Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Road to the Ryder Cup 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

blackwhite wrote: »
    Luke hasn't entered the Italian Open, so can't gain any more points in the race.

But isn't GMAc looking to get his place from the World Points list? Donald will be in the field in Boston next week and plenty of points on offer there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

First Up wrote: »
    But isn't GMAc looking to get his place from the World Points list? Donald will be in the field in Boston next week and plenty of points on offer there.

It's detailed at the bottom of this page.
    http://www.europeantour.com/rydercup/points/
    The Ryder Cup World Points List will comprise Official World Golf Ranking Points won by a Member from each tournament in which he participates between August 26th 2013 and August 24th 2014 (or the conclusion of all the OWGR tournaments scheduled to conclude on that date, whichever is the latter), and thereafter ONLY from the Race to Dubai Tournament scheduled to conclude on August 31st 2014.

Important to note that it's points earned in the above period that counts, not the actual ranking in the OWGR.

The only remaining event on either tour that counts towards Ryder Cup points is the Italian Open - the Barclays was the last counting event in the US.

blackwhite wrote: »
    It's detailed at the bottom of this page.
    http://www.europeantour.com/rydercup/points/

Important to note that it's points earned in the above period that counts, not the actual ranking in the OWGR.

The only remaining event on either tour that counts towards Ryder Cup points is the Italian Open - the Barclays was the last counting event in the US.

Fair enough - thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

I only noticed that Gallacher is ahead of Westwood in the OWGR! If he just came short next week id give him the 3rd wildcard ahead of Westwood. I'd doubt McGinley would though. He's gone ahead of Poulter as well but he's a cert to be picked despite his lack of form. Of course Miguel is still ahead of them all but hasn't shown at all since winning his home open.

I don't know. I think McGinley is savvy enough to know that, whatever the English media say, he will be remembered as either a losing or winning captain. And that will make him choose the player who is likely to deliver the best performance in this year's competition,

So maybe he WILL pick Gallacher if he doesn't qualify automatically. In some ways, I almost hope that Gallacher knocks McDowell out of the top 9, because I can't see any way that McGinley could justify picking Westwood ahead of McDowell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Gotta pick poults anyway for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

abff wrote: »
    I don't know. I think McGinley is savvy enough to know that, whatever the English media say, he will be remembered as either a losing or winning captain. And that will make him choose the player who is likely to deliver the best performance in this year's competition,

So maybe he WILL pick Gallacher if he doesn't qualify automatically. In some ways, I almost hope that Gallacher knocks McDowell out of the top 9, because I can't see any way that McGinley could justify picking Westwood ahead of McDowell.

If that happened you'd imagine the last spot would be between Donald and Westwood. Be great alright for Gallacher to put the cat amongst the pigeons.

If that happened you'd imagine the last spot would be between Donald and Westwood. Be great alright for Gallacher to put the cat amongst the pigeons.

I agree. I can't see either McDowell or Poulter being left out of the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Come on Stevie G!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well Poulter is a must pick, and if GMac doesn't qualify, he would have to be picked too. Last spot.....Donald vs Westwood, I suppose. Neither is setting the world alight, but they have good track record in the Ryder cup and would have to be assets in the team room.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Well Poulter is a must pick, and if GMac doesn't qualify, he would have to be picked too. Last spot.....Donald vs Westwood, I suppose. Neither is setting the world alight, but they have good track record in the Ryder cup and would have to be assets in the team room.
    I think he'll give it to Gallacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

I'd be shocked.

I think it depends. If Gallacher plays well this week and just narrowly fails to make the top 9, then he might be given a pick ahead of Westwood (or Donald?). If he plays badly, then he's less likely to be picked.

He's currently 2 under after 10, so he's doing OK so far.

abff wrote: »
    I think it depends. If Gallacher plays well this week and just narrowly fails to make the top 9, then he might be given a pick ahead of Westwood (or Donald?). If he plays badly, then he's less likely to be picked.

He's currently 2 under after 10, so he's doing OK so far.

Local boy, good record on the course (knows it backwards) and playing a lot better than some of the other names being mentioned. There is already a ton of experience in the Euro side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I would like to see Gallacher automatically qualify. I thought that Poulter, Donald and Westwood would be the wildcards. But if he qualifies, McDowell is then a WC cert and probably Westwood will miss out. The more I read about Gallacher the more I think McGinley will go for him even if a wildcard is required. Poulter and Donald I think are certs. Donald because I reckon he and Garcia will be paired up again for the foursomes. Poulter likewise, he looks like a strong contender to partner Rose again. I cant see McGinley putting all the spotlight on McIlroy and McDowell in the opening foursomes, when he can go with two other tried and tested pairs in Rose / Poulter and Garcia / Donald.

