Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Visa New York

Options
  • 25-02-2014 3:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi

I came over on the graduate visa at the start of the year. I've been staying in connecticut ever since but applying for jobs in NY. I've got a part time internship with Tribeca film institute in manhattan and an interview for another internship this week.

Just wondering if there are any other people in NY on the graduate visa? I'll be looking for an apartment so it would be good to connect with people in similar situations or even to just discuss getting around the ridiculousness of CIEE's DS 70002 form etc!

Reply here or send me a pm or whatever if anyone is interested in meeting up or something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Segg

Hey I'm on the graduate visa too, I've been in New York for about 5 months now. It's pretty tough getting a job that relates to your degree and is 32 hours or more a week but it's definitely doable.

If I was you, I'd take the part time internship (which sounds great btw) and while you're working there, apply for full time paid jobs or internships. I tried for the first 4 months to get a full time paid job or internship and I had a lot of false starts. I really regretted not taking an unpaid internship straight away when I got here and using that experience to get a job first. I've eventually gotten a full time paid internship approved by CIEE (they take a full month to approve it, before you can start).

Also I'd recommend getting a bar job on the side if you're only working part time. A lot of Irish people just work in bars for the full year they're here and as long as you don't tell CIEE, they don't care. Also I wouldn't worry about CIEE, as long as you have money to support yourself, they'll give you probably 2 months of an extension to your initial 3 months and then want proof of a job or a letter from a guarantor.

My apartment is full so I can't offer you a room or anything but if you need help or advice or want to discuss anything else just send me a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sgaffney

Thanks for the info.

Ya I've started the internship. i'm actually gonna send the ds 7002 form to CIEE. I was going to just ignore them but persevered with the form and I'll send it off this weekend. The amount of detail they need is ridiculous and the fact that you are not meant to start until you have sent it to them is equally ridiculous but it'll keep them off my back for a few months.

Advertisement