Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debit list

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

dub45 wrote: »
    What updating would an originator be doing on an individual's account? Surely that is between the customer and his/her branch?
    Hi dub45,

The updating would be to the direct debit facility that the originator has set up on the customer's account i.e. cancelling it after the customer has instructed them to do so. There are many customer benefits to the SEPA Direct Debit scheme and more information on these are available on the links provided in previous Rep posts within this thread.

Thanks
    Tara  

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭Tow

Hi Tow,

As mentioned above:
    We would also like to advise, where a direct debit mandate is signed, but has not yet presented, the originator is obliged to send the debtor (customer) a pre-notification form prior to raising the first transaction. So, until such notification is made, the mandate is not yet activated. 
    In relation to the dropdown box not being available, can we clarify, do you mean it's not available on the receiving bank's side? I may be misunderstanding your post and please correct me if I'm wrong, this sounds like something that needs to be raised with the receiving bank. 

I have referred your comments, regarding the character limit in the Reference field, to our Web Team and we'll update you when they come back to us. 

Thanks
    Tara

Hi Tara,
    Any update from your Web Team on the truncation of the 'Reference' (EndToEnd ID, 35 Character) field and the addition of '365' to the data as entered by the user?
    If could be argued that this a breach of the data protection acts... 
    Also, is there any update as to why there is no dropdown option to display the additional fields sent with SEPA Credit Transfers, as there is per Debit Transfers.

Tow.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Tow, 

Apologies for the delay with coming back to you on this. We have received the following response to your queries:

The 25 characters in the reference field on BOI365 Online is provided for a SEPA payment and translates to the End to End ID in the Interbank Message (which travels with the payment). This, combined with the facility for payment initiators to avail of an extended messaging capability of up to 140 characters, is what is provided on our online payment solution. If there is a need to send more than 25 reference characters, then the extended data field may be used.

If the beneficiary of the payment is a BOI customer, the full reference field of 25 characters and also the 140 character extended data for credits is available on a drop down facility on BOI365 Online - similar to direct debits.  This information is available to payment beneficiaries and not to the initiators of the payments. However, it is provided to initiators on the PIN confirmation screen prior to completing the transfer.  This is our service and we will be making no further engagement on this thread.   

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 7 keanob

I think this dumbing down of the direct debit services on 365 online is a deliberate move by the bank to make it more difficult for customers to stop/start direct debit services. It flies in the face of good user interface design and can not have been an oversight in my opinion. With the clunky manual interface they meet the bare minimum functionality required by SEPA but in doing so have stepped back about 15 years in web interface functionality. Very 1990s!

Imagine the scenario where it is as simple as selecting a direct debit and entering PIN details to confirm. It would be too easy for consumers to control pause/reject/stop/start of direct debits and create a headache for the bank.

I can think of no other logical reason for the bank to do this. Why lose functionality like this and risk losing customers to competitors because of it? I will be looking around to see what competitors are doing with their online SEPA function and certainly will consider moving if the online experience is more user friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi keanob

Thank you for contacting us here on Boards.

We are sorry to hear you are unhappy with the SEPA services available online. 

If you are experiencing any difficulties with managing these new options, you can call Bank of Ireland 365, a representative can help and talk you through this.

Our contact numbers are 0818 365 365 / 00353 140 44000. 

Our representatives are available Monday -Friday 8am-12 midnight
                                                          Saturday, Sunday & Bank Holidays 9am-6pm

You may also find this link here helpful.

We appreciate the time taken to send us your feedback here on Boards. We will certainly pass your comments to our SEPA Development Team.

If you have any further questions, you can also contact us here again. We're always happy to help.

Thanks
    Alison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 deadlysurfer

Hi

I think its unbelievable that these changes have been made to make it "easier" and facilitate the services to customers and that we are lied on the phone saying that other banks avail of the same services when this is not true.

I have another account with ULSTER bank and you can check and manage your Direct Debits and Standing Orders online; something that the people on the phone of 365 have consistently said it is not possible even with other banks.

Maybe with this what Bank of Ireland is looking for is a loss of customers to other banks?

Also I have been charged fees for "unpaid DD fee" on a few occasions since this account and I can not manage, know or see what these DD are about.

Not even in a branch... it is not possible to manage your own accounts and your own money. What comes next.... just taking fee's for everything first and sending us the payment advice letters after the  money has already been taken off our accounts??? Ah no... you do this already Bank of Ireland! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula C

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Hi deadlysurfer,[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Welcome to boards and thank you for your query.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]While there may have been changes to how you view and manage your direct debits online due to the introductions of SEPA, it is certainly possible to obtain a full list of your SEPA Direct Debits by contacting our BOI365 Team on 0818 365 365 or via the Online Service Desk. A representative through either of these channels can request this information on your behalf from the Administration team.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]We are sorry to hear you are having difficulties identify the unpaid charges on your account. It is possible to request more information on these unpaid charges through the “ask a question” section of the Online Service Desk. Again a representative will be more than happy to query this further for you and supply you with the information.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]We hope this information is of benefit to you, if we can assist you with anything else please do not hesitate to contact us.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Paula C[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 2 deadlysurfer

Hi guys

What I am saying is that other banks such as ULSTER BANK or AIB, provide a list of active direct debits in their website and Bank of Ireland doesn't.

It seems to me and most customers i speak with that you just didn't bother providing the option at your website as others did.

