Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argument with landlord, HELP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sowajaoxf

goat2 wrote: »
    you would be better off paying her asking price,
    if solicitors come into it, you will have a far bigger bill,

i was in a road traffic accident, the other was in the wrong, they wanted to take my car to a garage i was not familar with,
    i told them it was going back to where i bought it to be fixed, it was two yrs old, i felt insulted that they should name the place it should be repaired, it angered me there and then,
    i sent it to the main dealer and it was fixed to my satisfaction, their insurance paid up at time,

the moral to this story is,
    you will only anger her more by trying to get people she do not want fixing her window,
    she is entitlet to have whomever fix her window, not be told who should do so, irrespective of money

Thanks for your comment.

Difference here is that when insurance comes to play it is little bit different because it was coming off their insurance not their pocket - only cost for them was lost of no bonus claim which is set without conjunction with price that insurance company will pay, and they have no argument with insurance company.

At least you told them that you are not happy prior to repair...

When it comes to "private" matter like this one I felt that there was no communication done before this matter was proceeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

but the problem is,
    it is her property,
    and i guess she trust these people due to knowing them or something,

it did not matter whether the others insurance or their pocket covered it to me,
    it was my car,
    and it was my choice where my property went and who fixed it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

but the problem is,
    it is her property,
    and i guess she trust these people due to knowing them or something,

it did not matter whether the others insurance or their pocket covered it to me,
    it was my car,
    and it was my choice where my property went and who fixed it,

Car accidents much easier to prove involved parties. This landlord would struggle to prove in court that the OP was responsible. OP is being decent.

op broke window,
    he did as any decent person would do and fess up,
    in my case it was an accident, in his it was same,
    it is her property that was damaged, it was his ball that broke it, same as in my case just a bumper hit me.

i think she is in the right to get who ever she likes at whatever it costs,

now that if solicitor is brought in it will cost way more,
    i would rather cut my losses and give what she is asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

now that if solicitor is brought in it will cost way more,
    i would rather cut my losses and give what she is asking.

Only if solicitor can prove OP did it. Easier said than done, and at a much more significant expense than the cost of repairing the window (which can be written off against the landlord's tax liabilities...if they are tax compliant that is).

• Advertisement

if you look at his first post,
    he said that he informed tenants that he broke window, and tenants let landlord know,

so your saying, only if a solicitor can prove it, he does not have to do so, this person was honest and let be known that his ball broke it,

does not matter to op whether how the owner of house runs business

• Registered Users Posts: 23,534 ✭✭✭✭ted1

OP what u value are the three windows ?
    Did you measure yourself ? I've seen done people measure wrong if you order it you could be left with glass that doesn't fit

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Plain glass, or tinted/painted glass?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

sowajaoxf wrote: »
    Difference here is that when insurance comes to play it is little bit different because it was coming off their insurance not their pocket - only cost for them was lost of no bonus claim which is set without conjunction with price that insurance company will pay, and they have no argument with insurance company.

It all depends. I have a 200 Euro excess on my policy- if I have to replace a window that costs 200, its coming straight out of my pocket- regardless of whether its an insurable claim or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

the_syco wrote: »
    Plain glass, or tinted/painted glass?

If it is the frosted glass- that could explain the difference- depending on the window size, that could well be 30-40 quid. Another thing- most companies quote ex VAT (on the basis lots of people can claim the VAT back). Perhaps one or more of the quotes was on this basis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 sowajaoxf

ted1 wrote: »
    OP what u value are the three windows ?
    Did you measure yourself ? I've seen done people measure wrong if you order it you could be left with glass that doesn't fit

I got receipt from Landlord and on the receipt there was exact measurements 814mm x 576mm double glazed at 195EUR, when I quoted this measurements to 2 other companies price was 125 and 150 including fitting and delivery...

Point here is that 195 it was first amount where later she claimed that it was 250 EUR because somebody had to come up in that "windy weather" and it was dangerous... Window is on the ground floor with hand reach

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

It's not different at all, whether an insurance company is involved or not in a motor accident the injured party gets to choose where they get their car fixed, if the person responsible refuses then the injured party goes through their insurance and still gets the car fixed where they want.

In your case the landlord chose to get the window replaced in a company she wanted, just pay the bills or it'll end up costing you more in solicitors fees

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hi,

I need advice on following matter:

I was playing football with my son outs our town houses and unfortunately I broke neighbour window by kicking a ball.

