Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Back The Sand

Options
  • 24-02-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭

I have said this before and I will now say it again...................get a fleet of diggers and reclaim the sand so you can have a sandy beach up against the prom wall, plenty of waves for surfers on the far end of the beach.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

That could be a complete waste of time and resources. The ocean does what it wants to do and we can do nothing about it.

Once the winter storms calm down the sand will return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

I've been watching the sand on the beach come and go over the years and a storm can throw up more of it or take it away just as quick. A lot of calm weather during the summer tends to slowly deposit more and more sand for it to get taken away by a storm in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

If Tramore values family tourism business they would make sure to have plenty of sand on part of the beach in the month of June over to nature until next year after that.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

Xenophile wrote: »
    If Tramore values family tourism business they would make sure to have plenty of sand on part of the beach in the month of June over to nature until next year after that.

Seriously, what are you on about? To artificiality move the hundreds of tonnes of sand required would be lunacy, environmental vandalism, prohibitively expensive and ultimately pointless.
    The sand comes and go with the tide and in the 38 years I've lived in Tramore i have no memory of there being a shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Am I getting this right? You're suggesting moving sand from the far end of the beach to the prom end? Moving it away from in front the already fragile sand dunes? And for what? To supposedly attract visitors? Just doesn't make any logic.:confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Mugser wrote: »
    Am I getting this right? You're suggesting moving sand from the far end of the beach to the prom end? Moving it away from in front the already fragile sand dunes? And for what? To supposedly attract visitors? Just doesn't make any logic.:confused::confused:

No, not at all. When the tide is far out and it does go very far out in Tramore, go out dig it up with diggers and bring it straight back. I have seen this done many times in Spain.

invalid wrote: »
    Seriously, what are you on about? To artificiality move the hundreds of tonnes of sand required would be lunacy, environmental vandalism, prohibitively expensive and ultimately pointless.
    The sand comes and go with the tide and in the 38 years I've lived in Tramore i have no memory of there being a shortage.

I gave up going to Tramore when it became a stony beach under the prom wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

No, not at all. When the tide is far out and it does go very far out in Tramore, go out dig it up with diggers and bring it straight back. I have seen this done many times in Spain.

Really? And you thinks its a good idea. Tramore Beach is fine the way it is (abet with less litter). But i would caution you this, you should find out exactly what was happening the many times you saw this in spain, because sand replacement spectacularly never works. Ask any engineer who works in coastal protection.

End of rant,goodbye

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gary_walsh17

You obviously have no concept of how tides work nor the difference in coastal ecosystems. The water is at high tide every 12 hours, of which in Tramore it is away from the Prom wall for only a few hours. Nowhere near enough time to move sand, in the volumes you'd require and you'd also need to close the beach for people's safety.

The beaches you are thinking of in Spain are often Man-made style beaches where a low and high tide in the area only differs by a metre or two. These beaches are not affected by sand depletion normally, the beach is ploughed to smoothen it and the sea edge, which barely moves between tides, is dredged in early morning to give a definitive shoreline.

Nothing like this could be done on a beach like Tramore, it would be simply impossible at any time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Adam Eterno

As a regular visitor to Tramore over the past 40 plus years I can most definitely say that the depth of sand beneath the prom wall has decreased by at least 6 feet if not more during this time. This is evident even during the height of the summer with calmer tidal conditions and winds. In the past people could sit or lie at the base of the wall with comfort.
    Can anyone suggest a reason for this change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gary_walsh17

As a regular visitor to Tramore over the past 40 plus years I can most definitely say that the depth of sand beneath the prom wall has decreased by at least 6 feet if not more during this time. This is evident even during the height of the summer with calmer tidal conditions and winds. In the past people could sit or lie at the base of the wall with comfort.

Possible sand drift over time could be the result, the water in the bay does sweep towards the east and the Sand Dunes/ Estuary

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

i know beaches in spain get sand broought in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_Islands

It would be nice is the Council could do something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

CopyofDSC01248_zpsa296591b.jpg

CopyofDSC01233_zps6d6c230b.jpg

CopyofDSC01234_zpsae82dbee.jpg

Well as you can see at the moment , they are digging up the sand , and replacing it with concrete .

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

^^^^ Is this happening all along the prom? ^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

.Allthedoyles Well as you can see at the moment , they are digging up the sand , and replacing it with concrete .[/quote]

You are hardly implying a Joni Mitchell scenario here. That is the sum total of the steps/ performance area they are doing , don't go all Tramore on us now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Couldn't they build a kind of lido?

The kind that fills up at every high tide and leaves water there about two feet deep. Kids love that kind of thing.

tramoreman wrote: »
    i know beaches in Spain get sand brought in

Same in Canary Islands..........one beach in particular in Gran Canaria.........very close to Puerto Rico.........it's called Patalavaca, same beach is also great for surfing.

Well done for speaking your truth.........What Waterford needs is a few more "Yes We Can People", with the amalgamation this year of city and county maybe this will happen.

Advertisement