Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Road to the Ryder Cup 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

The Ryder Cup has lost a lot of its lustre and this is partly due to the Americans getting beaten every time. Can't be bothered to look it up but I thought I heard that they had lost 8 of the last 10. They will soon lose interest altogether.
    I remember the "war on the shore" in Kiawah Island, and afterwards the US was so full of itself they declared that Europe wasn't good enough for them and initiated the Presidents Cup so that they could take on the Rest of the World

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The Ryder Cup has lost a lot of its lustre and this is partly due to the Americans getting beaten every time. Can't be bothered to look it up but I thought I heard that they had lost 8 of the last 10. They will soon lose interest altogether.
    I remember the "war on the shore" in Kiawah Island, and afterwards the US was so full of itself they declared that Europe wasn't good enough for them and initiated the Presidents Cup so that they could take on the Rest of the World

And from 1935 - 1983 Europe/Great Britain and Ireland only won once.

And Since Europe was added in it's 10-7 to Europe.

hmmm, maybe you're right. Maybe we should go back to GB&I to give America a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Rikand wrote: »
    And from 1935 - 1983 Europe/Great Britain and Ireland only won once.

And Since Europe was added in it's 10-7 to Europe.

hmmm, maybe you're right. Maybe we should go back to GB&I to give America a chance
    or put the Americans in with the ROTW!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I wonder will Harrington be designated to follow Garcia's match!

I wonder will Harrington be designated to follow Garcia's match!

Judging by recent press conferences, Garcia certainly seems to have forgiven and forgotten :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Martin567

Judging by recent press conferences, Garcia certainly seems to have forgiven and forgotten :)

What did Sergio ever have to forgive??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Martin567 wrote: »
    What did Sergio ever have to forgive??

The issue Garcia had with Padraig apparently went back to the Seve Trophy match against Olazabal. As they came off the 18th having drawn the match, Garcia is reputed to have said "Well done Padraig" in a very sarcastic manner. Whether this is true or not, I don't know, but that's the story that was out there.

Since then, Padraig has won two majors where Sergio finished second. So what, you say? But, if put in the context of Sergio holding a grudge against Padraig for a perceived slight against Sergio's hero Olazabal, it makes it particularly hard for Sergio to bear.

I may have got things totally wrong, but that's my understanding of the "issue" between Padraig and Sergio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

abff wrote: »
    The issue Garcia had with Padraig apparently went back to the Seve Trophy match against Olazabal. As they came off the 18th having drawn the match, Garcia is reputed to have said "Well done Padraig" in a very sarcastic manner. Whether this is true or not, I don't know, but that's the story that was out there.

Since then, Padraig has won two majors where Sergio finished second. So what, you say? But, if put in the context of Sergio holding a grudge against Padraig for a perceived slight against Sergio's hero Olazabal, it makes it particularly hard for Sergio to bear.

I may have got things totally wrong, but that's my understanding of the "issue" between Padraig and Sergio.

Golfers are a pain in the arse too.

From reading a few of their books. Some of the most innocuous things that are said - are turned into life long grudges.

In fairness - Sergio - I'm not a fan - long story :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

If I didn't have 2 All-Irelands to attend this month, it would be a total drag until it starts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

abff wrote: »

As far as I remember there was a bit more to it than that, at an earlier hole Olazabal was doing something, moving loose grass or something and Padraig is said to have passed a comment along the lines of 'doing a bit of gardening there Jose' Olazabal took it as an accusation, picked up his ball and conceded the hole.

After the round the. Segio did the sarcastic applause you describe.

I'd say that's well in the past now though.

cairny wrote: »
    As far as I remember there was a bit more to it than that, at an earlier hole Olazabal was doing something, moving loose grass or something and Padraig is said to have passed a comment along the lines of 'doing a bit of gardening there Jose' Olazabal took it as an accusation, picked up his ball and conceded the hole.

After the round the. Segio did the sarcastic applause you describe.

I'd say that's well in the past now though.

Yes, that's the incident I was referring to. It was about Olazabal repairing a mark on the green. Padraig wasn't sure it was a pitch mark and suggested that Olazabal should wait until a referee could assess whether or not it was. Olazabal took offence and thought Padraig was accusing him of cheating and picked up his ball, conceding the hole.