Friday. Foursomes: Rose / Poulter, McIlroy / Donaldson, Garcia / Donald, McDowell / Dubuisson.
    Four-ball: Westwood – Kaymer, McIlroy – Poulter, Stenson – Bjorn, Garcia – Donald.

Saturday: Foursomes -Rose / Poulter, McIlroy / McDowell, Kaymer / Stenson, Garcia / Donald.
    Four-ball: Westwood - Donaldson, Bjorn – Stenson, McIlroy – Dubuisson, McDowell – Rose.

This would leave only McIlroy having played 4 matches. Stenson, McDowell, Garcia, Donald and Poulter having played 3. And everybody else having played twice.
    McGinley could also be swayed to go with Gallacher because he would galvanise a Scottish fan base and he is very familiar with Gleneagles (lives 35 miles away, lost in playoff at the Johnnie Walker Championship in August last year).

If Gallacher finishes top 10 on Sunday. Westood will be sweating buckets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Can't see the justification to be honest.

More sensible outside pick might be Marc Warren. 3rd in Scottish Open, 43rd in the British, 15th in the USPGA and 1st in Denmark

Currently 1 behind the leaders. If you are looking for a form player........

Id love a form player to get a wildcard, I wouldn't fancy giving all 3 to players out of form just for their experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

Tones69 wrote: »
    Gotta pick poults anyway for sure
    Im gonna get slated for this but hey ho.

I know he will get a pick but he is so out of form its insane and in my opinion could be as good as giving away 2/3 points and i dont think he should be in the team playing the way he is

161st - 61.65% Greens in regulation.
    106st - 60%in driving accuracy

When we consider that he is likely to play possibly every match these two stats alone are a huge concern in foursomes and fourball matches ...

There is every chance he will play like god a la the last ryder cup and i hope he does but imo picking a player in this bad a form is a risk and there has to be some objectivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

Marc Warren is 25th in the standings and winning the Danish Open, albeit a win, wouldn't exactly knock McGinleys socks off. Weak field.

Westwood is 16th in the standings and was 15th at the USPGA and 19th at Bridgestone. He's showing form.

With Westwoods pedigree and experience, that's a more impressive that Marc Warrens position.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Im gonna get slated for this but hey ho.

I know he will get a pick but he is so out of form its insane and in my opinion could be as good as giving away 2/3 points and i dont think he should be in the team playing the way he is

161st - 61.65% Greens in regulation.
    106st - 60%in driving accuracy

When we consider that he is likely to play possibly every match these two stats alone are a huge concern in foursomes and fourball matches ...

There is every chance he will play like god a la the last ryder cup and i hope he does but imo picking a player in this bad a form is a risk and there has to be some objectivity.

:) I had a similar post to this typed up a few times only to chicken out of sending it. His form is atrocious and picking a player just because of past glories is risky in the extreme. However, it's almost nailed on that he will be picked and if he does I hope he delivers the goods.

And I'll be cheering him on saying I told you so....

• Advertisement

Arsenium wrote: »
    :) I had a similar post to this typed up a few times only to chicken out of sending it. His form is atrocious and picking a player just because of past glories is risky in the extreme. However, it's almost nailed on that he will be picked and if he does I hope he delivers the goods.

And I'll be cheering him on saying I told you so....

My sentiments exactly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think the fact Poults has not come out and declared himself out for a captain's pick due to his horrendous year speaks a lot, he wants to be there and is convinced he can raise his game.
    I think he can too.

slave1 wrote: »
    I think the fact Poults has not come out and declared himself out for a captain's pick due to his horrendous year speaks a lot, he wants to be there and is convinced he can raise his game.
    I think he can too.

Poulter wants to be at the ryder cup, i have no doubt he will be picked i just hope it doesnt backfire.

Poulter wants to be at the ryder cup, i have no doubt he will be picked i just hope it doesnt backfire.

Agree completely here. I can't see him not being picked, but his form is frightful.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Agree completely here. I can't see him not being picked, but his form is frightful.