I have notified tenants where they notified landlord. Verbally I have offered repair of the window however neighbour landlord decided to fix it herself. After 1 week I have received bill of 195 EUR !! I gather 2 other quotations with call out etc. and I have received following quotation 125 EUR and 150 EUR. I informed landlord of the house next to me about this and I notified her that Until the response, I will not proceed with payment and suggest her to get back to glass company to revise bill

She got back to me that her solicitor will be in contact with me.

What kind of position is she / I am with matter above?

I have intention of paying of course but I expect fair price.

Please advice

In the last house we rented a neighbour broke the window on our back door on a Saturday night. I rang only one company (the nearest one) on the Monday morning and got them to fix it. It was €150 and handed the neighbours the bill which they paid no problem (in fact the boy and his mum called over to apologise with chocolates.) If they had started annoying me telling me they wanted different quotes I would take extreme offence to that. I do not have time to try and find different glass repairman. Also to get a quote they have to come to your house to view it , I had to leave work in the middle of the day to get a quote. It was €150 because supposedly it is a special type of glass that when it breaks it breaks safely. It is also not very nice to have a broken window even for 1 night and the fact that you have a big plastic bag over it (I was afraid of robbers). I really feel you are being unreasonable and think you should just pay the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

€150+vat =€190~

If you damage another person's property as OP did (not in dispute) the owner is entitled to make good the damage done irrespective of the opinion of the person responsible. In this case, if the windows are Munster Joinery windows for instance, then the owner is entitled to have it repaired by the manufacturer, not by someone cheaper found by the OP. OP is not a glazier, owners probably just rang the supplier, explained what window it was, they would have it on record and replaced it immediately.

The tenants next door were probably not happy either as it left their house unsecured while they were out. No doubt they were on to LL wanting it fixed asap.

Besides all this, If OP doesn't pay, next doors LL can tell their tenant that it will be deducted from their deposit as the damage was done during their tenancy, and leave the neighbour to deal with OP. I know which one I'd prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Problem is not 195EUR - she send me invoice for 195 EUR claiming in text message that I have to pay 250EUR because was windy and dangerous for somebody to come up... but repair company did not put this on the invoice,

This is the part that I would be questioning. It seems fairly unlikely to me that the company would leave a charge off the invoice, and from your point of view you would only be expected to pay what is written on the invoice. The cynical side of me is thinking that she is trying to make a few quid for herself at your expense with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

davo10 makes a good point. You would be surprised at the amount of providers that quote ex-VAT.

Am purely disgusted at the people suggesting that the LL would have to "prove" that the OP did the damage before looking for payment. There is no question that the OP did not do it. Are there really so many dishonest people about? Frankly that kind of attitude is scummy.

I got receipt from Landlord and on the receipt there was exact measurements 814mm x 576mm double glazed at 195EUR, when I quoted this measurements to 2 other companies price was 125 and 150 including fitting and delivery...

Point here is that 195 it was first amount where later she claimed that it was 250 EUR because somebody had to come up in that "windy weather" and it was dangerous... Window is on the ground floor with hand reach

But you still need to know the u value. She could be getting an a rated window you could be getting a e rated

davo10 makes a good point. You would be surprised at the amount of providers that quote ex-VAT.

Am purely disgusted at the people suggesting that the LL would have to "prove" that the OP did the damage before looking for payment. There is no question that the OP did not do it. Are there really so many dishonest people about? Frankly that kind of attitude is scummy.
    The VAT inclusive order of 79 make it illegal to give prices without VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

Pay the 195 thats whats on paper.

Don't pay a cent more... if she wants the amount to be 250, tell her you need it in writing and dont worry about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    The owner of the property is entitled to employ whoever she wishes to repair her property.
    But the company she used didn't overcharge. They charged what their rates were for the work. You may have found companies that had lower rates but the landlord didn't use them. So you should pay the €195 because that is what it cost to repair the window you broke.
    i think she is in the right to get who ever she likes at whatever it costs,

I don't agree with the above.

If she got Mick, her brother-in-law glazier to fix it and he charged her €500 would OP still have to suck it up and pay? I don't think so.

OP, you should send her €150 together with the two quotes you got, with a note saying that in your opinion that is a reasonable amount to repair the damage.

She would now be in the position of engaging a solicitor to recover €45 and I doubt if any solicitor would entertain her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Hold your ground OP. She will not get a solicitor involved. Can't believe the 250 for 'danger money' to fix a ground floor window story.

Wait and see what happens, just hold out for a few weeks and don't contact her in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Valetta wrote: »
    I don't agree with the above.

If she got Mick, her brother-in-law glazier to fix it and he charged her €500 would OP still have to suck it up and pay? I don't think so.

