Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toastedpickles Saab 9-5 2.3t SE build

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

greasepalm wrote: »
    were the plugs changed if not through a set in.

They were changed, about a month ago i do recall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Great thread. I picked up a 2.0 95 with 156k miles on it. So far sump done, new belt and tensioner and actually did timing chain. After all that I realised the PCV hasn't been updated. Tbh, I live in dread of major problems every time I drive the car, which is a pity as I love it.

Did you sell the original wheels you had?

Great thread. I picked up a 2.0 95 with 156k miles on it. So far sump done, new belt and tensioner and actually did timing chain. After all that I realised the PCV hasn't been updated. Tbh, I live in dread of major problems every time I drive the car, which is a pity as I love it.

Did you sell the original wheels you had?

Thanks! Also I'm the very same with my car, I'm getting to the point where I'm afraid to drive it hard, I still have the originals out in the shed, but only the alloys

Thanks! Also I'm the very same with my car, I'm getting to the point where I'm afraid to drive it hard, I still have the originals out in the shed, but only the alloys

Hah, I'm in a garage now after she spring another leak. I'll get the pcv done soon too.

Ah, send me a pm if you're interested in selling. They're the exact wheels I'm after but I'd be better off buying them with used tyres as am broke after all this fixing.

Hah, I'm in a garage now after she spring another leak. I'll get the pcv done soon too.

Ah, send me a pm if you're interested in selling. They're the exact wheels I'm after but I'd be better off buying them with used tyres as am broke after all this fixing.

Get the pcv done sooner rather than later, neobrothers in the uk do the kit fairly cheap, Also, my cars parked up due to a wrecked di cassete and the rads starting to leak, super!

If I do decide to sell them I'll have you first on the list :)

• Advertisement

I got bored

So here's a post of how to fix dodgy windows! Common enough problem in 9-5's it seems and I'm sure it's similar to other cars so here we go

So get a little flathead screw driver, pry out the coinholder

After this you can simply pop the module out of place, this is a fairly delicate thing so when you're detaching/unclipping plastic from plastic, just mind it incase they break

npm1bq.jpg

And we're out!

9td3b6.jpg

345kcg1.jpg

So I took things inside for the rest, let the module warm up a tad, if you're impatient like me, use a hair dryer on a medium setting

Right, start undoing the clips, on the top cover, the black piece, get a small flathead screwdriver and pry them apart, do one on one side, then the same on the otherside

2rrkwo4.jpg

You should be left with this

b4i6wo.jpg

After this comes another delicate part, take off the buttons, again with your screwdriver you need to pop them off so lift them up, wedge in the screwdriver and gently but persuasively lift them off, if there's bits damaged on them it's ok once the main housing underneath is intact

And here's what lays beneath

rkdmrn.jpg

Now more unclipping, unclip the white piece from the lower black piece using the same method as the first time around, then push the clear block bits out of the housing, you should be left with this

zx8w3p.jpg

I stuck the black lower part back on, it slides back up , as you can work with it on a table then

After this unclip the little clear peices, one side clips out easily enough, you can move it around then until it comes out, i found that by turning them upside down they came out pretty handy

Here's what you should get

344pqau.jpg

Now onto business, these are the things your after, you can clean them with cotton buds or something, but as long as they're clean that's all that matters, and the terminals too obviously

Again with the screwdriver, just lift them out

j6tr0w.jpg

They'l be probably caked in dirt and grime so get a cotton bud, clean it up, and clean the terminal its in, do one at a time and replace them before starting the next one

2v0bqkm.jpg

And one of the terminals

5k1t9v.jpg

After all this put the clean pieces back in, they clip back into place, then the white plastic piece, then the buttons, make sure they're on properly, and last but not least the top black piece, after all this go back out to the car, reconnect it up and test it to see if it works, if it does, you've saved yourself about 100 quid! slot it back in place, put back the coin holder and call it a day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭greasepalm

christ saab must hate you big big time lol,good eyesight needed.

christ saab must hate you big big time lol,good eyesight needed.

Why would they hate me? :pac:

probably have on shelf waiting to shift

Someone has to keep them in business :P

Besides, I had a sticky window that was bothering me so i wanted to get to the bottom of it and i did, no more sticky window!

• Advertisement

ohh a smashing time,quick hide the hammer.

Sticking this up for my own references

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190466

Bought a brand new fuel pump today for a very costly sum, coil pack came as well so I'm gona fit that later on and see if it changes anything

and your fuel filter if not changed before?

Whats in the box?? :pac:

10pu0qb.jpg

Oh not much, just a fuel pump :rolleyes:

qq1ibk.jpg

Still in two minds about fitting this myself. Partly because it's a very crucial component and I don't have another small fortune to go buy another, and secondly because if i was to do something wrong the lines could leak fuel or something and if a spark catches is, i'll really be living up to my user name,

Anyways, it's being sent off monday or tuesday to get it done, hopefully i'll have a working car by the end of next week

Would you do a photo story on the coil pack when you're doing it, please? My PCV is on the way but the car went all juddery last night and threw up the engine light so I have a feeling it's spark plugs or coil packs and I'm at the limit of my budget now so trying to avoid garage.