As you say, it's a long time ago, but the impression I got was that Sergio still harboured some residual ill will over the incident. It was also mentioned as a possible factor two years ago when Padraig did not get a wild card pick.

I don't know whether there's anything to it or if it's just people dredging up old perceived grudges for the sake of a bit of controversy.

Harrington on Garcia:
    "We have zero in common, bar the fact that we both play golf. He is the antithesis of me, and I am the antithesis of him,"
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2008/dec/09/golf-padraig-harrington-sergio-garcia

Harrington on Garcia:
    "We have zero in common, bar the fact that we both play golf. He is the antithesis of me, and I am the antithesis of him,"
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2008/dec/09/golf-padraig-harrington-sergio-garcia
    It is not as if we have ever had a row or a run-in. I have had plenty of run-ins with people and we would be friends but [with Garcia] it is just, well, we are just so much the opposite of each other."

Well I'm glad that settles that then :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

IMHO Garcia acts like a spoilt brat most of the time and a sore loser, unfortunately Bubba seems to be heading the same way as his demeanor on TV coverage these days is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

That's from 6 years ago to be fair.

Wasn't the story that at Carnoustie when PH & Sergio passed by each other on one of the bridges over the burn on 17th/18th Sergio said something along the lines of "howya Padraig" and Paddy blanked him because he was in the zone, and Sergio got the hump over that ? Thought I read that somewhere at the time.

Anyway, I think they're all mature enough to get over stuff like that from the past, if there was ever anything to actually get over in the first place. There's another article somewhere from a Ryder Cup where PH explains "why I had to sit down and talk to Sergio" to clear everything up.

Win or lose, I don't think it will be an issue. McGinley wouldn't have picked him if it was going to be. Same with Olly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

slave1 wrote: »
    IMHO Garcia acts like a spoilt brat most of the time and a sore loser, unfortunately Bubba seems to be heading the same way as his demeanor on TV coverage these days is shocking.

Thankfully, he seems to have turned a corner since his stropping days. He has been in a very positive place mentally all year and it's good to see.

So the show kicks off 3 weeks from today.... at 7:35am!! Think I prefer the coverage when on the opposite side of the Atlantic.

Dont mind missing Friday. I aint gonna miss a minute of it Saturday and Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Martin567

Russman wrote: »
    Wasn't the story that at Carnoustie when PH & Sergio passed by each other on one of the bridges over the burn on 17th/18th Sergio said something along the lines of "howya Padraig" and Paddy blanked him because he was in the zone, and Sergio got the hump over that ? Thought I read that somewhere at the time.

I remember that clearly from the time. Padraig, one shot ahead, had just hit his tee shot on the 18th into the burn. Sergio had just teed off on the 17th. They met as Padraig was figuring out where to drop his ball to play his 3rd shot.

They passed a few feet from each other. Sergio smiled and presumably said hello. Padraig walked right by him. Sergio may have been offended but Padraig presumably felt it wasn't an appropriate occasion for social niceties. Or perhaps he genuinely didn't even see him because he was so focused. Either way, it's hardly something worth holding a grudge over!

it was because he couldn't see him
    padraig-harrington-2562013-2-630x462.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Went to the range today (UK) and walked into a sponsors events; hit a Ryder cup sign from 90 yards (5 goes) and/or sink a 25 foot downhill putt to be entered into a draw for tickets. Six pairs available, missed the sign by a few feet but sunk the putt on the first go. Sunk thought on the first go (of 3) Decent odds of getting drawn, only 35 in when I left at 4pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Harrington on Garcia:

Padraig is :
    - a multiple major winner
    - a winner of the European tour order of merit
    - a man who plays golf for the pure love of the game
    - a man who plays the game with a smile on his face, without strops or tantrum, even when it it going against him
    - a world ranking sportsman who is unfailingly polite, honest, and open to the media and his fans
    - a man who accepts form and fortune turning against him with admirable fortitude
    - a man whose determination, discipline, and drive for constant improvement ensured he made the absolute maximum of his natural talents.

Sergio, as he says himself, is the antithesis of Padraig.

