Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8.1?

• 24-02-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭

I have the option to take one of these and put it on my new PC at home.
    Which one should I choose and why?

The machine will be used for Web Development / Media Server and Gaming.

I love the Windows 7 UI etc so I'm leaning that way... but understand support for it will wane in a few years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭thehouses

For a new system I would go with 8.1 because of longer support and you can add in a free tool to return the proper start menu very easily. It is supposed to be faster and more secure as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

windows 7 ends 2020! windows 8.1 2023, and if you can get a chance look at the april edition of PC Advisor page 24 and that may help you to choose 8.1.

You dont say how peorful the home pc is ie 64 or 32bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Sorry 64 bit... would that be a factor in deciding between 7 or 8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Windows 8.1 with Classic Shell >> Windows 7, although Windows 7 is also a fine choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭janeparker

Windows 8.1 is available with enhanced GUI that helps to boost gaming experience for users.

I ended up installing 8.1... huge learning curve but I'll get it eventually ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

mrcheez wrote: »
    I ended up installing 8.1... huge learning curve but I'll get it eventually ;)

Try classic shell if you find the metro thing to be annoying. It basically turns it into Windows 7 or XP layout, whichever you prefer. Best addon I have used in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Or wait for Windows 9 next April, such is Microsoft's confidence in 8. Who knows, it may be as good as 7 if they are careful (7 is as good an OS they have ever produced)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

mrcheez wrote: »
    I love the Windows 7 UI etc so I'm leaning that way... but understand support for it will wane in a few years.

13 years after its release and I still have XP Pro on one of my desktops. I keep getting my updates and security fixes as normal. Didn't Microsoft also once say that they would stop supporting XP in 2011? So OP if they're supporting XP for this long, I wouldn't be worried about going with Windows 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 Traitor

13 years after its release and I still have XP Pro on one of my desktops. I keep getting my updates and security fixes as normal. Didn't Microsoft also once say that they would stop supporting XP in 2011? So OP if they're supporting XP for this long, I wouldn't be worried about going with Windows 7.

Screw NT. Use windows 3.1 or 95. It runs amazingly fast on current hardware. (if you can get it to boot on over 2 gigs).

Advertisement