Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant listening for voice commands

Options
  • 24-02-2014 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm starting to look into voice commands, mainly on Android. From what I see, only certain launchers like the stock Nexus 5 Kit Kat launcher, and I think one of the Samsung launchers, actually allow for the ability to constantly listen for voice commands. Everything else, you've to open the app, and click a button to activate voice.

I've no idea, as of yet, whether iOS7 allows for constant interaction with the voice commands. Seeing the big hullabaloo over the last few years about Siri, I'd imagine there is some voice features available, but also knowing iOS, I'd imagine full access to its API is probably locked down to some degree.

I've an initial idea for an app which I want to see is feasible. It requires that constant voice listening is available, even if its only when the earphones/handsfree is plugged in.

Has anyone looked into this?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Pretty sure its only the Moto X and Nexus 5 hardware that are always listening, not the launchers because its impossible to get it always listening on my Nexus 4 with the Nexus 5 launcher.

On iOS Siri always needs user interaction and is never automatically listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Pretty sure its only the Moto X and Nexus 5 hardware that are always listening, not the launchers because its impossible to get it always listening on my Nexus 4 with the Nexus 5 launcher.

On iOS Siri always needs user interaction and is never automatically listening.
    Yeah and they are constantly listening for a particularly phrase "Ok, Google [Now]" They don't respond to anything else.

With iOS it has great voice support in accessibility options but they have to be manually triggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Ye thats what I was afraid of.

Thanks.

Advertisement