Would you do a photo story on the coil pack when you're doing it, please? My PCV is on the way but the car went all juddery last night and threw up the engine light so I have a feeling it's spark plugs or coil packs and I'm at the limit of my budget now so trying to avoid garage.

If you go back a few pages its on a service i done, It's simple enough you just undo the clip, screws and lift the whole thing out, the problem can be one of three things, the fuel pump, the worst of them all, the coil pack which is just needing to be replaced as there's components that burn out or its the cps sensor which i done a few pages back too, if you like I can plug it in and see what the problem actually is, if you want? Pm me and we can sort something :)

I had planned on doing this aaaaages ago but never bothered doing it, with the fuel pump out of action, and the car going away tomorrow to get the new one fitted, and hopefully be running again, I figured I may as well do the filter now to make sure

Anyway, you'l need a 10mm and 17 mm socket and a 19mm ratchet spanner

Jack up the car from the back, wonder of k frames etc etc :cool:

The filter is located on the drivers side at the back near the rear wheel

Because my car isnt starting I just removed the fuse (fuse 35) and that de pressurized the system, however if your car does start do that, and start the car, it will die of fuel starvation, then start the work :)

There's a cover on it so remove the cover, it's usually cable tied on, and looks like this

e06dtf.jpg

Get a basin or an old hoodie to cover the ground around you and get to work on the filter

4huqo7.jpg

Using the 19mm spanner start at the rear of the filter, Do this carefully as there might still be a bit of pressure in the lines, and expect fuel to start leaking out too, once the bolt is off undo the front with a 17mm socket :)

2r55gn4.jpg

And after a few turns on the nut we have this

k2h8uu.jpg

Undo the nut and catch the washers, let the fuel line drain, and do the same for the front nut, then undo the mounting bracket with a 10mm socket and extension :)

2s9ojye.jpg

The whole filter should come out at this stage, remove the bracket, and fit it to the new filter, note which way the directional arrow is as that's the way the fuel flows apparently,

Here's what I pulled out, again be mindful of fuel going everywhere

2v1x8nq.jpg

Then fit the bracket to the new one and refit it

34zk1dz.jpg

Fit the rear nut in first and then the front

vrt1j9.jpg

And then tighten up the front nut and stick on the cover with some cable ties

Jobs a gud'un!

then reassemble it all and start the car! :)

and what no checking for a fuel leak while having a quick puff:eek::D

So a short update is in order,

All is well on the sweedish front, nothing to report here! Drove roughly 200 miles today and the car didn't miss a beat, so I'm happy, when money/summer comes, I should be doing a few things to it but until then it looks all good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

What are your long term plans for her? If you are going to sell her at any stage PM me first please.

• Advertisement

What are your long term plans for her? If you are going to sell her at any stage PM me first please.

You're first on the list :)

Long term plans

Brake upgrade, new drilled and grooved disks, brembo pads, and steel braided lines

Coilovers, although these would be a more expensive thing, along with an entire polybush upgrade, front and back

New, better turbo, the ones from the aero models

annnnnd a remap, once i get money to get to england

Sounds like you will be keeping her for a while.

I plan to go 9-5 shopping at the end of the year. The avensis is boring me too much these days. Tis amazing how much car you get for your money with a second hand SAAB.

Sounds like you will be keeping her for a while.

I plan to go 9-5 shopping at the end of the year. The avensis is boring me too much these days. Tis amazing how much car you get for your money with a second hand SAAB.

Yeah its crazy, if you need a hand with anything work wise, give me a shout :)

If it was to go down the swanny I'd still consider you if you wanted to repair the said broken piece and theres a car for pennies

Will do
    not looking forward to dropping the sump

Will do
    not looking forward to dropping the sump

I'll do it for you if you like, or at least help

I couldnt ask you to do it but a bit of help would be appreciated.

I couldnt ask you to do it but a bit of help would be appreciated.

Consider it done then! :)

a regular oil and filter routine with good type correct oil saves dropping sumps,its the lazy people that keep topping up their oil without changing it that leads to early grave or nct fail.

a regular oil and filter routine with good type correct oil saves dropping sumps,its the lazy people that keep topping up their oil without changing it that leads to early grave or nct fail.

Your partly right but SAAB produced upgraded kits to allow more air flow into the engine to help reduce the problem.
    That said if everyone used mobil 1 esp from day one they wouldnt have had a problem,

• Advertisement

Again with the little things, found courtesy lights under the doors today, also fitted new flat blade wipers and my fire extinguisher :)

Advertisement