Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toastedpickles Saab 9-5 2.3t SE build

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Both cars are looking very well and changing the clutch once it is done you wont have to worry about it for a long time to come. Didnt know the aero had a different clutch with the extra power it makes sense it would have a different clutch.

Poly bushes will be nice. She will be better than the day she came out of the factory when your finished.

Yeah down to my last few hundred now, gona get a price off my mechanic to do the clutch tomorrow and see from there, I'm expecting about 800 all in :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Do you have to pay english VAT or can that be avoided?

Thats a balls to be honest. Is there an aftermarket option by someone like bosch/Luk/Sachs?

Do you have to pay english VAT or can that be avoided?

Thats a balls to be honest. Is there an aftermarket option by someone like bosch/Luk/Sachs?

Yeah you have to pay :( I've looked at the aftermarket yokes, they're even dearer

• Advertisement

Sorry lad, thats a right balls.

Sorry lad, thats a right balls.

Ah no worries sure :) Yeah it is, i took it out there and it's not slipping now, done a few tests, slow take off, quick take off, got it to biting point with the handbrake on, solid as anything, we'l see tomorrow i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Seeing what you've done so far with the 95 and 900, changing the clutch yourself should be a walk in the park

Seeing what you've done so far with the 95 and 900, changing the clutch yourself should be a walk in the park

Just ordered it there, getting a hand with it from my mechanic, he's looking for 350 on the condition that i do the work with him, this way i can stick in the polybush kit i got and do the gearbox oil seal

All the birds, one stone

As of next week I'll be doing this, I don't think I'll be taking many pictures, but this is the general procedure

fun times ahead

http://home.jtan.com/~joe/saab/clutch.htm

• Advertisement

This is what happens when i go online shopping at night, got two decals of the griffin logo, thought it would be cool to have them on the front seats, I think its a nice little feature, and if i get sick of them they can be removed :)
    The driver side came out well, the passengers not so well, but none the less

35bvabq.jpg

2hhzztc.jpg

And the passengers :o

11vr0wk.jpg

So what do we think??

Looks nice

The last piece of the puzzle arrived today :D
    Genuine sachs clutch for 150 shipped

And a family photo of whats to be going in

nccz1d.jpg

Let the fun begin!

Changed my rapidly deteriorating vacuum lines for some new blue silicone ones :)

33c3wpt.jpg

2lcwf1s.jpg

zn24v5.jpg

987f5h.jpg

And the state of one of the old vacuum lines

2q3q73s.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Your slipping then not slipping clutch reminds me of the feeling you can get when oil has got onto the clutch.

Ah bums anyways :(

Done the coolant by pass valve today, known to give out at around the 100K mark I was playing roulette it seems with my car at 118K so i replaced it just to be safe

Things you'l need
    A waterpump pliers
    A new bypass valve
    Cable tie cutters
    Cable ties
    New vacuum lines (optional)
    Patience

To begin take this cover off

15nozo6.jpg

Which exposes this big ol loom piece, pull the red tab towards you like so

2rzx8qd.jpg
    doqxj9.jpg

Then lift up the weather strip to show this bracket, while you're there undo the 10mm nuts holding the bracket to the firewall

dy9egi.jpg

Then move it out of the way somewhere, I originally had it like this but i moved it even further down by the intake pipe with a bungee cord

1z5unnl.jpg

Then start removing the hose clips, these are tedius at best so you need a waterpump pliers for it, watch out for coolant spilling everywhere, one this is done cut the cable tie on it and take out the old one

4rth88.jpg

Here's the new one and my feline assistant

2ypkua1.jpg

Then fitting is the reverse of removal, there is a bracket on the back of it which you slide up into it like so then stick a new cable tie on it to secure it to the firewall

5posjo.jpg

Bolt back up the metal panel, stick in the loom and the cover and jobs a good un!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,670 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Done the coolant by pass valve today, known to give out at around the 100K mark

Ah that little focker :D

The only 2 things that went wrong with my 9-5 (owned it from when it was 10 to when it was 12 years old) were the original alarm battery went (didn't bother replacing it - who'd steal a €1k car? :)) and the coolant bypass valve. My mechanic (reputable indy garage) charged me €60 for it all-in labour and part. He burnt his hand though :(

I could be wrong but I seem to remember that those feckers tend to go after about 10 years time (regardless of mileage) and that they are replaced in Saab dealers after 7 years if you have your car serviced with them. So fair play to you, it was bound to pop any time!

