Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debit list

Options
  • 24-02-2014 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi 
    After the SEPA changes and doing a little review of my accounts, I was wondering how does a customer get to see a list of all active DD registered against an account. 
    I understand I can go into accounts and more details, select direct debits/credits, but that only lists what was taken in the past. 

Is the only way, to ring 365 and ask a member of staff to review the account and give details back over the phone? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi northwestramble, 

Thanks for posting.

As you correctly mention, the above method will show you previous direct debits that have left your account. For further details, you will need to call a Bank of Ireland 365 representative who will be happy to help.

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭northwestramble

Thanks Billy, just one other question so on SEPA requests,  

I recently requested a number of SEPA DD to be cancelled via BOI new online request system and asked for confirmation when done via text. I just got one text message, does that mean all were processed or just one was done? 

You might pass onto the dev team that it would be good to bring back that option to list all DD on an account, with the SEPA details easy to expand out. As all the information is there already, am sure would not take long for the team to do it up. Would be a win for customers and also less calls to 365 so easier for BOI. 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Hi northwestramble, 

Thanks for posting.

As you correctly mention, the above method will show you previous direct debits that have left your account. For further details, you will need to call a Bank of Ireland 365 representative who will be happy to help.

Thanks

Billy
    When I called I was told that the agent couldn't view SEPA dd either? Just ones that previously debited the account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi northwestramble,

When multiple requests are sent the SEPA Direct Debit Team will send one text confirmation. If you wish to double check that all requests have been actioned, please call BOI365 or your branch and a representative will be more than happy to look into this for you.

Thanks for your suggestion, we will ensure to pass this on to our Web Development Team for review.

Hi Sirsok,

Although representatives do not have access to a list of SEPA Direct Debits set up on a particular account, they will be more than happy to request this from the SEPA Direct Debit Team.

Thanks
    Tara

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

This seems a very obvious requirement to have been overlooked?

• Advertisement

Hi Tara
    Ok, this SEPA thing seems to be getting a little more complicated, if I am reading your comment correctly then, when I ring 365, they cannot see my list of SEPA DD either, so they cannot confirm what is removed or what is still on my account? 
    The 365 team have to put a request into another Special team called the "SEPA Direct Debit Team" to get this list. If that is correct, can a customer just contact the "SEPA Direct Debit Team" directly. 

Is funny, I thought the whole idea of SEPA was to make it easier for customers :) I think you hit the nail on head there dub45, something was overlooked. 
    Maybe BOI was in a rush to meet a deadline, (which every bank knew about for well over a year) or maybe BOI really think that they made an improvement :) 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Hi northwestramble[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thank you for your post.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]As Tara advised, it is not possible to contact the administration team directly that fulfils customer requests for SEPA Direct Debits. Customers can contact their branch/Bank of Ireland 365, a representative will assist them with any queries they have relating to SEPA Direct Debits.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Although, we do offer a lot of additional information relating to SEPA Direct Debits, we are sorry to hear you are unhappy with the availability of a SEPA Direct Debit Listing. Thank you for your suggestions, if this is to change in the future, we will certainly advise our customers through the usual channels.[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Alison[/font]

Hi Alison
    Just to be clear, you are saying that I now have to call into a Branch to find out if all of my SEPA direct Debits are cancelled or see what SEPA Direct Debits are currently Active ? 
    I really hope that is not the case, I had thought that BOI was encouraging customers to do more online and not have to take time off work to simply find out if SEPA direct Debits are cancelled or which are on an account. 

Hi northwestramble

There will be no need to physically walk into a branch, you can phone your branch or Bank of Ireland 365 on 0818 365 365 or 00353 140 44000 for assistance.

A contact list of all our branches can be found here

We are aware you are unhappy with this change. If this facility becomes available we will certainly advise.

Thanks
    Alison

Thanks Alison
    Sorry about the confusion, just based on Sirock reply the 365 team could not see the list of SEPA DD on an account, I thought it was a kind of a mixed loop, that I would have to ring, then wait until the 365 team got details from the SEPA team before they could tell me about my Direct Debits. 

Glad that is not the case and a simple phone call to 365 will give me my full list of SEPA DD and non SEPA DD on my account along with which ones are pending cancellation. 
    Thank you for getting back and clearing that up. 

• Advertisement

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Just to explain this further for you, a representative in Bank of Ireland 365 will have the facility to provide this information to you, however, they will need to forward your request first to the administration team for SEPA Direct Debit requests and will contact you with the information you require.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I hope this helps.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Just came here to ask the same question.

I need to see a list of Direct Debits that are against my account rather than the ones that have debited my account. I think from a security point of view this list should be available incase a direct debit form gets into the wrong hands, a check can be done.

This was available prior to SEPA and should be reinstated. 

Thanks Alison, 
    Thanks for clearing that up,  is a shame there is a third step required in the process. As you say you will let us know if BOI ever decide to fix this. 

Sgarvan
    I really would love to understand the reasoning behind BOI making something more complex and difficult when the aim of SEPA is to make it easier for customers. I guess a few people in BOI missed that key objective of SEPA :) 

Just in case anyone is interested, here are the new steps to getting a list of Direct Debit active on your account. 

