Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fergal's next boat

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hifive wrote: »
    http://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/cruiser-for-sale/6266965

Perfect one for you fergal.
    Just get the conc saw to the transom and bobs your uncle!
    (Not mine btw)
    26096080.jpg

I did look at that one :D also this one is a lot of boat for the money http://www.donedeal.ie/boats-for-sale/aquafiber-37-river-cruiser-price-drop/5501382

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

would you not think your next boat should be a real boat? you know the ones with masts, sails, a few cabins and can go further then the end of a lake :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭davlacey

would a gangway not be the solution, with a door on the transom. it doesnt really matter about the height of the deck then.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

To be honest I think I will knocking this one on the head now :( My wife's MS has gotten quite bad over the past year and I can only manage one wheelchair at a time in the car and when we go out also the mooring cost along with everything else just would not be feasible for the amount of time we would get to use the boat.
    Not to worry I'm sure I'll find some sort if interesting project to keep me going :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

Really sorry to hear that Fergal.
    I'm amazed that you get the time to indulge in any leisure activities, let alone produce those gorgeous boats and of course, help out all us lost sheep on here and on cpb.
    Mark.

• Advertisement

I may have jumped the gun a bit in my last post :) I spotted this old girl and thought she has the makings of a very nice boat even my wife likes it and wants me to take it on "very strange":) The boat is a 1960's HAGG 36 with twin perkins T6 354 on shafts, she has large opening doors in the transom that I think will allow for easy loading of the wheelchair. The inside would have to be gutted and rebuilt but it has a lot of potential.
    As always I'm open to any thoughts or ideas you might have some of you might even know the boat as she has M.Y.C on the back.

1460990_10200685980350258_1245336546_n.jpg

1939577_10200685983310332_282779747_n.jpg

1463232_10200685985590389_1417995182_n.jpg

578586_10200685987350433_1084010032_n.jpg

1794767_10200685990030500_1692813829_n.jpg

10003254_10200685996870671_2133112206_n.jpg

What she could look like.:D

1911808_10200685974950123_94281323_n.jpg

66565c5a-a7e2-4920-913c-21d2d441f4b8110_zpsf5da06d0.jpeg

could be malahide yacht club. id go for it looks like it needs freshen up inside but the hull looks like it just needs a buff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

I would think that, if you had a berth, and with your skills, you could re-seat the windows, sort the engines, clean it up, a bit of paint and varnish and get yourself on the water without costing too much. BUT, if you decide to gut and re-build the inside to your high standard, you are talking about a lot of time and money :(.
    She's a lovely looking boat - I would love to see you do it :D
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Sure the woodwork on the inside doesnt look half bad. A bit or sandpaper here and there and a lick of paint or varnish would do it no harm but it would be a shame to throw out the good drawers and what have you. They made some good stuff in the 60s

I need the room to make easy access from the wheelchairs to the beds so the galley may go and be replaced with a microwave and a deck BBQ :)

I'd be more or less be going from this

3718665_20110923085743_2_LARGE_zps38b847d3.jpg

To this :eek:

Hagg36_zps2906d7fc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Well you're not short of ambition, I'll give you that :D

She looks like a (potential) beauty.... but where you get the energy from I don't know :eek:

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Well you're not short of ambition, I'll give you that :D

She looks like a (potential) beauty.... but where you get the energy from I don't know :eek:

I think it's called "Obsessive compulsive disorder":D

Jasus Fergal, your going to need a bigger shed:D

Looks fantastic, go for it.

Hifive wrote: »
    Jasus Fergal, your going to need a bigger shed:D

Looks fantastic, go for it.

One of the pluses on this boat is he will let me use the shed till it's done :)
    I just have to see if I can beat him down to my level and thats a lot of beating :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I was on a Hagg a bit more that 10 years ago. It was on The Shannon - Lough Ree, I think. Are there many of these boats in Ireland?
    I think this one had been involved in some round Ireland power boat race.

Possibly the same boat?

She was on the Shannon years ago, I haven't seen another one like her here but there might be one with a flybridge there is also is one up north that may have traveled down on a trip.
    The designer Arthur Hagg was involved in powerboat racing and also designed this one "Spirit of ecstacy" http://www.classicoffshore.com/history_lost.php

Spirit%20Of%20Ectasy.jpg

fergal.b wrote: »
    One of the pluses on this boat is he will let me use the shed till it's done :)
    I just have to see if I can beat him down to my level and thats a lot of beating :D

is the yard near you? could you not put in the harbour in balbriggan and work away on it down there. i have to drive half an hour to work on mine becomes a pain after a while.

davlacey wrote: »
    is the yard near you? could you not put in the harbour in balbriggan and work away on it down there. i have to drive half an hour to work on mine becomes a pain after a while.

It's in Donabate 10 mins away :D if it's in the shed I can work in all weather day and night and as I only have certain work windows this is a big advantage. I would also need to take the prop shafts off and replace the P bracket bearings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

The authorities of Gibraltar don't sound like they're much craic. Shame on them for destroying perfectly good boats. Such a waste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

It's a classy looking boat. Oh go on... You know you want to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

I doubt there's a single user of this forum who isn't slightly giddy with excitement at the idea of you going for this one. There's a lot of potential with her, that's for sure! If you do go with it, you'll definitely have all the usual support on here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

It's in Donabate 10 mins away :D if it's in the shed I can work in all weather day and night and as I only have certain work windows this is a big advantage. I would also need to take the prop shafts off and replace the P bracket bearings.