This day 2 weeks I'm hoping to see more of this. Love the buzz around The Ryder Cup!

Bubba said he wont be encouraging it this year:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Woosnam chips in on the number of vice captains .

Former world number one Ian Woosnam is bemused by European Ryder Cup skipper Paul McGinley's decision to opt for five vice-captains instead of the usual four and believes it could betray a sign of weakness.

McGinley raised a few eyebrows last week when he drafted in 2012 captain Jose Maria Olazabal, Padraig Harrington and Miguel Angel Jimenez to join Sam Torrance and Des Smyth as his deputies for the biennial team event at Gleneagles from 26-28 September.

"I honestly thought he was going to go for four vice-captains," Woosnam told Reuters in an interview.

"It took me a little bit by surprise when he went for five.

"Is it a sign of weakness having that many? It does seem a lot. Maybe he's trying to get as much experience as he possibly can, I don't really know.

"He might need a bigger team room, he might as well have 12 vice-captains, one for each player," joked Woosnam.

This captaincy lark is becoming a joke at this stage .
    Between Mc Ginley saying the captaincy is a full time job for 2 years and that he has no spare time due to all the preparations he has to make and now 5 vice captains its becoming ludicrous.
    I'm surprised McGinley was able to find time to appear on the late late show last week with his hectic schedule.:rolleyes:

If Mc Ginley turned up at the start of the week and had no vice captains would it make any difference to the outcome .

he obviously wants people watching matches whos opinion he trusts. makes sense to me.
    McGinley is not an ego maniac, like Faldo, and fair play to McGinley if he feels the need for 5 other lads. I can see only benefits.

Zardoz wrote: »
    Woosnam chips in on the number of vice captains .

This captaincy lark is becoming a joke at this stage .
    Between Mc Ginley saying the captaincy is a full time job for 2 years and that he has no spare time due to all the preparations he has to make and now 5 vice captains its becoming ludicrous.
    I'm surprised McGinley was able to find time to appear on the late late show last week with his hectic schedule.:rolleyes:

If Mc Ginley turned up at the start of the week and had no vice captains would it make any difference to the outcome .

I'd take Woosnam's opinion with a pinch of salt

Woosnam probably still hates McGinley for halfing his match when Woosnam was going for the record winning margin as captain in 2006 against the yanks.

I'd take Woosnam's opinion with a pinch of salt

Woosnam probably still hates McGinley for halfing his match when Woosnam was going for the record winning margin as captain in 2006 against the yanks.

Yea. Woosnam another one with an ego. Paul is showing his class in all his RC dealings to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭plumber77

Pity he didn't show as much interest in counting his clubs back in the day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

4 vice captains is enough tbh, one to watch each fourball/foursome. I know Monty ended up with 5 in 2010 but that was due to a change in the format due to the weather.

Zardoz wrote: »
    Between Mc Ginley saying the captaincy is a full time job for 2 years

Completely ludicrous it is. Either they get carried away with their warped view of the Ryder Cup's grandeur, or they are cynically riding a gravy train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

4? 5?

Who gives a sh1t?

All that matters here is the result....

plumber77 wrote: »
    Pity he didn't show as much interest in counting his clubs back in the day..

Woosie the egomaniac doesn't make mistakes like that. Twas all colin byrnes fault. Conveniently another irishman to blame all his woes on.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Woosie the egomaniac doesn't make mistakes like that. Twas all colin byrnes fault. Conveniently another irishman to blame all his woes on.....

Nothing to do with Colin Byrne.

First Up wrote: »
    Nothing to do with Colin Byrne.

Your right. It was miles byrne. My mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

A pity Bjorn wasn't available for a vice captaincy. M/C in Zandvoort and one top ten in his last 6 tournaments might not see him getting a whole pile of action in 2 weeks. Last December since his last win.

A pity Bjorn wasn't available for a vice captaincy. M/C in Zandvoort and one top ten in his last 6 tournaments might not see him getting a whole pile of action in 2 weeks. Last December since his last win.

Goes back to the point I made several months ago when I expressed concern about the fact that the Nedbank Challenge was counting towards the Ryder Cup race. I made the point at the time that it could catapult Bjorn into the Ryder Cup team in spite of an indifferent season and that's exactly what's happened.