You are comparing apples and oranges here. The invoice for €195 which the landlord had is not too much in excess of the estimates the OP has. And they are just estimates the OP has because the companies he rang didn't come out and check the work that needed to be done. They gave an esitmate based on measurements they OP gave over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,491 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Good for you being honest about it OP, but I think you should pay up.

Phone quotes are not really worth anything till the job has been looked at - they will give you a 'minimum cost' quote just to get on site, then you can bet there will be something that will make it a bit more expensive.

She may, quite reasonably, have wanted to replace the window with one from the same supplier to keep the appearance the same.

It must have been a heck of a kick to break a double glazed window with a football! Not really the kind of football game you want outside houses, round cars etc.

I am disgusted by the number of people saying 'she can't prove it' etc. You do damage, you sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Window is on the ground floor with hand reach
    In that case, I don't blame the person for getting it fixed ASAP; otherwise they could get burgled with ease! Hand in the window, open a large window, and some little gurrier could be inside within moments.

By any chance did this happen over the weekend? Most places charge a premium to come out over the weekend, and this could be the reason for the extra cost. And no, waiting for a weekday may not have been an option as why should the person be down a days wage because you broke their window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Yeah OP it's the injured party who decides the repairs. Had someone drive into the car. Their insurance wanted to fix it in their workshop. Said no, there's a 12 year bodywork rust warranty on it that gets invalidated if anyone other than manufacturer's rep works on it. It was done by the manufacturer's rep and insurer didn't dispute it. Actually, they even arranged a free hire car that was delivered to the garage when the car was dropped off for repair. Why? Because it was their client's fault and the injured party shouldn't have to lose out on quality just because of their client's accident!

You got a phone quote for glass. How do you know the frame wasn't damaged? You also haven't mentioned whether or not your quotes were VAT inclusive. You can't guarantee the same quality either just by phoning around.

She got the window that YOU are responsible for breaking repaired to her satisfaction. YOU owe for the cost of that. That's the extent of it. You don't owe her 250, you owe 195. Just pay the 195 on the invoice to her and drop in a box of chocolates to the tenants as an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just pay the 195 on the invoice to her and drop in a box of chocolates to the tenants as an apology.

Do nothing of the sort. You got all this hassle for being honest and trying to do the right thing.

When you have a car accident, most people would say before the work proceeds I've got this quote to repair it - how do you want to proceed. This is were you can agree the course of action - either pay or go through your insurance.

This step was not taken by the LL. If you do pay, do not pay more than is on the receipt (i.e. the danger money).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Just pay the 195 on the invoice to her and drop in a box of chocolates to the tenants as an apology.

Do nothing of the sort. You got all this hassle for being honest and trying to do the right thing.

When you have a car accident, most people would say before the work proceeds I've got this quote to repair it - how do you want to proceed. This is were you can agree the course of action - either pay or go through your insurance.

This step was not taken by the LL. If you do pay, do not pay more than is on the receipt (i.e. the danger money).

Hassle? How about the tenants who had to worry about their house being insecure because his kid smashed their window? And then having to take time off to be there to have it repaired? How's that for hassle? They didn't even do anything and they end up with that hassle?

Being honest and doing the right thing is accepting that she had the window repaired to her satisfaction and that the OP owes for the cost of it (but not more).

Also, I sincerely doubt the validity of the quotes. The OP doesn't know the extent of the damage, the quality of the window or anything like that. All he knows is the size of the glass. I rang a well known window company with my grandmother's window measurements looking to get a quote to get double glazing put in and do you know what the response I got was? "Sorry, I can't even give you a rough estimate. We really have to see the windows to be able to do any kind of estimate".

The OP got estimates of 125 and 150. 195 doesn't seem over the odds considering it may have been a top of the line window to begin with and justifiably the LL would want it replaced with the same.

And yeah, bring round a box of chocs or some other token to the neighbours. They did nothing wrong and got a load of hassle for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

OP you damaged it pay up. The LL doesnt have to go with the cheapest quote you get nor does a phone quote mean much without the company apraising it properly so its questionable as to weather the quote you got on the phone wouldnt increase or not.

pay the money and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Either way the owner is going to get her money, either from the OP or her tenant's deposit. I'm not sure i'd like a pissed off neighbour knocking in my door because they are being charged for a window I broke.

Before any jumps in here to say it has nothing to do with the neighbour, it does, the window was damaged during their occupation of the house.

• Advertisement

personally if i were in the owner of the house in question
    and had a person dilly dallying over a bill,
    i would be very annoyed,
    it is something a cannot do.
    the ball is in her court,

Advertisement