Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Exploring in Dublin

Options
  • 24-02-2014 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi
    I an really keen to go exploring some abandoned buildings around Dublin. I am a visual artist and my work is currently based on derelict spaces. I am looking for people who might be interested in the same sort of thing, but I cannot find any recent posts on the subject, so my apologies for starting a new thread on this well-worn topic!

Anyone know of an active Urbex group, still getting out there and taking a peek at some interesting sites? I am itching to gather some new source material for my work and I think it would be more fun, (and safer!), to do with other people.

Any information on this subject would be gratefully received.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭hutman

Lets go! There are some others on here interested in this too, if they don't post here soon I'll post more details.. A bit stuck for time at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Vauney Strahan

Hi Hutman.
    That would be great. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jackjustjumped

I'd be very up for this too, sounds like a great idea.

Theres a google community here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/106026217191470268225 which has some suggestions, the guy behind is called Cozski on here, we haven't managed to meet in recent times though! Theres also: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1243 this forum on here. How's next weekend for some exploring? The 8th of March, I'm away this weekend

Thanks for that hutsman

I've just checked out those two links. Hope to join the group hosted by Cozski.
    Just wondering if you could tell me, will I be able to post in the Urban Exploration forum? I don't see this thread there. Just a bit confused and trying to figure out how to use the Boards.ie

Thanks a million for your help. Definitely like to go exploring soon. I can't go sat 8th, but could on sun 9th? Jackjustjumped and anyone else?

• Advertisement

The 9th works for me! Any ideas where you'd like to go? The urban exploration group I sent is a closed group I'm not sure how you gain access

Great!
    Haven't really thought about a specific site yet. I always wanted to get into the old John Player factory on South Circular Road for an 'ol browse around, as I've heard its pretty deadly inside, but I don't know how easy it is to get in, or if its possible at all. Have you any idea?

I'v just realized that we might get some good insights and advice if I posted this idea on the Urban Exploration forum. Sorry, it's taking me a while to get my head around how to use the Boards.ie

Anyway, I'm gonna go ahead and post a few photos, (on that forum), of some exploring-based work I've done in Co. Mayo, as that's what I'm itching to get going on again!

Hope to see your input there you guys. I'll call it "Urbex Itch", (just so's you know what to look for!).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I always wanted to get into the old John Player factory on South Circular Road for an 'ol browse around, as I've heard its pretty deadly inside, but I don't know how easy it is to get in, or if its possible at all.

:Dhttp://allseeing.me/strange-landscape/ and http://pix.ie/pullandbang/album/459084/goto/3232935

Great photos Pullandbang!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Those are some fantastic shots you've got there jonnykitedude. Some of the asylum ones are deeply disturbing but impressive at the same time. You ever been inside the big deserted asylum in cork city? I tried to get in last summer but failed 😟

Thanks, No myself and Pull&Bang had planned on a visit until it was recently set on fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bumblecat

Hi!
    I was just wondering about the same thing :D ... Im currently in Dublin until May and want to do some urban exploration...

Maybe we can make a fb group (secret one hehe) or something...?

Cheers,

-T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

Abandoned Ireland. Always interesting.

Sounds great Bumblecat
    Hutman, and anyone else, want to check out the John Player factory on SCR next Sunday? anyone know if we can get in easily enough?

Well boarded up with live in security.

Dang!

If anyone else has a good place for me to start my Urbex adventure in Dublin, I'm all ears. Failing that, I am still keen to check out Pigeon House, although I guess some of you have already stomped that ground already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bumblecat

Maybe I'm pushing my luck with this, but isn't anyone else fascinated by the idea of a secret society?
    Like this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Club_(secret_society)

Would anyone be keen to form one? I am 21 and at university, is anyone else interested in this?
    I'm out for two weeks starting this saturday though...so I wont be able to go anywhere until after
    that (unless you guys go somewhere friday night...)

Poolbeg sounds good too, and I'm free Sunday or possibly Friday evening.

• Advertisement

Sunday works for me Hutman.

Where's Poolbeg?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

bumblecat wrote: »
    Maybe I'm pushing my luck with this, but isn't anyone else fascinated by the idea of a secret society?
    Never really been into that sort of thing. I find too many urbexers just trudge a similar path in an attempt to fit in. That's why there's so many of them using horrible HDR or shooting advanced selfies of themselves in vintage gas masks. I'd rather do it with a couple of friends. I've never gone in a group bigger than three but a lot of the time it's just myself and another friend.

I'd advise against arranging a date and location on a public forum. Discretion is best when organising these things. Best of luck with it though if ye go for it :)

Okay, thanks for the heads up Inbaz. Still kinda green about both Urbex and the Boards.ie.

Is it okay if you PM somebody then?

Yeah, of course :) It's just in case security got a wind of the exact date and were expecting you on the day! You'd be surprised at who monitors urban exploration forums/websites.

Usually as a guide, access details (how to get into a building or compound), the dates/places of meets and sometimes the name/location of sensitive sites are the three main things that are usually best out of the open and kept to PMs.

Okay.

Thanks again for that. Duly noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

Poolbeg (The ESB bit at least) is pretty sketchy these days.
    I went about a year back and the gate was open, so I went back the next day with a band for a shoot. The place is literally crumbling under your feet. I fell through the stairs and got wedged between levels at one point. Other parts are pitch black and you're relying on skimpy, crumbling metal to hold you up. It's just not safe.

They've really done a job locking the place off since then too - extra spiked railings, heavy duty locks etc., and I wouldn't recommend anyone go in. Even the outsides can be rough enough - we found a spate of discarded needles and human excrement.

It's your call, just don't expect it to be easy, safe or fun!

Yikes!

Think we might go somewhere else then. Any suggestions?

Deadlie wrote: »
    Poolbeg (The ESB bit at least) is pretty sketchy these days.
    I went about a year back and the gate was open, so I went back the next day with a band for a shoot.

QUOTE]

Ah so that's why its so boarded up!! A band...seriously?

It's fine once you know your surroundings, all Urbex has its issues.

I was recently here for my 2nd visit and you can gain access......you just need to be creative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Deadlie

Ah so that's why its so boarded up!! A band...seriously?

Feck off. There were regular model shoots going on in there the whole time. DIT even used it for all it's promo stuff for a while: http://goo.gl/iWPehe And there's a dozen Irish bands that used it to record videos in. But if you want to blame me for it being boarded up, go ahead.

"It's fine once you know your surroundings" - so is Iraq. But I was trying to be helpful - the place is a deathtrap for the average punter. The roof has been declared unstable and could cave in at any minute, there's syringes all about the place and the floor is as flimsy as feck in parts. But if you're all cool and brave, go for it. There are far safer places to go Urbexing where the risk of getting Hep C doesn't exist.

Advertisement