Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthday cake ideas

Options
  • 24-02-2014 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Hi, did any of you cook your kids birthday cakes? I want to cook my sons first birthday cake and am looking for ideas on something visually pretty yet a little bit foolproof!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

yellow hen wrote: »
    Hi, did any of you cook your kids birthday cakes? I want to cook my sons first birthday cake and am looking for ideas on something visually pretty yet a little bit foolproof!!!

I love making my kids birthday cakes. Google images for 1st birthday cake and you will find hundreds of ideas. Some fool proof ideas are a one covered in smarties or buttons, a green cake with plastic farm fences and animals on top, a 'gingerbread' house decorated with lots of sweets, a train each carriage filled with different sweets.
    Decobake, kitchen compliments and homestore and more have lots of cute icing figures/ cake toppers. Supermarkets have lots of lovely icing decorations like sugar pearls popping candy etc..
    Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I swear by this recipe here. Serious idiot proof.
    I made it for both my kids' first, and filled the top with raspberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3028705/rainbow-cake

i made this for my fellas second birthday, big hit with everyone, he ate the plate!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

I second Mrs Fox's recipe - though I havn't made it for kids, I made it for my hubbys last two birthdays - it is a gorgeous choccie cake - really moist and fudgy - would be perfect for kiddies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

aknitter wrote: »
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3028705/rainbow-cake

i made this for my fellas second birthday, big hit with everyone, he ate the plate!! :)

Oh this is what I was thinking of making. Did you use this recipe? The comments underneath weren't great. Also dud you buy food dye gels rather than liquids?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

I made a version of it - I had to make it gluten free. I made a cream cheese icing and I used a sponge cake recipe. Everyone was looking at it - iced it looked so plain and thats not what I'd do but then I cut it and they were like omg!!!

i just used normal good colouring from the supermarket. I'll post up a link when I can find it

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Moocow100

heres a Jpeg of the cake I got for my wife after she turned 33 a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Harriet the Hedgehog has been a firm favourite in our family since we were all kids. I made it for A's 1st and 2nd birthday. She loved it! :)
    I usually add the gated zest and juice of an orange to it it make it a chocolate orange cake.

"Harriet Hedgehog"~

THE CAKE~
    - Margarine, 175g/6oz
    - Caster sugar, 175g/6oz
    - Eggs, x3
    - Self-raising flour, 150g/5oz
    - Baking powder, 5ml/1tsp
    - Bournville cocoa (or any other cocoa), 25g/1oz

You will also need an oven-proof basin, greased, that can hold 1.2 litres/2 pints.

DECORATION~
    - Butter, 100g/4oz
    - Icing sugar (sieved), 175g/6oz
    - Bournville cocoa (or any other cocoa), 30ml/1 good tablespoon
    - Large packets of Cadbury's chocolate buttons (or any other chocolate buttons), x2
    - Glacé cherry, x1
    - Roasted coffee beans or seedless raisins x2

METHOD~
    "Cream the margarine and sugar together really well. Gradually beat in the eggs with a spoonful of the flour. Sieve the flour, baking powder and cocoa together and fold in. Add a little milk if the mixture is too dry. Turn into the prepared basin and bake in a moderate oven (180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4) for about 1 hour. Test with a warm skewer to see that the cake is cooked in the centre. Leave in the basin to cool then turn out.

Make the icing by beating in the butter with the sieved icing sugar. Dissolve the cocoa in a very little boiling water and mix into the butter icing. Spread the flat, top side of the cake with butter icing then cut it in half down the middle. Sandwich the two ends covered with icing together. Spread butter icing all over the cake and lift it onto a plate or cake board. Put a little extra icing at one end and form this into a point for the 'snout'. Cut each chocolate button in half and stick them into the butter icing at an angle, covering all the cake except for the front quarter. Make the points go in the same direction as they represent 'spines'. Mark the 'face' with a fork and put the cherry on the end, with the coffee beans or raisins in position for the 'eyes'."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, always make the cakes.

Easiest one I ever did was this one... A kitkat and smartie cake. Looks impressive, but is ridiculously easy to make.

Just make any type of round cake, and stick kitkats to the outside with icing. Pour smarties on top.

An 8 inch cake took 11 kitkats and 7 tubes of smarties.

http://www.recipegirl.com/2011/11/02/kit-kat-birthday-cake-and-a-recipe-girl-cookbook-deal/

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

I got a lend of a number 1 cake tin and made the odlums chocolate biscuit cake and then iced it very simply with different colour shapes! Simple but delicious! !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

@pwurple, that looks so fantastic...my mother is law is a great baker though so I feel like I have to try slightly harder to impress her :o

@xdancer, I think harriet the hedgehog is the winner...I'm a bit confused about the assembly so will have to google some pics.

I wanted to make the rainbow cake but I know that normal food dyes fade alot once baked and I don't know where to buy the gels.

@moocow100, nice cake but I don't think my one year old would get the jesus bit just yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭sari

I did a big number 1 cake made 2 square sponge cakes cut into shape of 1 held together with tooth picks, iced and decorated :) super easy and looked great

@xdancer, I think harriet the hedgehog is the winner...I'm a bit confused about the assembly so will have to google some pics.

I would upload a pic, but I don't have any on my computer. When the cake is baked and cooled, ice the top of it and then just cut it in half as if you were cutting it into slices and sandwich the iced parts together to make a dome.

harriethedgehodge.jpg?w=500&h=588

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Google cupcake cakes, some great ideas will come up. I haven't tried any yet but will do for the next birthday. You can get the food colour gels in home store and more a little goes a long way so they last for ages.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=cupcake+caterpillar+birthday+cake&espv=210&es_sm=93&tbm=isch&imgil=if9cESRV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Harriet is adorable! Reminds me of cakes my mum used to make us when we were small. And no artificial colours or funny tasting fondant. Win win. I'd gobble that up right now. :)

She used to do a rabbit version as well, vanilla buttercream with dessicated coconut stuck to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

well for some! Coming from a family with 7 kids, we used to get a shop bought swissroll with a few candles in it :D Still, wouldn't change it for the world. Swiss rolls still make me feel nostalgic!

well for some! Coming from a family with 7 kids, we used to get a shop bought swissroll with a few candles in it :D Still, wouldn't change it for the world. Swiss rolls still make me feel nostalgic!

I come from a family of 7 kids too. Luckily our birthdays are well spaced out throughout the year so my mother somehow managed to make us cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rodrigues

Victoria sponge and American frosting - easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Swiss roll (or to give it it's correct title, Jam Roly Poly!!) with hot custard is one of my all time favourites. I'm an easy girl to please!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

I did a smarties number one cake so easy to make!

Pinterest is great for ideas, one I saw was get a toy digger truck, make like a chocolate chip cake and just pile it onto the back of the truck so looks like a mound of muck, sounds a bit uck but actually cute idea for boys birthday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement