Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband and VPN

Options
  • 24-02-2014 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hey guys

I have teh horizon UPC box. I would like to set up a VPN. Can i set up a VPN network on the router where i can log in and see any shared folders I have?

I dont know much bout VPN so any advice is good :-)

Thanks
    Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

What's the make and model of the horizon box ?

Eg. I've the old Cisco EPC3925.
    So a google search found the manual here, and page 57 describes setting up a VPN.

But VPN's can be tricky.
    Get it wrong, and it'll expose your local network to the world!

Eg. the "pptp" protocol is not very secure, so you shouldn't use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭allycavs

Thanks creeping death for the advice. i have the samsung horizon box which has an inbuilt router

If i can set up VPN from router does that mean i can access any shared folders once on the VPN?

as a work around can i install something like OpenVPN on my PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Yes you can install OpenVPN server on your PC. Give it a fixed IP address and forward the port you use for openvpn (default 1194) to the PC running OpenVPN server.

You can then install OpenVPN client on whatever device you will be using to remotely connect.

Your shared folders will then be available to the client device in the same way they would be if it was directly connected to your router.

wow thanks. and something like my iphone can this connect to the VPN?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Open VPN is available on a Mac so there might be an iphone app. There is an android one as I have used it in a Nexus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

allycavs wrote: »
    wow thanks. and something like my iphone can this connect to the VPN?

OpenVPN is not available on the iPhone, only PPTP, L2TP or IPSec.

I got VPN set up on my local network but when connecting from outside the network (3g) on my ipone connection fails to establish.

i have port forwarding port 1723 to the VPN machine. I have PPTP pass through enabled. rebooted router. Has anyone VPN set up with the Samsungf Horizon Box/Router?

Thanks
    Alan

Advertisement