Edit: forgot that the third thing that went wrong with my 9-5 was the drivers side window mechanism, the green plastic roller wheels broke. Thanks Opel for your inferior part :( Fixed that myself for a tenner or something, parts from eBay...

and the fourth thing was the plastic cover of the dipstick that died of brittle old age. Got a wholed dipstick assembly from a breaker for a fiver

unkel wrote: »
    Ah that little focker :D

The only 2 things that went wrong with my 9-5 (owned it from when it was 10 to when it was 12 years old) were the original alarm battery went (didn't bother replacing it - who'd steal a €1k car? :)) and the coolant bypass valve. My mechanic (reputable garage) charged me €60 for it all-in labour and part. He burnt his hand though :(

I could be wrong but I seem to remember that those feckers tend to go after about 10 years time (regardless of mileage) and that they are replaced in Saab dealers after 7 years if you have your car serviced with them. So fair play to you, it was bound to pop any time!

Yeah it was a right pain to get the clips off! other than that piece of cake, took my time and that was grand, the old valve was intact but as you said, could've went at any time

So i thought it would be interesting to do a little summary of the work done on the car to date

Sump drop
    Pcv#6
    Cps sensor
    Ball joints
    Throttle body
    Drop links
    New tyres
    Fully serviced 10k ago
    Coolant bypass valve
    Led interior
    Camshaft plug blanked
    New thermostat
    Coilpack (used)
    Flat wiper blades
    Installed small fire extinguisher
    Cabin temp sensor
    New window rollers
    Oil pressure switch changed
    High flow turbo delivery pipe + associated pipework
    New vacuum lines

Things yet to go in

New clutch
    Radiator
    Polybush subframe kit
    Rear crankshaft oil seal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

I've seen you a few times driving through Newbridge in the 95. Car is a credit to you, looks really well.

renofan wrote: »
    I've seen you a few times driving through Newbridge in the 95. Car is a credit to you, looks really well.

Have you? Well thank you very much :) If you're local I may show you it sometime if you want :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Have you? Well thank you very much :) If you're local I may show you it sometime if you want :)

Didn't have the courage to shout "Hey Toastedpickles, I know you off the 'net" across the street as you were driving by!! People think I'm mad enough without that! Ya may call out to you some Sat as I'd like to see the other yoke too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Didn't have the courage to shout "Hey Toastedpickles, I know you off the 'net" across the street as you were driving by!! People think I'm mad enough without that! Ya may call out to you some Sat as I'd like to see the other yoke too :)

I would have...

Sure fire away! drop me a pm sure and I'm sure Ill be around!
    I would have...

HEYOR!! ARE YOOOOO FROM DE INTERNEH??

So as we can all see, nothing much has been done on the car, because there's nothing really to do! Needs new pads and rear discs soon, but other than that, it's as right as it can be :)

Still puts a stupid grin on my face 8 months later

So at last an update most of it is in the chat thread but sure, might as well stick it in here too

Went to the shops last night, two perfectly good headlights, came out of the shops and one decided to not work, so i tried banging the headlight which usually does the job but not this time, so i carried on without it and got a spare, still no joy

Took it into work today and found it was blowing fuses whenever we turned on the light so we presumed it was going to ground somewhere along the loom, so off with the front of the car, lights, bumper, grille, and traced the loom back to the fusebox over on the right of the engine, no joy, so done a few tests on it, eventually turned out to be the bulb itself was shorting and causing the problems, new correct bulb in, reassembled the front, while cursing the car to the ground :pac: and its all good again :)

Wee bit of an update is in order i think!

Getting new rear brakes soon, had the throttle body changed (again) with a proper one and all seems to be well again, what was thought to be a split inter cooler was all caused by a rightly fecked throttle body, going to source a boost leak on friday also so that should be fun!

Small ol job today, replaced this little fella on the intake manifold

2afx2j9.jpg

Brake booster vacuum line was a bit loose, and one night it came out altogether, with me nearly hitting the arse of a bus :o

So after a bit of a wait it came from sweeden today, and after a few calls it turned out all i really needed was the red cap :o

So that's where it is! out with the line, out with the cap and same in reverse :)

5cllx3.jpg

I've a little something planned for the next while so hopefully it'l come to fruition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Would you not just have replaced the new part? Rather than taking off the red piece? Just so it would be new and all.

Advertisement