Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The local elections candidate appreciation thread - MOD WARNING Post #1

Options
  • 25-02-2014 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭

Mod Warning: Knock off the politician-bashing. It is uncivil & will not be accepted.

tHB

Ok, so here goes - local elections coming up and I really do hate all the tripe that is put in the local media - especially the photo opportunities!!

Last week in the Wicklow Times John Brady was holding a box of syringes. So now in Greystones, the local election candidates are turning up the heat and looking to get their column-inch.

Here's Derek Mitchell standing in a puddle with his eyes closed.

mitchell.jpg

Rest of the story here: Greystones Guide

Please add any news articles which you feel fall under this topic and is worthy of our amusement.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

It's that bad that the people that live down there "have been forced to buy 4x4's". the flooding has been there for years (longer than some of the houses have been there) so its great that just before the election it has been noticed. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

astrofluff wrote: »
    Ok, so here goes - local elections coming up and I really do hate all the tripe that is put in the local media - especially the photo opportunities!!

Last week in the Wicklow Times John Brady was holding a box of syringes. So now in Greystones, the local election candidates are turning up the heat and looking to get their column-inch.

mitchell.jpg

Please add any news articles which you feel fall under this topic and is worthy of our amusement.

That pic reminds me of this site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭gibbon6

Derek Mitchell standing in a puddle with his eyes closed.

mitchell.jpg

Is this the swamp field that Wicklow County Council paid €6 million for???:confused:

Is Derek's green wellies stuck in the mud?

What is he contemplating?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

"Is this the swamp field that Wicklow County Council paid €6 million for?"
    What an exaggeration, but then it is a fun thread so anything goes it appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Anything goes within the charter ;-)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Derek Mitchell standing in a puddle with his eyes closed and hands by his side as if on sentry duty protecting the swamp field that Wicklow County Council paid a whopping €6million for.:eek:

mitchell.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

pixbyjohn wrote: »

And if you turn it upside down, sure doesn't it come out at €9 million....:)

Derek just signed a €10m deal with the Dutch to bring in 15 super pumps to create one of the biggest portable pumping operations ever seen, since Somerset, to clear the puddle once and for all. Derek said "During this crisis is not the time to talk about why the council canceled dredging of the road to divert the funds for the councillors New York st Patrick's day excursion" but promised that once the puddle has been cleared rock armour will be moved from greystones north beach to the site to sure up the road side while a new dredging operation is in place. This has worried local residents who now think funds allocated for the building of club houses at the state of the art harbour in Greystones will be no longer available. Derek said that while the money to clear the puddle has to come from somewhere he is still hopeful the club houses will be built as promised sometime within the next 3 months to 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

"Swamp" may be an exaggeration and they only paid €3M. But that aside the purchase was a very serious issue and raised huge questions about the propriety of WCC. So a bit of exaggeration is no harm

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    "Swamp" may be an exaggeration and they only paid €3M. But that aside the purchase was a very serious issue and raised huge questions about the propriety of WCC. So a bit of exaggeration is no harm

And it's only worth €400,000 now! I believe Derek Mitchel voted to buy this swamp field as well. It was intended for social housing so I suppose he wanted the intended dwellers well away from his gaff in the Burnaby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Didn't he also suggest the residents of Charlesland should pay for the maintenance of the dual carraigeway going from Greystones to the N11? Full of bright ideas this chap :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

mitchell.jpg

One too many drips can cause a flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Great publicity for Derek, 5 photos in 14 posts. There is no such thing as bad publicity really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Great publicity for Derek, 5 photos in 14 posts. There is no such thing as bad publicity really.

That might work for a brand, not in this situation methinks.

The comments make grim reading also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Idly reading Derek's ' sure arent I a great lad altogether ' admittedly old press release in the Greystones Guide,he says the IDA site has grown nothing but grass as it has lain idle when any eejit can see year in and year out it has been ploughed every spring and corn grown in it, obviously rented to a local farmer,

If he is so unaware of his immediate surroundings and just down the road from his home it's easy to understand why he has his eyes closed in that terrific photo......he's trying to figure out where the hell he is...:)

mitchell.jpg

[/quote]

This is Derek's parting of the Red Sea moment where he attempts to use his imaginary devine powers to evapourate the puddle he is standing in. We all know what usually happens with Derek's mad cap schemes but god loves a trier. He now intends to use his imaginary powers to replenish the north beach with vast quantities shingle cunningly snatched for the codling bank to give his mates at sisk a dig out.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

That's it Derek, now just click your heels together 3 times and repeat "There's no place like home. There's no place like home".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Make sure to get one of those John Brady T-shirts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Make sure to get one of those John Brady T-shirts.....

What?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

What?

Go to the Bray Comedy Club Facebook page.... they did up a t-shirt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Have to say, regardless of any political views I hold, I really dislike the personal nature of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The purpose of me starting this is to highlight the nonsense that the candidates create and the electorate has to endure this on the run up to the election. It's a tongue in cheek appreciation thread for those politicians who are jumping on the bandwagon about certain things, saying they are listening to your problems and will be seeking action.

I read the Wicklow Times weekly when it comes through the door, and any other local media outlet such as Greystones Guide, and what I really dislike is when these guys use 'staged' photos for publicity and also the terminology letting people think they did something when in fact they haven't actually done anything. This is not specific to Derek Mitchell. Read any article when a community has worked heard to get something done, and when the community achieves something, the first thing these guys do is get a piece in the paper saying ' So-and-so politician welcomes the new by-pass, flood defenses, etc'. Very rarely do we get a councillor who can actually state they've worked long and hard, with the help of the community, to achieve this. I believe in credit where credit's due. /rant

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Swanner wrote: »
    Have to say, regardless of any political views I hold, I really dislike the personal nature of this thread.
    To be fair it was the picture of Derek the dreamer standing motionless in a puddle that started this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Eponymous wrote: »
    One too many drips can cause a flood.

Id love to be computery and be able to draw a gnomes hat on his head and fishing rod in his hand ..

Hail Derek king of the puddles!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Says David O'Reilly a new FG candidate running for May local elections.

So this is not a post to ridicule the man - I have seen him in action as it were - really nice chap from what I can determine.

However, if you have read his missive posted through your letter boxes recently you will notice a glaring ommision.

No mention, not one word, or scintilla even, about the harbour.

Sorry David - for me (at any rate) the harbour is the #1 issue. No vote from me.

legrand wrote: »
    Says David O'Reilly a new FG candidate running for May local elections.

So this is not a post to ridicule the man - I have seen him in action as it were - really nice chap from what I can determine.

However, if you have read his missive posted through your letter boxes recently you will notice a glaring ommision.

No mention, not one word, or scintilla even, about the harbour.

Sorry David - for me (at any rate) the harbour is the #1 issue. No vote from me.

Try here
    http://www.davidoreilly.ie/blog/2014/2/28/weekly-update-2802

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Jimjay wrote: »

Which was just put up today? Coincidence??

• Advertisement

Taltos wrote: »
    Which was just put up today? Coincidence??

Is David O'Reilly supportive of the Community Plan? I hope he keeps away from standing in puddles like his strange running mate!!!

Advertisement