1. Ring 365 and specifically ask for the list of current active Direct Debits on your account, otherwise you get the list of DD that money has come out of your account over the last few weeks. (this you can see yourself online, by going into advanced transactions on the account). 
    2. They will then explain that that due to SEPA changes, staff on 365 no longer have access to this information and must send a request to the SEPA Team
    3. They will ask you for a contact number on which they will call you back once they get the information
    4. You wait for the call back, and hope that you are free at the time they call you back. 

Compare this to before
    1. Log on to 365 and see a full list of your direct debits. 

A little update on this. I had it confirmed today that BOI currently cannot give users a list of Active Direct DD on a customers account following the SEPA changes. 

What they can give you is what DD have gone out of your account in the last few months, and a list of what you have cancelled. Then you can cross match and figure out what is still active.  

Which in 99% of cases should be ok, but I think there can be cases of where you have an old Direct Debit that has not yet presented  and you cannot find out if that is still against your account. The team here might confirm if that situation is possible.  

Hi northwestramble, 

Many thanks for your post.

A Banking 365 representative can request a full listing of your SEPA Direct Debits. The rep would not have direct access to this although they can contact the Admin Team, request the information and contact a custmer back. 

I believe Alison has already mentioned this to you here:
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Just to explain this further for you, a representative in Bank of Ireland 365 will have the facility to provide this information to you, however, they will need to forward your request first to the administration team for SEPA Direct Debit requests and will contact you with the information you require.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]I hope this helps.[/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif]Thanks[/font]

Thanks

Billy

Hi Billy
    I am sorry to have to correct that slightly. I rang 365 yesterday morning and the rep was helpful she took my request that I wanted a list of active DD on my account. She explained she would have to contact the SEPA team as Alison had outlined. 

She ran me back today to say that sadly she was not able to give me a full list of active DD on my account, that it was explained to her it was down to "technical reasons", but she could give me the DD that were cancelled. 
    So I have asked for that and she is contacting the SEPA team for that and will ring me back this evening or tomorrow as soon as she gets the information.

I have to say the rep on 365 like on here with you and team, was very helpful and she took the time to explain why she could not get the information.  

However, if you are saying it is possible to get the information, then I am happy to give you my details in a PM for you to get the details from the SEPA team, or to have someone call me with the details.  

I really only want a list of my DD on my account :) 

Hi northwestramble,

Many thanks for your post.

We would like to look into this for you.

If you can please send a PM with your full name, account holding branch and contact details, we will follow up with the SEPA Team for you.

Thanks 

Billy 

It is absurd that a customer has to go to such lengths to get such basic information.
    Is there any reason that this information cannot be made readily available?

Is it because under SEPA the companies hold the dd mandates?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Removing such a basic function from online banking is absolutely crazy.

From a basic budgeting/personal cash flow point of view, i like to be able to have a quick look at the DDs due out in the coming week or month so i know how much money I have.

BOI need to address this ASAP.

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments and feedback.

As part of Bank of Ireland's transition to SEPA it was decided to change the process of viewing a listing of Direct Debits based on the active transaction records on customer accounts.

This change was made because pre-SEPA, direct debit listings contained inconsistent information, such as cancelled and expired mandates which had not been updated by the originator/company.

This new approach ensures accuracy of information, in addition, each SEPA direct debit transaction carries with it improved information on the direct debit, which was not available under the old system.

Please also be aware, as a customer, you now have an increased number of rights regarding the management of your SEPA Direct Debits. We would encourage all customers using SEPA Direct Debits to access this information to ensure you are fully aware of the benefits and rights now available to you under this enhanced scheme.

We would also like to advise, where a direct debit mandate is signed, but has not yet presented, the originator is obliged to send the debtor (customer) a pre-notification form prior to raising the first transaction. So, until such notification is made, the mandate is not yet activated. 

Due to these enhancements, Bank of Ireland has no plans to return to the 'old' style view of direct debit information.

We trust this clarifies the removal of the Direct Debit screen online.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

I'm sorry Tara but your answer completely glosses over the fact that the new "improved" online banking has excluded a very basic function.

Highlighting some of the new SEPA functions is all very well and i'm sure they will be very useful, albeit rarely used.

Online banking is supposed to streamline banking for customers and effectively reduce personal interactions with the bank, which for the bank and for customers is costly.

Just because the old DD listings are inaccurate for some (mine never were anyway) doesn't mean that the new one has to be. A DD list based on previous presentation/payment of DDs is all I am after anyway.

What i'm forced to do now is to go through my bank statements and jot down on an excel spreadsheet what my various DDs are and what time of the month they hit my account, this is lunacy!

Hi Fishyfreak,

Just to clarify this for you, a list of direct debits based on previous presentation/payment is available on 365 online. To access this, please select the advanced option on the Recent Transactions page and from the ‘Show’ drop-down menu, chose ‘Direct Debits/Credits'. This will display any previous payments debited from your account by direct debit. You can then use the export function, if you wish, to note them on an excel spreadsheet.

