Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your cork zombie apocolypse safehouse?

Options
  • 25-02-2014 1:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭

where you gonna go to in cork when the zombie apocolypse hits?

how you gonna survive?

personally im gonna hide out in mannix and cullhane on washington street because in 35 years, ive never seen a single soul go in there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

merchants quay multi storey car park ... easily barricaded multiple entry and exit points.. large roof for collecting rainwater etc .... ability to close off sections that would be over run ... plenty of room to house people and equipment

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Best defence is a good offence - “Nuke the entire site from orbit--it's the only way to be sure".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

opti76 wrote: »
    merchants quay multi storey car park ... easily barricaded multiple entry and exit points.. large roof for collecting rainwater etc .... ability to close off sections that would be over run ... plenty of room to house people and equipment

Ill see your car park and raise you cork city gaol.

its a jail ffs! impenetrable! or at least it was at one point!

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Have the army blow up all the bridges in Cork and live in the city centre. It's that's too much to ask for, I'd say I'll live on the island in the lough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Vernon Mount for me. Nice big place with an overlook of the hordes. I also don't fancy the zombies chances of crossing the South Ring in one piece ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭riaganach

The Elysian.

Like everyone else, zombies will stick up their half attached noses at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

yenom wrote: »
    Have the army blow up all the bridges in Cork and live in the city centre. It's that's too much to ask for, I'd say I'll live on the island in the lough.

Sounds like a plan. Not sure we even need zombies to justify implementing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

These threads all go the wrong way entirely. Don't find a "fortress" and hole up waiting for some zombie with most of his/her brain still intact to find a way to get there. Mobility is the key. What you want is a Humvee, with plenty jerry-cans for diesel and a couple of vehicle-mounted Browning M2s. Or the closest thing you can knock together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Old head of Kinsale. Promontory fort, full bar plenty of metal sticks to clear out the golfers andd zombies at the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

lolosaur wrote: »

how you gonna survive?

personally im gonna hide out in mannix and cullhane on washington street because in 35 years, ive never seen a single soul go in there.

...but zombies don't have souls...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

But.....but......but.......

Is Cork not full of zombies already?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

jimgoose wrote: »
    These threads all go the wrong way entirely. Don't find a "fortress" and hole up waiting for some zombie with most of his/her brain still intact to find a way to get there. Mobility is the key. What you want is a Humvee, with plenty jerry-cans for diesel and a couple of vehicle-mounted Browning M2s. Or the closest thing you can knock together.

So... a '98 FIAT Punto sporting, a few 2ltr 7up bottles of petrol and some hurleys? Right, I'm set.

I'm pretty sure we could isolate Cobh; completely cut it off.

At least then we wouldn't have to deal with people from Cobh too :pac: (joke)

Gamayun wrote: »
    So... a '98 FIAT Punto sporting, a few 2ltr 7up bottles of petrol and some hurleys? Right, I'm set.

I'm pretty sure we could isolate Cobh; completely cut it off.

At least then we wouldn't have to deal with people from Cobh too :pac: (joke)

I was thinking more along the lines of a Land Rover Defender and a few Ruger 10/22s, but yeah, that's the spirit! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SHANAbert

Problems with city centre hideouts is going to be fires. Blocks will be set alight be ejits with Molotov cocktails... No fire services to put them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

I'm going to get by blow up dinghy and get out to spike island. Pretty impressive fortress with plenty of options for food, for a while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Amateurs.

The obvious choice would be commandeer some sort of launch and bate out to Spike Island. You could then burn up the Lee periodically to sneak into the city for supplies.

Edit: Beaten to it!

FTA69 wrote: »
    Amateurs.

The obvious choice would be commandeer some sort of launch and bate out to Spike Island. You could then burn up the Lee periodically to sneak into the city for supplies.

I will support this as long as we can have deck-mounted Browning M2s. Do you need an engineer, be any chance?? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Corkman110

Glucksman Gallery UCC.

Outrageous amount of concrete to keep the ****ers out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Spike Island or the city centre itself if you destroy the bridges.

The river is surprisingly deep and the currents deeper down are insanely strong, but you cab still use a boat to move to other places for food and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Spike Island or the city centre itself if you destroy the bridges.

The river is surprisingly deep and the currents deeper down are insanely strong, but you cab still use a boat to move to other places for food and so on.

25 bridges you would have to remove in order to make the city centre island stand alone.

Possibly, the one by the mardyke walk where they have the skate park can be closed off as there are gates there nd the sme with the one at the back of the newsh ucc building but the rest you would need to find a way to either knock or blow up. now im no bridge expert but im fairly certain its not as easy as getting a sladge hammer at it or setting fire to them.

pretty cool island to have to yourself though. shame the elysian isnt on the island, would be the birds nest of the place in the zombie apocolyplse.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Fota? Blow up the bridges and eat the animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

how you gonna survive?

I'm gonna hide in the Butter museum in Shandon cause even the zombies wouldn't be bothered their arse going to that place. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Spike would be fine until the zombies figured out to use two or more boats and launch a multi-point attack.

I'd be heading for some of the older fortifications with natural protection. The Old Head or Galley Head are prime examples. Cliffs on three sides and onle one narrow entrance to defend.

Another possibility is to head for any building backing onto the Lee downstream of Patrick's Bridge or South Gate Bridge as you could keep a little boat on the river for rapid exits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭riaganach

ianobrien wrote: »
    Spike would be fine until the zombies figured out to use two or more boats and launch a multi-point attack.

I'd be heading for some of the older fortifications with natural protection. The Old Head or Galley Head are prime examples. Cliffs on three sides and onle one narrow entrance to defend.

Another possibility is to head for any building backing onto the Lee downstream of Patrick's Bridge or South Gate Bridge as you could keep a little boat on the river for rapid exits.

You strike me as someone who has contemplated this issue in advance of being prompted by the OP.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

how you gonna survive?

How do you know the zombies aren't already in there!
    I mean who else would wear a green jumper with brown diamonds on it!

Musgrave's for me, lock the gates, sleep on a crate of bog roll, freezers there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭usersame

probably hide out in CIT, the zombies would have to wait ages for the number 5, would probably get frustrated and walk instead, then get soaked and just head home freaked

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The Elysian would be an awful place, sure you'd have good view points, but there's no real escape route unless you wanted to risk a zipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Id find myself any half decent pub and have an all night lock in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

mikeym wrote: »
    Id find myself any half decent pub and have an all night lock in :D

This. Way I see it, I'm not too worried about surviving. I'd just drunk to the point that my impending doom wouldn't bother me. Probably go to the Savoy just because I know there is enough drink to last 10 people around 3 months there. Just in case the Zombies don't come quick enough.

Advertisement