Let's just hope that he has a good Ryder Cup.

from reading that interview, Darren Clarke comes across as an absolute gobsheen. Another one with "d ego"

That's a great read! Loved the closing story...
    PMcG: Yeah, and the kids love it there. We're staying in a Marriott (hotel) on the I-5 freeway. It's not that luxurious but we have inter-connecting rooms and access to the business lounge on the top floor, where you can have your breakfast free in the morning. We go to bed and wake up the next morning at 6.30 jet-lagged, so I tell Ali I'm going upstairs to get some doughnuts and coffee.

PK: To the business lounge?
    -
    PMcG: Yeah. So I put on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt and some flip flops and get into the lift and it goes up one floor and this guy gets in. He's suited and booted and has a briefcase and is full of the joys of spring.

"Hey buddy, how you doing?"

I said, "Grand, yeah, how are you?"

"Is that an Irish accent?"

"Yeah, I'm from Ireland."

"Oh my God, I love Ireland. My mum's from Ireland. I live in Boston and was brought up in a Catholic Irish school."

So the lift is going up and he's going on about Ireland and I notice he is wearing a Ryder Cup tie from Medinah. So I change the subject:

"Were you in Medinah last year?'

"I've gone to the Ryder Cup for the last 20 years," he says. "It's the greatest event of all time. The best Ryder Cup ever was the one in Ireland in 2006, it was just amazing.'

So we get to the top floor and as we're getting out of the lift I ask: "Will you be going to Gleneagles?" He says, "Hey man, of course I'm going to Gleneagles, we've got an Irish guy as captain, how could I miss it?"

(McGinley laughs)

So we go in and we're getting our coffee and he says "Are you going to Gleneagles?" And I said, "Yeah, I might go." He says "Buddy, see you there."

PK: You never told him?

PMcG: I never told him.

PK: That's a great story.

PMcG: Well, it's one of those stories that sums up (the difference between) Tom Watson and me - that would never happen to Tom Watson in a lift in San Diego.

'It's playing for the jersey and the people you're from. That's the connection with the Ryder Cup'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

My tip is Rory and Sergio to team up together ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

stevieob wrote: »
    My tip is Rory and Sergio to team up together ;)

*Runs to a bookies*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

PARlance wrote: »
    *Runs to a bookies*

i was looking for odds.... couldn't find any :(

i want half your winnings ;)

Has McGinley named any reserve vice captains in case Padraig has to play ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Has McGinley named any reserve vice captains in case Padraig has to play ?

Yeah Happy Gilmore.

• Advertisement

Just watched Azinger's win as Captain in 2008 - He had the crowd worked up perfect.

But the US players just played out of their skins - the course looked a joke - (wide) - Anthony Kim had 10 threes in 14 holes .

He is remembered as a great Captain - Faldo a villain.

Just watched Azinger's win as Captain in 2008 - He had the crowd worked up perfect.

But the US players just played out of their skins - the course looked a joke - (wide) - Anthony Kim had 10 threes in 14 holes .

He is remembered as a great Captain - Faldo a villain.

In fairness, there's a lot of reasons why Faldo is remembered as a villain. But I guess he might have got away with it if Europe had won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Can you give us a summary of those reasons? Wasn't as into golf back then so don't understand

Synode wrote: »
    Can you give us a summary of those reasons? Wasn't as into golf back then so don't understand

He started off with a bad speech.

Wasn't a big deal but when things went bad . The media turned on him and he could do no right.

I've heard a few players saying they liked some of the ideas he had.

unusual character.

He lost. If he won he would have been an eccentric genius.

The point I'm making is. Nobody could have taken that us team The way they played.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭baboo800

He started off with a bad speech.

Wasn't a big deal but when things went bad . The media turned on him and he could do no right.

I've heard a few players saying they liked some of the ideas he had.

unusual character.

He lost. If he won he would have been an eccentric genius.

The point I'm making is. Nobody could have taken that us team The way they played.

At least he reminded us to bring our waterproofs to celtic manor

• Advertisement
Advertisement