Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The local elections candidate appreciation thread - MOD WARNING Post #1

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

gibbon6 wrote: »
    Is David O'Reilly supportive of the Community Plan? I hope he keeps away from standing in puddles like his strange running mate!!!

I've no idea if he is or not. However he is FG and we saw how they all voted. Remember one party - no room for dissenters... On that alone I won't be voting for a party that let this community down. My fear is another vote is called and he abstains as someone else did...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭gibbon6

Taltos wrote: »
    I've no idea if he is or not. However he is FG and we saw how they all voted. Remember one party - no room for dissenters... On that alone I won't be voting for a party that let this community down. My fear is another vote is called and he abstains as someone else did...

Are you referring to Eleanor Roache? I recall that she abstained from that faithful vote on the material variation to the county development plan which effectively gifted our foreshore to Sisks?
    Politicians who abstain from votes are treaterous and worse than useless. If they can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Agreed - I want candidates who are here for us, not for their parties or opportunities in the EU or for photo ops in puddles or similar.

The older I get the more radical I find my view of our politics is becoming. In the 80s the nods and winks about the big H and his helicopter were humerous, but now - 30 years later I want to see real action and true accountability. Just hope we don't go the route of the US, there was a great piece on the Daily Show a while back about some local elections being "encouraged" by a firm, here I would hope we would prosecute anyone trying such malarky, though when a candidate's coup de grace is a puddle of water on a known flood area you have to hang your head in shame and ask is karma really that much of a b and what the hell did I do in my last life to deserve this.

Taltos wrote: »
    Agreed - I want candidates who are here for us, not for their parties or opportunities in the EU or for photo ops in puddles or similar.

The older I get the more radical I find my view of our politics is becoming. In the 80s the nods and winks about the big H and his helicopter were humerous, but now - 30 years later I want to see real action and true accountability. Just hope we don't go the route of the US, there was a great piece on the Daily Show a while back about some local elections being "encouraged" by a firm, here I would hope we would prosecute anyone trying such malarky, though when a candidate's coup de grace is a puddle of water on a known flood area you have to hang your head in shame and ask is karma really that much of a b and what the hell did I do in my last life to deserve this.

We all know that the man in the puddle is one of the Fine Gael politicians who continually vote for the private interest over the PUBLIC interest. Grainne McLaughlin gave the impression that she was supportive of the Community Plan but then abstained just like the treaterous Eleanor Roche did . She too is one of the standing in a puddle brigade!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Jimjay wrote: »

Thanks.
    Hmm.. lots of "seems", "aparently's" "I hearing".

C'mon David - its plain as day and well you know it.

WCC have not delivered or acted on behalf of the community (and neither of GTC who have failed utterly) and Sisk being a private entity have no interest other than their bottom line and without sanction will continue to do nothing.

• Advertisement

legrand wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Hmm.. lots of "seems", "aparently's" "I hearing".

C'mon David - its plain as day and well you know it.

WCC have not delivered or acted on behalf of the community (and neither of GTC who have failed utterly) and Sisk being a private entity have no interest other than their bottom line and without sanction will continue to do nothing.

David O'Reilly must ensure that he is not under the whip of Jones and Mitchell. He must condemn the failure of Sisks to comply with their contractual obligations on the Greystones Harbour and North Beach PPP and he must unconditionally support the Community Plan. To do otherwise would reveal that he is just another blueshirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

legrand wrote: »
    Says David O'Reilly a new FG candidate running for May local elections.

So this is not a post to ridicule the man - I have seen him in action as it were - really nice chap from what I can determine.

However, if you have read his missive posted through your letter boxes recently you will notice a glaring ommision.

No mention, not one word, or scintilla even, about the harbour.

Sorry David - for me (at any rate) the harbour is the #1 issue. No vote from me.
    You mean the news letter he left hanging out of my letter box for any passers by to see that we were out for the day, despite the notice on the letter box.

If he or his cabal can't read or choose to ignore the wishes of a constituent, then he can f right off, regardless of his party allegiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Eponymous wrote: »
    You mean the news letter he left hanging out of my letter box for any passers by to see that we were out for the day, despite the notice on the letter box.

If he or his cabal can't read or choose to ignore the wishes of a constituent, then he can f right off, regardless of his party allegiences.

Overheard two of the ladies delivering those, after being given out to by a neighbour, "sure, they told us to put them in no matter what it said about junk mail".

Nice to know the constituents are respected...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I think D O'Reilly running as a candidate, and if elected, will be a loss to the Tidy Towns' committee. He gets things done in there, he just won't be able to get things done with Fine Gael unfortunately.

FWIW worth, and I echo other comments made, if any candidate is party-affiliated that has not worked in favour of the public in recent months will not be getting my vote. The independents would more than likely get it. I had a canvasser for Jennifer Whitmore call to my door, and the question to me wasn't who would I be voting for, but what are my concerns locally. O'Reilly might be listening to us, but I reckon he may not have a voice if he gets in. Whitmore on the other hand will have a voice for us. And if I look at it on paper, she has great support from Donnelly (who BTW in recent weeks is playing a blinder in the Dáil).

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

So is it going to be all independents who will get elected in the May local elections? Would that be a good thing I wonder. Be interested to hear the thoughts of those who will vote.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    I think D O'Reilly running as a candidate, and if elected, will be a loss to the Tidy Towns' committee. He gets things done in there, he just won't be able to get things done with Fine Gael unfortunately.

FWIW worth, and I echo other comments made, if any candidate is party-affiliated that has not worked in favour of the public in recent months will not be getting my vote. The independents would more than likely get it. I had a canvasser for Jennifer Whitmore call to my door, and the question to me wasn't who would I be voting for, but what are my concerns locally. O'Reilly might be listening to us, but I reckon he may not have a voice if he gets in. Whitmore on the other hand will have a voice for us. And if I look at it on paper, she has great support from Donnelly (who BTW in recent weeks is playing a blinder in the Dáil).
    Fine Gael always use the whip to make their councillors tow the party line. Grainne McLaughlin one minute was strongly on favour of the Comminity Plan until George Jones and that mean who stands in puddles, Dereki Mitchell, cracked the whip and she made sure the Community Plan Wes's defeated.

astrofluff wrote: »

Fine Gael always use the whip to make their councillors tow the party line. Grainne McLaughlin one minute was strongly on favour of the Comminity Plan until George Jones and that mean who stands in puddles, Dereki Mitchell, cracked the whip and she made sure the Community Plan Wes's defeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

JanneG wrote: »
    Overheard two of the ladies delivering those, after being given out to by a neighbour, "sure, they told us to put them in no matter what it said about junk mail".

Nice to know the constituents are respected...
    How counterproductive is that as a policy?:eek:
    Way to flat out lose a vote surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Ron DMC has just stickied this thread in the Dublin County South forum, here

Would this thread be better replaced with one like Ron DMC's?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

RosieJoe wrote: »

Yes, it will be up later this evening. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

RosieJoe wrote: »

I prefer my thread title thanks! ;) But rather than clutter up the forum, I'm happy for a title change to encourage important things be discussed as well as the pathetic photo ops!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

LEIN wrote: »
    Yes, it will be up later this evening. :)

You should probably do one for Wicklow as well maybe.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Politician-bashing is not permitted. Knock it off.

tHB

Advertisement