Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael Dunlop agrees deal to ride BMW on roads

• 25-02-2014 6:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

Only copped this now, I wouldn't take a year off either if I had BMW behind me!

Link

T3kYKSH.jpg

Michael Dunlop has agreed a deal to ride a factory-backed BMW Superbike at this year's international road races.

The Ballymoney rider will also campaign a BMW Superstock bike with support from his own MD Racing Team sponsors.

Dunlop had indicated at the end of last year that he was considering taking a year out from the sport but says this deal offers him the package he wants.

As well as competing at the North West 200, Isle of Man TT and Ulster Grand Prix, he may race some short circuits.

The road race star failed to a agree a fresh arrangement with Honda for 2014, despite taking four TT wins in the Japanese manufacturer's colours last year.

Those victories brought the Northern Ireland rider's overall tally of wins to seven on the Mountain Course.

He also has two North West 200 successes and six Ulster Grand Prix victories on his CV.

The deal has the support of BMW Motorrad in Germany and BMW UK and will also involve the participation of the Buildbase Racing team.

"BMW approached me in the last couple of weeks and they have given me the tools which I believe can do the job," said the 24-year-old.

"The bike will be fantastic - it will be built for me and I'll be the only rider in the team, so I'm really excited about it.

"I've got the full support of the factory and anything I want will be available to me.

"We'll do the international events and then see after that, but I'd like to do a couple of other events to see if I can race short circuits.

"There's a lot of work ahead and we'll need to put in a lot of testing but I have full faith that we can win international road races. I know we potentially have a winning package.

"My love for the sport and my hunger and desire are still there."

The 2014 TT is a special event for BMW as it commemorates their first TT win which took place 75 years ago in 1939, by German racer George Meier.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The way Michael Dunlop dominated the TT last year proved he has the same talent as his late Uncle Joey. If the bike is right for Michael this summer he'll be the man to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

As if he was not fast enough....would love to see Derek Shiels get some money to challenge Micky D, the lad is very fast. Good for road racing in general....bring on the new season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

That bike looks quite simply awesome.
    Good job Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    As if he was not fast enough....would love to see Derek Shiels get some money to challenge Micky D, the lad is very fast. Good for road racing in general....bring on the new season!

Yes Derek Shiels is a great talent ,. he needs the right bike to demonstrate just how good he really is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

robinwing wrote: »
    Yes Derek Shiels is a great talent ,. he needs the right bike to demonstrate just how good he really is

Dunlop would never have beaten the record in skerries if it was not for Derek Sheila pushing him all the way, sure it took him 3-4 laps iirc to catch him....

• Advertisement
Advertisement