Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argument with landlord, HELP

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

The title is misleading, suggests person is having an argument with their landlord.
    It doesnt even seem like there was an argument, from what was said, more a disagreement, or even just a difference of opinion.

They are in dispute over the repair cost, with another person that they damaged the property of.
    While there is some relevance that there is a landlord/tenant situation involved, its still not much different than if he kicked a ball and broke the window of a neighbour that owned the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

sowajaoxf wrote: »
    Hi,

I need advice on following matter:

I was playing football with my son outs our town houses and unfortunately I broke neighbour window by kicking a ball.

I have notified tenants where they notified landlord. Verbally I have offered repair of the window however neighbour landlord decided to fix it herself. After 1 week I have received bill of 195 EUR !! I gather 2 other quotations with call out etc. and I have received following quotation 125 EUR and 150 EUR. I informed landlord of the house next to me about this and I notified her that Until the response, I will not proceed with payment and suggest her to get back to glass company to revise bill

She got back to me that her solicitor will be in contact with me.

What kind of position is she / I am with matter above?

I have intention of paying of course but I expect fair price.

Please advice

Id say see an invoice of the payment and see if somehow she has spent too much on unnecessary addition or more expensive window pane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I very obviously do not know the window is an upgrade. I had, in pretty simple terms that you seem to struggle with.

You are right, like most readers I suspect, I am struggling to understand this.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Id say see an invoice of the payment and see if somehow she has spent too much on unnecessary addition or more expensive window pane

Yes, like gold inlaid trim, swarovski pane, cmon, the difference between one pane and the next? I think a better U value pane than is standard today is going to cost more than that, as someone mentioned, was it a weekend or late callout? extra, same pane.
    For anyone getting this done, the only pane is the pain getting it done, waste of time. Ok shhit happens, but when someone follows this with being difficult, after they did the damage and admit they waited a week before coming up with a cheaper quote.
    Just pay the person, would you want to be dicked around like that? doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

cerastes wrote: »
    Yes, like gold inlaid trim, swarovski pane, cmon, the difference between one pane and the next? I think a better U value pane than is standard today is going to cost more than that, as someone mentioned, was it a weekend or late callout? extra, same pane.
    For anyone getting this done, the only pane is the pain getting it done, waste of time. Ok shhit happens, but when someone follows this with being difficult, after they did the damage and admit they waited a week before coming up with a cheaper quote.
    Just pay the person, would you want to be dicked around like that? doubt it.

Apparently the difference between one pane and the next could be 120 compared to 195. OP is right to question it given the LL tried to shaft him out of 55 euro because it was windy. I don't know why people have such an issue with ensuring a quote is accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

. I don't know why people have such an issue with ensuring a quote is accurate.

Which quote? The one the owner had to pay or the one the OP would prefer she paid.

The House owner is the one who has to go to the trouble of having the window fixed . I'm still struggling to understand how you have dragged this thread out with a suggestion (without merit) that the owner upgraded a window.

I'm really struggling to understand why LL would pay extra to upgrade one window without any degree of certainty that OP will pay for it. Surely the default would be fix it right and fix it quick, not pay more for a better U value that makes absolutely no discernible difference to a rental property.

By paying more unnecessarily for a better window, LL would be more out of pocket if OP doesn't pay. As we all know, LLs just love spending needlessly on rental properties.

Apparently the difference between one pane and the next could be 120 compared to 195. OP is right to question it given the LL tried to shaft him out of 55 euro because it was windy. I don't know why people have such an issue with ensuring a quote is accurate.

Should have made good contact with the person then, agreed both get some quotes and compare, but its the other person that has had their property damaged. They are going to want it restored to at least as it was or the same standard today.
    Maybe the OP didnt have VAT included as is common to be quoted or didnt take into account whether it was late or a weekend when it was done, or that the final price compared to over the phone can be different, Id be pissed off at my time being wasted, and given the run around.
    If they wanted their qoute considered, they should have done it in a reasonable time, a week is not reasonable. Whats the tenant to do then? just have no problem letting their landlord wait for someone to come back to them with a price, if they didnt hear from them on the spot, then they need to fix it, thats the end of it, it isnt something that can wait.

Is small claims something this falls under? or is that for consumers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Btw, the person ringing about the quote can influence it. My brother rang to get a quote for glass before christmas and got quoted a reasonable price. I went to collect it and was charged a lot less. Likewise my mum's been quoted silly money for some stuff and when my dad goes in he gets it for significantly less. Prices for the same job aren't necessarily set in stone, basically. She got charged 195 for the window. That's what she had to pay and it's the amount for which the OP should reimburse her.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

davo10 wrote: »
    Which quote? The one the owner had to pay or the one the OP would prefer she paid.
    Quote LL provided.
    The House owner is the one who has to go to the trouble of having the window fixed . I'm still struggling to understand how you have dragged this thread out with a suggestion (without merit) that the owner upgraded a window.
    LL is behaving in a manner that suggests they are not playing straight and the differnece in quotes is large.
    I'm really struggling to understand why LL would pay extra to upgrade one window without any degree of certainty that OP will pay for it. Surely the default would be fix it right and fix it quick, not pay more for a better U value that makes absolutely no discernible difference to a rental property.

By paying more unnecessarily for a better window, LL would be more out of pocket if OP doesn't pay. As we all know, LLs just love spending needlessly on rental properties.

People do stupid things quite often. Getting confirmation that the quote is accurate is not a big deal.
    cerastes wrote: »
    Should have made good contact with the person then, agreed both get some quotes and compare, but its the other person that has had their property damaged. They are going to want it restored to at least as it was or the same standard today.
    Maybe the OP didnt have VAT included as is common to be quoted or didnt take into account whether it was late or a weekend when it was done, or that the final price compared to over the phone can be different, Id be pissed off at my time being wasted, and given the run around.
    If they wanted their qoute considered, they should have done it in a reasonable time, a week is not reasonable. Whats the tenant to do then? just have no problem letting their landlord wait for someone to come back to them with a price, if they didnt hear from them on the spot, then they need to fix it, thats the end of it, it isnt something that can wait.

Is small claims something this falls under? or is that for consumers?

All the points you mention may be valid (except VAT, quotes must be provided VAT inclusive), the OP should verify they are valid before paying out given the price difference. The OP got quotes after the fact to compare what the LL provided, this is not unusual and is only prudent.

Advertisement