Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying an Iphone help

• 24-02-2014 6:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭

Member of family got caught out buying a 2nd hand iphone (stolen) so now need to get another one but looking to avoid a stolen/broken one.
    Any pointers as to what I need to look out for and where should I go to buy one?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

In future ask for the IMEI number. With this you can run a check on it to see if the phone has been stolen.

Otherwise just buy new from Apple or a genuine retailer or buy from someone you know who you can trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

How or where do I run a check on the IMEI number?
    Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Aodhagan wrote: »
    In future ask for the IMEI number. With this you can run a check on it to see if the phone has been stolen.

Otherwise just buy new from Apple or a genuine retailer or buy from someone you know who you can trust.

In fairness you can't always tell no matter what check is done. Some networks won't give out the information either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Aodhagan wrote: »

Checking a imei number prior to sale is not really a safe option either, Most devious sellers will wait a few weeks before they report it stolen. Hence a phone that was ok when bought gets blacklisted a few weeks later, and the seller is well gone at that stage...

My advice is to buy only from someone who has excellent feedback and has sold items like that in the past. I personally have sold a good few phones on the likes of adverts and I've bought a few too , and thankfully I haven't been stung on there. I have however been stung on donedeal..

Some people will tell you to ring the operator etc and register the phone in your name, It works sometimes but not always and in the end the original registered owner only has to say that he never sold it and they'll generally take his/her side.

Remember if it seems to good to be true then it probably is... Also I'd be very suspicious of high value handsets that are advertised as "Unwanted Upgrades"
    Some of these devious people buy the phone subsidized on a 2 year contract and dont bother paying the bills, They sell the phone before the first bill is due and then when the operator figures out whats going on they blacklist the phone at which stage some poor person who has just shelled out a few hundred for a new handset ends up with a fancy iPod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

seen on some deal pages iPhone 4 for €299 and iPhone4s for €325

Dont know if refurb or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Carroller wrote: »
    seen on some deal pages iPhone 4 for €299 and iPhone4s for €325

Dont know if refurb or not

€299 for an iphone4 is crazy money, have a look at the sold adverts on adverts/ebay. you'd get an iphone4 for €150-€200 maximum. and a 4S for €180+

examples:
    Sold to dubfish for €185
    http://www.adverts.ie/apple/black-16gb-iphone-4s-sim-free-official-unlock/4819745

Sold offline as couldnt even get €150 for it on adverts
    http://www.adverts.ie/apple/white-iphone-4-16gb-vidafone/4818021

Advertisement