Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colm Hayes 2fm Driveby

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

He just reads off the Daily Mail gossip site. Says Driveby at least 300 times and cares more about kim kardashian than any teenage girl I know. How is that being a national broadcaster?

Don't forget the constant mentions of Twitter and Man Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

listened to Will on Saturday driving home and have to say much better than Driveby(and more popular going by the requests). I wonder how long Healy will give this show. Its clearly not working and needs to change to some other format.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mrscloudatlas

listened to Will on Saturday driving home and have to say much better than Driveby(and more popular going by the requests). I wonder how long Healy will give this show. Its clearly not working and needs to change to some other format.

Dan Healy is clearly not working.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Dan healy is under no pressure from the top in RTE. The place needs a clean out of presenters and tired same old same old producers!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Dan Healy is clearly not working.
    Colm Hayes is clearly not working. As everyone on here and about 3,000 people said on Facebook before he started.

Colm Hayes on Drive, a peak slot on a "youth station" was never going to work in any way shape or form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

I'm just one more who has switched. Colm Hayes' programme is complete dross it's unbearable. Nothing on this show works, the pathetic banter, the ridiculous competitions (the inane simple rules of which need to be explained as though it was the krypton factor), the relaying of nonsense twitter feeds and tabloid articles! Please 2fm treat the listeners with possessing some degree of brain matter :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

Colm off again next week... Eoghan Mcdermott filling in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

Colm off again next week... Eoghan Mcdermott filling in.

He's being eased out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Twas Not wrote: »
    He's being eased out

Hopefully.
    Off on holidays again. That is some handy number. For a stupid quiz that takes up half the show, endlessly calling out the name of the show, talking about his beloved Man U, and failing miserably at trying to relate to anyone from beyond the city boundary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Cork_chick_94

Does anybody know what the logic was taking Colm Hayes off the air for 7 or 8 weeks back January/February ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Does anybody know what the logic was putting Colm Hayes on the air ?

FYP.

Twas Not wrote: »
    He's being eased out

Heres hoping!!!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

I remeber reading somewhere that he is an actual rte employee so not on contract? could be the reason why they didnt dump him in the revamp....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

I remeber reading somewhere that he is an actual rte employee so not on contract? could be the reason why they didnt dump him in the revamp....

Was he not getting paid 3 times the amount of Fat Jim (when they were both at RTE) ? Fat Jim went spastic when he found out and they haven't spoken since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Listened to Eoghan today - Fantastic! Although nearly swerved off the road though when a competition caller said "You're doing a great job instead of Colm!" to nervous high-pitched laughter from Eoghan who then flustered "Well, ehm, sure well ehmm, thank you very much! Ehm..." and then proceeded to rip the pee out the caller for (a) getting a ridiculously simple Robin Williams (RIP) question wrong, & (b) texting the wrong number to enter the competition... "Your day couldn't be going any worse now, could it now? G'wan now?!!"

So I'll tune in again for the rest of this week for sure - then back to DCFM Live Drive or playlists off my phone again from next week. I truly hope RTE Radio advertisers are reading and taking note...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭eam77

Eoghan McDermott used to do drive on xfm London. He was very good at it. He's a natural on radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

I think he's awful.

He's more suited to that Chris and Ciara shite that does be on late at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

That eohgan chap was great craic this week, enjoyed the show, he is a complete nutter, they should make him full time on that slot

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭chilloutrelax

Beaker 7 wrote: »
    Maybe Leahy may be brought back on the largest JNLR disaster for 2fm?

The Breakfast show was the big disaster in the JNLRs. Colm Hayes didnt change much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Longwave Listener

Beaker 7 wrote: »
    Maybe Leahy may be brought back on the largest JNLR disaster for 2fm?

Will Leahy's ratings on drive were never good either.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭chilloutrelax

Will Leahy's ratings on drive were never good either.

Agreed, his figures were always low. Some people forget that. No real change since Colm took over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I wish people would move on. 2fm will never go back to the way it was. Listeners need to move on and hope RTE expand the Gold station. It's the way forward for the over 35s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Is Al Porter doing co-host with Colm Hayes now? Over the last few weeks when switching between radio stations on the way home he seems to always be on with him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

gazzer wrote: »
    Is Al Porter doing co-host with Colm Hayes now? Over the last few weeks when switching between radio stations on the way home he seems to always be on with him.

He's the only thing that makes that show bearable when you don't want to listen to talk shows.
    I can see it going the same way as Rick O'Shea and Cormac Battle.
    The less Hayes has to say the better.

listened to it on the bus yesterday. still as poor as ever. had no choice couldnt turn over. I think the increased bit with the comedian is even worse to be honest.

Tuned in the other evening just to see if it had improved at all but it was as atrocious as ever. Colm Hayes is so full of himself i just cant listen to his indulgent prattle! Have switched over to 98fms Dara Quilty it's SO much better and I'm less likely to smash the radio in annoyance! Remember if you don't like it switch!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Expunge

Dan Healy reckons that Hayes is Ireland's greatest broadcaster and has said as much in presentations on his stable of stars.
    He frequently forgets to mention that Ireland's best paid presenter, Ryan Tubridy, is also on his schedule like he's embarrassed by that fact or something.

Ah here don't get me started on Tubridy!!! Another broadcaster with an ego the size of a small planet. They're all in a mutual appreciation society..... and by the way you're great!! (See we can start our own club!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭radioland

He's the only thing that makes that show bearable when you don't want to listen to talk shows.
    I can see it going the same way as Rick O'Shea and Cormac Battle.
    The less Hayes has to say the better.

Al Porter made the show bearable - seriously? Glad I don't listen to 2fm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭ofcork

Havent listened to that show in months and don't miss it one bit,if I tuned in tomorrow it would be the same old drivel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

et101 wrote: »
    Tuned in the other evening just to see if it had improved at all but it was as atrocious as ever. Colm Hayes is so full of himself i just cant listen to his indulgent prattle! Have switched over to 98fms Dara Quilty it's SO much better and I'm less likely to smash the radio in annoyance! Remember if you don't like it switch!!

Yup, Colm Hayes is full of his own self-importance, and to be fair I find the show a bit of a mismash.

However, I really find it hard for people to find Dara Quilty all that fantastic. I've been giving his show a go for a while now, and I just can't get into him. He's trying to be a quirky host (with a tongue-in-cheek styling) which got the preteen girls laughing on Spin, but I don't know how it could possibly go down for the older(-ish) 98FM listeners.

eam77 wrote: »
    Eoghan McDermott used to do drive on xfm London. He was very good at it. He's a natural on radio

I must hand it to him... He's done well. He's far from my cup of tea. He's also a personality with a lot of ego (which broadcaster hasn't got some, to some point!). If he can get the big gigs, fair play to him, but I can't stand the guy. Prattling on Pop4 back in the day, and continuing on RTE with The Voice and the like. No thanks. I knew that he was buddy-buddy with the RTE/industry boys, but whoa.
    Boscoirl wrote: »
    That eohgan chap was great craic this week, enjoyed the show, he is a complete nutter, they should make him full time on that slot

See above.

bbability wrote: »
    I wish people would move on. 2fm will never go back to the way it was. Listeners need to move on and hope RTE expand the Gold station. It's the way forward for the over 35s.

Alas, this is the truth. 2FM has consistently messed up. Unfortunately, Today FM can't nail the catchment, but they could make a killing if they could steal the odd few decent presenters and broadcasters and use them. However, they should never. I don't think that there is a place for a national youth broadcaster, despite what I used to believe, but 2FM should call it a day and just go Gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭xMallx

Seems to be very much the colm and Al show now.

xMallx wrote: »
    Seems to be very much the colm and Al show now.
    had the misfortune to listen to it recently and yes it seems that the "comedian" is playing a bigger role. Still awful and hopefully i wont have to hear it again too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Al Porter is absolutely insufferable

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Jack Nana

It's truly awful - when it be taken off the air for good?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

This show just gives off an aura of smugness. And Colm has the right to be smug given the fact that no other national station would give the man with the talent of a stool sample a job on radio. The fact that he was Gerry Ryan's friend is keeping him in business, he knows too much about the old regime to be let go........

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds that Al chap insufferable. He is beyond terrible. Giving him time on the mic is the very definition of flogging a dead horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds that Al chap insufferable. He is beyond terrible. Giving him time on the mic is the very definition of flogging a dead horse.

Porter is modeling himself on Frankie Howerd / Larry Grayson. Its old school camp innuendo double entendre comedy but its place is not on 2fm now or ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Honestly - this show makes me cringe.I stick it on for a few minutes on the drive home from work now and then and i find myself changing after about 4 minutes!

Its just so badly organised and slap dash. Really - there has to be someone who can do far better in this prime slot perhaps my 3.5 year old Niece?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭deise man

The show was bad before but they've actually made it worse by adding al porter. Probably two of the worst shows on radio start and finish the working day on 2fm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

deise man wrote: »
    The show was bad before but they've actually made it worse by adding al porter. Probably two of the worst shows on radio start and finish the working day on 2fm.

Hence Ian gets my ear on the way to work and Gareth O'Callaghan gets it on the way home. Still like the midday shows on 2FM however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Complete and utter tripe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Said it before and I'll say it again. This show is beyond awful. It's tripe, terrible, I cannot listen to a nano second of it. How he has 10 listeners, never mind 100k is beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Rubylolz

Drivetime used to be my favourite show on the radio, always light hearted an easy listening for the hour journey home in the evening. But since Colm hayes an al porter have taken it over it grates on my nerves like nails going down a blackboard!
    They try to hard to be funny, can they ever act normal?
    its odd of all the ppl I work with or are friends with, this is the common consensus! All say they no longer listen to it?
    never minded colm on his mod afternoon show he was solid actually but jst not suitable to drivetime...So my question is, who does listen an like this?? :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Must admit I actually done mind Breakfast Republic:o but drive time is beyond terrible these days. Mind you I did not listen to Will Leahy either.
    Im beginning to just turn off the radio altogher in the car these days and listen to podcast / cd / even audiobooks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Its about time he got the boot, give him the breakfast show on weekends where nobody can hear him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Praise the lord! I do like Eoghan McDermott. Anything can be better than what is there at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement