Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice/Rats in Rented House

Options
  • 24-02-2014 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi everyone,
    My tenants, who are 2 1/2 years in the house, are complaining of mice and rats. I saw mouse droppings myself on Friday last. They claimed they rang a rodent co who told them that they are probably coming in thru the vents and that if they get into the attic tank they could all be poisened.
    I find it odd that they rang to get an opinion and then did nothing about it other than complain to me. Because its a terraced house, they could be coming from anywhere.

Is a landlord responsible for paying for this? They have been putting food out the back and I have seen mice coming taking it so in my opinion they have somewhat encouraged them.

This is just the lastest of different complaints, and I always try to deal with them, but mice is a new one!!!

Opinions welcome..Thanks
    agrange

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yes it is the landlord's responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

Its a pity the county council dont realise its their problem in my house

• Registered Users Posts: 21 agrange

Thanks snubbleste. I would have thought it would be a tenants responsibility as they could be coming from anywhere and the house was mouse free when they moved in and for years before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

A mouse can get through a hole the size of a Biro. There is no need for a pest control company. Buy a few traps and you will be grand. Although rats are hard to trap. The only way to tell if it's a mouse problem or a rat problem. Is by putting out mouse traps. If they are constantly empty with no mice you have a ray problem. A proper rest trap is a cage and it's nearly easier to call in a post company

You need to fill on any holes they are coming in other wise they will be constantly back. So seal around windows, floor boards and put vent covers on vents. Don't use poison as if they eat it and die under your floor they will stink for years. Also leave out soap as if the soap is gone they are still around as they love to eat bars of soap. It does something for their fur

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

If you have mice you don't have rats and vice versa. Rat droppings are much larger than mice and you certainly would notice the difference along with the lines of urine you get with rats and grease stains where they move.

You can argue who's fault it is but ultimately it doesn't matter the LL has to deal with it. You can tell them to change their lifestyle choices such as putting food out the back. It is food waste or do they just throw food out the back?

• Advertisement

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    If you have mice you don't have rats and vice versa. Rat droppings are much larger than mice and you certainly would notice the difference along with the lines of urine you get with rats and grease stains where they move.

You can argue who's fault it is but ultimately it doesn't matter the LL has to deal with it. You can tell them to change their lifestyle choices such as putting food out the back. It is food waste or do they just throw food out the back?

Ray Palmer: Correct me if i'm wrong but you are a LL yes???

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dubbie82

Having the same problem as a tenant. Cracks in the outside walls and the mice found a way into my flat through holes cut behind the kitchen untils for pipes and wires. I was gone on holidays and when I came back I discovered the mice ate their way through the contents of my kitchen press. My place was clean and tidy, no open foods etc.
    Forget about sonar devices and peppermint oil and whatnot, the mice may stay away for a few days but they get used to it. You have to set traps, get rid of all open food items, any food has to be stored in containers etc.
    Can't get rid of them here because Landlord does not want to seal the gaps in the outer walls and I have no access to do it myself.

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    Ray Palmer: Correct me if i'm wrong but you are a LL yes???
    Yes

Yes

The reason i asked is you accept LL's are liable for rats/mice,but what if the LL is the county council who refuse to sort the issue,surely they aren't exempt from that rule???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

The reason i asked is you accept LL's are liable for rats/mice,but what if the LL is the county council who refuse to sort the issue,surely they aren't exempt from that rule???

County Councils have different responsibilities and obligations than private landlords. You need to review the tenant handbook that you should have received prior to renting from the council - a quick google shows that various county councils around the country have the issue of vermin control as a tenant responsibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Council rentals are governed completely differently to private rentals (whether state-supported or not).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Must be bloody big rats - not to mention their droppings!

Sorry Ray, just had to mention it.

MYOB wrote: »
    Council rentals are governed completely differently to private rentals (whether state-supported or not).

The usual story so,the private landlord gets hammered and the councils do as the please,nothing new there i guess,corruption to say the least.

The usual story so,the private landlord gets hammered and the councils do as the please,nothing new there i guess,corruption to say the least.

No.
    Different guidelines for two different types of businesses does not equate to 'corruption', especially seeing as the tenants are aware of their obligations upfront in both situations by either legislation (RTA) or agreements with the council (Tenancy Handbooks).

If you're here to just spout unfounded allegations of corruption please don't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,861 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Two completely different types of tenancy having two completely different regulations is "corruption" how, exactly?

No.
    Different guidelines for two different types of businesses does not equate to 'corruption', especially seeing as the tenants are aware of their obligations upfront in both situations by either legislation (RTA) or agreements with the council (Tenancy Handbooks).

If you're here to just spout unfounded allegations of corruption please don't post.

It aint stated in the tenancy handbook,just looked it up

It aint stated in the tenancy handbook,just looked it up

Which County Council is it? It seems to be common practice that the council tenants take on the responsibility, I can't see one Council deviating from a standard practice.
    It could also be included in the lease agreements that you've signed or any other pamphlets that the Council provide for in their social housing depts.

Which County Council is it? It seems to be common practice that the council tenants take on the responsibility, I can't see one Council deviating from a standard practice.
    It could also be included in the lease agreements that you've signed or any other pamphlets that the Council provide for in their social housing depts.

Its Cork C.C,i'll have to make a few enquiries to see what the "official" line is

Its Cork C.C,i'll have to make a few enquiries to see what the "official" line is

Well Cork City, Skibbereen and Mallow all say that vermin control is the responsibility of the tenant.

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/housingcommunity/tenantshandbook/filedownload,2647,en.htm

Cork is a big place so I've no idea what area you are in, but it's highly unlikely that you're going to get another answer if there is a precedent already set. The only thing they ask is that you contact a reputable vermin control company to deal with the issues.

Well Cork City, Skibbereen and Mallow all say that vermin control is the responsibility of the tenant.

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/housingcommunity/tenantshandbook/filedownload,2647,en.htm

Cork is a big place so I've no idea what area you are in, but it's highly unlikely that you're going to get another answer if there is a precedent already set. The only thing they ask is that you contact a reputable vermin control company to deal with the issues.
    I have heard of cases where the councils directly intervene in situations where there are rodents,big and small,and they are of people in social housing,but a Cllr told me if its external i.e outside the property the H.S.E have to sort it

• Advertisement

I have heard of cases where the councils directly intervene in situations where there are rodents,big and small,and they are of people in social housing,but a Cllr told me if its external i.e outside the property the H.S.E have to sort it
    I don't think it is the HSE it is the environmental control people AFAIK. They will deal with issues of pests in areas. That does not mean your house as such but it might include your house if you have a problem due to the local area. It is often a problem when development is going on locally.

there's illegal dumping going on where I am for quite some time but only now are vermin appearing,most likely the primary cause of their appearance

Advertisement