We thank you taking the time to post as all feedback is greatly appreciated and passed on to the appropriate area.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭Tow

To access this, please select the advanced option on the Recent Transactions page and from the ‘Show’ drop-down menu, chose ‘Direct Debits/Credits'. This will display any previous payments debited from your account by direct debit. You can then use the export function, if you wish, to note them on an excel spreadsheet

But this does not allow us to manage the direct debits, as per the SEPA rules. The BOI SEPA management 'system' is 100% manual with customers filling paper or 'on-line' forms and your SEPA team manually processing them.
    At the moment we get no advance notification of new debits which are going to be taken, which is the reason new SEPA debits have to be send in 6 days in advance!

Also, When making credit transfers with 365, only 25 (alpha, numeric and spaces) characters can be entered in the Reference fields (aka SEPA End to End Identification which is 35 characters) and the recipient only receives 20 of these including '365 ' which is tacked on to the front. In addition these transfers from 365 do not have the dropdown box to display the additional SEPA information sent with the credit.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Hi Tow,

As mentioned above:
    We would also like to advise, where a direct debit mandate is signed, but has not yet presented, the originator is obliged to send the debtor (customer) a pre-notification form prior to raising the first transaction. So, until such notification is made, the mandate is not yet activated. 
    In relation to the dropdown box not being available, can we clarify, do you mean it's not available on the receiving bank's side? I may be misunderstanding your post and please correct me if I'm wrong, this sounds like something that needs to be raised with the receiving bank. 

I have referred your comments, regarding the character limit in the Reference field, to our Web Team and we'll update you when they come back to us. 

Thanks
    Tara

Hi Tara,

That may be grand in a perfect world, but in reality any debit originator can debit anyone in the SEPA area once they have their BIC and IBAN and a copy of a mandate will only be looked for if a dispute is raised between the 13 month and 8 week period. That is why SEPA has all the notification and debit management requirements. These should be available directly to customers and not require pushing paperwork around, except where there is a serious dispute. The current 'paper based' interface between customers and your backend SEPA systems is just costing BOI money and annoying customers...
    In relation to the dropdown box not being available, can we clarify, do you mean it's not available on the receiving bank's side? I may be misunderstanding your post and please correct me if I'm wrong, this sounds like something that needs to be raised with the receiving bank. 

SEPA Credit Transfers from 365 eg:

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Hi Tara,

That may be grand in a perfect world, but in reality any debit originator can debit anyone in the SEPA area once they have their BIC and IBAN and a copy of a mandate will only be looked for if a dispute is raised between the 13 month and 8 week period. That is why SEPA has all the notification and debit management requirements. These should be available directly to customers and not require pushing paperwork around, except where there is a serious dispute. The current 'paper based' interface between customers and your backend SEPA systems is just costing BOI money and annoying customers...

SEPA Credit Transfers from 365 eg:

297350.jpg

Hi All,

Thanks for your comments and feedback.

As part of Bank of Ireland's transition to SEPA it was decided to change the process of viewing a listing of Direct Debits based on the active transaction records on customer accounts.

This change was made because pre-SEPA, direct debit listings contained inconsistent information, such as cancelled and expired mandates which had not been updated by the originator/company.

This new approach ensures accuracy of information, in addition, each SEPA direct debit transaction carries with it improved information on the direct debit, which was not available under the old system.

Please also be aware, as a customer, you now have an increased number of rights regarding the management of your SEPA Direct Debits. We would encourage all customers using SEPA Direct Debits to access this information to ensure you are fully aware of the benefits and rights now available to you under this enhanced scheme.

Due to these enhancements, Bank of Ireland has no plans to return to the 'old' style view of direct debit information.

We trust this clarifies the removal of the Direct Debit screen online.

Thanks
    Tara
    What updating would an originator be doing on an individual's account? Surely that is between the customer and his/her branch?

In spite of the constant claims that SEPA increases customer rights etc it is a disaster from the Customers point of view.

Also given that the banks cannot guarantee that a cancelled direct debit cannot be represented and met (with no consequences for the company concerned) how can we take seriously all the other supposed wonderful new facilities we have been promised?

Also how can you use the word "enhancements" when the basic service has obviously been worsened as is evidenced here by the comments?

Hi Tow,

As mentioned above:

I have referred your comments, regarding the character limit in the Reference field, to our Web Team and we'll update you when they come back to us. 

Thanks
    Tara
    And how is this obligation actually enforced?  Is there anything to stop an originator presenting a dd for payment?  How can the bank know if the pre-notification form has been sent?

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »
    Is there anything to stop an originator presenting a dd for payment?

I'll let the BOI Reps answer your other two questions.
    Under SEPA the first time an 'Originator' debts you they have to send it into the bank 6 working days in advance. This is to give the bank time to notify you and you to reject it. If the Originator does not do this (6 days in advance)the bank will automatically reject it. BOI have not implemented the advance notification.
    You can also operate your accounts with a Black list of banned or a White list of approved Originators. BOI can actually do this, but due to what I will just call limitations of technology, it operates via paper. Here is a link to the form: http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/fs/doc/wysiwyg/css075529-sepa-instructions-add-or-delete-creditors-to-black-or-white-list-master280114.pdf

Advertisement