Calling and having to request a list and wait for it ia ridiculous in the modern age of online services.

Thanks
    [font=Arial", "sans-serif]Hi deadlysurfer,[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Welcome to boards and thank you for your query.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]While there may have been changes to how you view and manage your direct debits online due to the introductions of SEPA, it is certainly possible to obtain a full list of your SEPA Direct Debits by contacting our BOI365 Team on 0818 365 365 or via the Online Service Desk. A representative through either of these channels can request this information on your behalf from the Administration team.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]We are sorry to hear you are having difficulties identify the unpaid charges on your account. It is possible to request more information on these unpaid charges through the “ask a question” section of the Online Service Desk. Again a representative will be more than happy to query this further for you and supply you with the information.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]We hope this information is of benefit to you, if we can assist you with anything else please do not hesitate to contact us.[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Thanks,[/font]

[font=Arial", "sans-serif]Paula C[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

What I am saying is that other banks such as ULSTER BANK or AIB, provide a list of active direct debits in their website and Bank of Ireland doesn't.
    Small correction, but AIB don't provide this list. At least not to personal customers, I don't know about business ones

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Janet

Hi deadlysurfer,

Thank you for your post.

We will pass on your feedback to the relevant department as we are continually looking at ways to improve the service we provide for our customers.

If we can assist you with anything else please do not hesitate to contact us.

Janette

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mintyirl

Why as a customer am I not able to see a full list of my own active direct debits on banking 365. The service was there before why can I not see it now. Can I expect it in the future? Not willing to ring and wait on hold while branch understaffed or do I just have to move banks??? 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi mintyirl.

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to Boards.ie.

Since the introduction of SEPA, it is no longer possible to view a list of active direct debits on accounts. However, it is possible to view your previous direct debits by selecting ‘Statements’ followed by the ‘Recent Transactions’ tab. Then, on the right of the screen you should see ‘Advanced’ which will reveal a drop down menu where you can specify to only show 'Direct Debits/Credits' within a specific time frame.

If you require a list of your active SEPA Direct Debits, you will need to contact your account holding branch directly where a representative will be happy to assist you. Contact details for your branch can be found here.

Hope this helps. If we can assist you further, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Laura 

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

This is a retrograde step in functionality compared to the Direct Debit information that used to be available under 365, and is another example of how poorly designed and badly implemented that 365 online is.  If BOI are serious about reducing in-branch service, simply providing suitable tools on the online banking system would resolve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I can't figure this out either. I go through this new drawn out process and figure out what dds have (recently) been active however I won't ever know if something that I thought I cancelled two years ago might all of a sudden withdraw a DD as I didn't know if it was active or not.

If UB can do it I'm sure BOI can. Is there any chance a further request could be forwarded to the team in charge?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Given that the bank no longer holds the actual mandates how can anyone know if a dd mandate has actually been cancelled? This would suggest that any mandate ever given by a customer to a business can be reactivated at any time?

FGR wrote: »
    I can't figure this out either. I go through this new drawn out process and figure out what dds have (recently) been active however I won't ever know if something that I thought I cancelled two years ago might all of a sudden withdraw a DD as I didn't know if it was active or not.

If UB can do it I'm sure BOI can. Is there any chance a further request could be forwarded to the team in charge?
    Hi FGR

Thanks for making contact with us here.

The direct debit transactions can be viewed within the transaction history option on BOI365 Online. It will go back 12 months for you. 

If you have any queries regarding active direct debits on your account, you can also log in online and use the 'Online Service Desk' facility, selecting 'Ask A Question' from the drop down menu. A colleague will be happy to check this for you. 

Thanks for taking the time to send us your suggestions. We'll certainly forward these to our BOI365 Development Team.

Many Thanks
    Alison

Given that the bank no longer holds the actual mandates how can anyone know if a dd mandate has actually been cancelled? This would suggest that any mandate ever given by a customer to a business can be reactivated at any time?
    Hi dub45

Thanks for posting your concerns regarding reactivating SEPA Direct Debit mandates.

The SEPA Direct Debit mandate can be cancelled using SEPA Direct Debit Services.  If a company tries to debit under the previously cancelled Creditor ID on the mandate the payment will be refused.

It's possible a company or retailer may choose to try and debit a customer's account again. In the case they're successful, the customer is protected with the 8 week 'No Questions Asked Refund' and after this 8 week period, Bank of Ireland will certainly raise a dispute with the company. 

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Alison

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi dub45

Thanks for posting your concerns regarding reactivating SEPA Direct Debit mandates.

The SEPA Direct Debit mandate can be cancelled using SEPA Direct Debit Services.  If a company tries to debit under the previously cancelled Creditor ID on the mandate the payment will be refused.

It's possible a company or retailer may choose to try and debit a customer's account again. In the case they're successful, the customer is protected with the 8 week 'No Questions Asked Refund' and after this 8 week period, Bank of Ireland will certainly raise a dispute with the company. 

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Alison
    The reality is that a company can resubmit a cancelled direct debit at any time with impunity.  The banks have no system in place to protect a customer upfront.  Giving a customer back money that should never have been taken in the first place is not protection it is correcting a wrong after the event. 

What happens if a customer is left without money over a weekend or caused serious embarassment by a company behaving in this way? When companies behave in this way as they do there appears to be no onus on bank employees to report the matter and pursue it.

No company or indeed a bank would tolerate a customer accessing their account and taking money from it why should the ordinary person put up with it.

Advertisement