I was kind of thinking it wouldn't fit in the back yard under your roof :)

A task like this has your name all over it, I think you should have a good think about it. It does look like it may have the space\access you are looking for.
    Also with 'Old's Cool' just about finished we need another project on here..

Would you swap this.

2013-09-20180413_zpsfd181f2d.jpg

For this.

In a heartbeat.
    Don't get me wrong, olds cool is a beautiful boat but the Hagg is an original classic with history.
    It could be one of the nicest cruisers on irish waters, but as I'm sure your aware, ongoing maintenance will be very time consuming.
    I presume she is a grp hull?
    I may have a picture of the Hagg from lock Ree, as I spent every summer there on the barge "The Owl" in the ninetys.
    Mark.

I was talking to a guy in the UK that did his apprenticeship on them in "Dorset Yacht Company" there were 35 of them made between 1962-70. It's amazing how a boat can bring out a little historic story that might have otherwise been forgotten but for a few it means a lot to keep it alive.

Would you swap this.

2013-09-20180413_zpsfd181f2d.jpg

For this.

I've had a spin in the first :D - Looking forward to the launch of Sea Hunter :)
    Jim.

http://the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/fileattachments/i/in_her_prime.JPG

Looking at that photo - You'll have to do it:D .
    Jim.

JamesM wrote: »
    http://the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/fileattachments/i/in_her_prime.JPG

Looking at that photo - You'll have to do it:D .
    Jim.

The guy that was restoring that one didn't get to finish her and sold her on as he ran out of funds :( I have no funds to start with so I should be ok :D

There are some nice inside photos of a flybridge one here http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1972/Hagg-36-Flybridge-2398702/Lymington/United-Kingdom#.Uyw9lOd_tzc nice price too :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 boldspirit

No better buachaill for the job!

all the best if you take her on Fergal!

• Advertisement

I think that the flybridge makes her look too modern :rolleyes:
    You'll get lots of ideas from those photos - download them before it gets sold and they're taken down.
    Jim.

I think that the flybridge makes her look too modern :rolleyes:
    You'll get lots of ideas from those photos - download them before it gets sold and they're taken down.
    Jim.

They are in my project folder :D

Well I made my offer and someone else made a higher one :( so that's the end of that but at least I will have a bit more time to play with the Crackerbox so not all that bad :)

Well I made my offer and someone else made a higher one :( so that's the end of that but at least I will have a bit more time to play with the Crackerbox so not all that bad :)

:(:(:(

:(:(:(

This.

Sorry to hear that Fergal, but I have every faith in you finding an equal, if not better, challenge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

Hard luck Fergal, hopefully something similiar will come up soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I was afraid something like that would happen ......... I’d guess that she was not for you Fergal; new owner might even find that the engines could require a complete rebuild having been laid up for so long. She was not for you, there is something better out there.
    The authorities of Gibraltar don't sound like they're much craic. Shame on them for destroying perfectly good boats. Such a waste

Gib was notorious for smuggling. Arriving there in any fast boat inevitably aroused suspicion and a search by Customs. It was common for delivery skippers bringing any boat from elsewhere to ask new crew to turn out their kitbags before coming onboard to avoid 'problems' later on. There was no point in selling captured boats, they inevitably went back into the game, hence the destruction orders. Shepperds marina used to be full of them before the authorities broke them up; they kept company with other semi-derelict boats, those belonging to the dreamers who had an idea of sailing around the world and then either ran out of energy or money (or both) after getting that far!

If the engines had of been running I would have put up a bit more of a fight but when someone says it won't take much to get them going you start to wonder why they didn't get them running before they put it up for sale then.
    I got the feeling there may not even be another bidder as he said he brought a surveyor with him but none of the floor hatches had been opened since I was last there ;) You can't blame for trying to make a quick sale but I was only going to pay what I felt comfortable with throwing into another hole in the water :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 boldspirit

Wasn't meant to be Fergal, onwards and upwards

I think I have found it :D

1609802_841770155849449_920551735800321629_n.jpg

Which one??? :D

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Which one??? :D

Boat :D

Boats are like rabbits, you can have one boat or many but you can never stop at two. - Aristotle Onassis

I'm assuming the big one comes with its own crane to lift the little one off..... that's turning into a lorra lorra garage space required :eek:

Cute little thing all the same (the one on the foredeck, obv - big FO motorboats don't do it for me!)

That's nice. You going to build again ?

I might just have one :D I was thinking of building one of these SUP boards just to pass a bit of time till I decide on the next project. http://www.boatdesigns.com/Stand-Up-Paddleboards/products/947/

SonyCameraCorrib2010002_crop.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I was thinking of building one of these SUP boards just to pass a bit of time till I decide on the next project. http://www.boatdesigns.com/Stand-Up-Paddleboards/products/947/

Be interested if you do and decide to sell :p

Advertisement