And people still champion the case of Westwood. A man who's Ryder cup record is Average compared to Donald and Poulter, just above 0.5, and with 4 missed cuts in his last 7 starts. Would have been 5, but he just got into the Barkley's by the skin of his teeth

Rikand wrote: »
    And people still champion the case of Westwood. A man who's Ryder cup record is Average compared to Donald and Poulter, just above 0.5, and with 4 missed cuts in his last 7 starts. Would have been 5, but he just got into the Barkley's by the skin of his teeth

Westy is the strongest putter of those looking for a pick, I kid you not!
    Ryder cup is decided on big putts

• Advertisement

Luke Donald is at least as good

I'm looking for the :pac: or the :D or even the :p but I'm not seeing them....

http://www.rydercup.com/europe/2014/team/european-ryder-cup-points-list

Final confirmed list of qualifiers from both points lists.

Stevie G so close on the World Points List!

Luke wasn't far behind him and then poulter next on the list. poulter also first on the European points list of those who havent already qualified.

http://www.rydercup.com/europe/2014/team/european-ryder-cup-points-list

Final confirmed list of qualifiers from both points lists.

Stevie G so close on the World Points List!

Luke wasn't far behind him and then poulter next on the list. poulter also first on the European points list of those who havent already qualified.

Gallacher and Poulter the only players in the top 12 of both lists not to make the team!

From the World Rankings before the conclusion of this weeks tournaments

It couldn't be any closer overall!

European Ranked Top 9 [ average world ranking 13.1111111 ] { Total ranks divided by 9 }

McIlroy 1st
    Stenson 3rd
    Garcia 4th
    Rose 5th
    Kaymer 14th
    Gmac 16th
    Dooby 22nd
    Bjorn 26th
    Donaldson 27th

Likely European Picks ( my opinion )

Donald 29th
    Gallagher 34th
    Poulter 35th

US Ranked Top 9 [ Average World Ranking 13.0 ]

Furyk 6th
    Kuchar 8th
    Bubba 9th
    Mickleson 10th
    Fowler 11th
    Spieth 13th
    Zach Johnson 15th
    Jimmy Walker 20th
    Patrick Reed 25th

Likely American Picks ( my opinion )

Hunter 19th
    Keegan 24th
    Simpson 32nd

• Advertisement

I really hope McGinley picks Gallacher. He really deserves it based on his form all season and how he played in the last two tournaments. I think McGinley as good as said that he would get a pick when asked about the team on Sky Sports at the end of yesterday's Italian Open championship.

He was asked straight out if the wild cards boil down to a choice between Gallacher, Donald, Poulter and Westwood and he said that Fransisco would have to be added to that list. But I can't see him picking Molinari ahead of both Donald and Westwood. And bad and all as Poulter's recent form has been, at least he made it into the second round of the playoffs and his Ryder Cup records is much better than Westwood's.

If it was me, I would pick Gallacher, Poulter and Donald. I hope McGinley makes the same choice.

Forget what I said about webb simpson. Chris kirk has got this!

Just looking at the online betting odds and Poulter, Westwood and Gallacher are all long odds on. Looks as if the bookies are expecting Donald to lose out.

Cant believe Westwood is going to be there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

we don't know yet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

When & Where - is this on the tv ?

anyone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

dball wrote: »
    When & Where - is this on the tv ?

anyone

Its online here

charlieIRL wrote: »
    we don't know yet!!

I'm preparing myself!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

12.30?

Please be wrong.....please! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

be surprised if westwood makes it.

Hes way down the money list (behind lowry) and 6 players above him on world points list.

1/40 when betting closed, so was Gallacher and Poulter

Bah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Westwood, Poulter and Gallacher.

*Why are there two threads discussing the same topic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

on sky sports news:

poulter, westwood and gallacher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

be surprised if westwood makes it.

Hes way down the money list (behind lowry) and 6 players above him on world points list.

what do I know!

whatever the decision between donald and westwood, its a very strong team with a good mix of youth and ryder cup experience.

I dont feel bad for anyone that didnt make it either, they didnt play well enough.

agreed Johnny. Didnt play well enough indeed.

We still have a strong team either way.

Looking forward to the American Picks tonight now....

Hunter/Keegan/Kirk would be my guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I think those are fair picks. Westwood and Poulter for the experience and Gallagher because hes earned it. Tough on Donald but no room for sentiment.

Hunter/Keegan/Kirk would be my guess

Yeah until last night Watson had not much of a decision to make. Id go with Kirk above Simpson and Moore

• Advertisement

Bwhlp21CMAAQbT-.jpg

Advertisement