Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewing license

Options
  • 25-02-2014 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Well lads, have any of yee got yeer licenses renewed up in the hyper lately? Just wondering what the cues are like, hearing there fairly bad in some places!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You mean the NDLS at Lisduggan?

Passed by it a few times lately, seen 5/6 people in there maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have been in twice recently and have to go again. Fortunately for my blood pressure there were no queues.

I was getting a replacement license, mine went missing, it will probably turn up when I have this rigmarole done.

I read the website, you cannot download forms you have to get them from the garda station or the NDLS.

Went to Garda station, 'ah no, its a new system, you do it on line'.

Me - no it specifically says you cannot do it on line, have to get a form from here.

Garda (polite and patient but no idea) Pursues the 'its a new system' argument for a while. I tell him I have been on website and I need a form from the Garda station. Eventually 'We only have these, pulls out a duplicated (old) form'.

Me, No, it has to be a printed form, not a duplicated one.

Garda - flummoxed.

Me, I will go into town and get one from the NDLS, I will be back (to get it signed)

Go to NDLS - counter person sees me coming with no form and opens his mouth to say I need a form. I know, I say, but the Garda station don't know anything about them. Pointless 'they should have them' 'but they don't' conversation. He gives me a form. You need to get a report from your GP (for specific condition).

Go to GP, I need a report to say I am fit to drive.

GP Do you have a form?

Me: I only have this form which is what I was given, no sign of a doctor's report on it.

GP writes note saying I am fit to drive

Go to Garda station, get form stamped

Go back to NDLS 'you need a form filled in by a doctor'.

Me What form, you didn't give me one

Counter person: You download one. He gives me a form

Go back to GP with original note and form, can I get this information put on this form?

Secretary - you will have to have an appointment for an examination.

Me, gives up. OK. I have an appointment for next week. Eventually I will get a new licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

looksee wrote: »
    I have been in twice recently and have to go again. Fortunately for my blood pressure there were no queues.

I was getting a replacement license, mine went missing, it will probably turn up when I have this rigmarole done.

I read the website, you cannot download forms you have to get them from the garda station or the NDLS.

Went to Garda station, 'ah no, its a new system, you do it on line'.

Me - no it specifically says you cannot do it on line, have to get a form from here.

Garda (polite and patient but no idea) Pursues the 'its a new system' argument for a while. I tell him I have been on website and I need a form from the Garda station. Eventually 'We only have these, pulls out a duplicated (old) form'.

Me, No, it has to be a printed form, not a duplicated one.

Garda - flummoxed.

Me, I will go into town and get one from the NDLS, I will be back (to get it signed)

Go to NDLS - counter person sees me coming with no form and opens his mouth to say I need a form. I know, I say, but the Garda station don't know anything about them. Pointless 'they should have them' 'but they don't' conversation. He gives me a form. You need to get a report from your GP (for specific condition).

Go to GP, I need a report to say I am fit to drive.

GP Do you have a form?

Me: I only have this form which is what I was given, no sign of a doctor's report on it.

GP writes note saying I am fit to drive

Go to Garda station, get form stamped

Go back to NDLS 'you need a form filled in by a doctor'.

Me What form, you didn't give me one

Counter person: You download one. He gives me a form

Go back to GP with original note and form, can I get this information put on this form?

Secretary - you will have to have an appointment for an examination.

Me, gives up. OK. I have an appointment for next week. Eventually I will get a new licence.

Nice, great opening, kept me on the hook, a few little jokes in there ( not to loose me ) and a decent ending....8/10. I look forward to your next piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

What a farce, my licence got lost between the change over, took months, thankfully this back when you took your own pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

Went to renew mine second week in Feb was told would take 6 weeks or so for it to issue and be posted. Got it back within a week and half had no problems apart from the form I had got in post I had filled in with blue pen and needs to be black pen.

Was expecting long delays in the place in Lisduggan was 4/5 ahead of me and was no more than 35 mins in total in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You can download the form. You don't need to to the Garda Station to get the form signed, unless you lost/destroyed the last licence. The Garda Stations probably don't have the forms, and anytime they do they're gone quick and are waiting ages for more.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can download the form. You don't need to to the Garda Station to get the form signed, unless you lost/destroyed the last licence. The Garda Stations probably don't have the forms, and anytime they do they're gone quick and are waiting ages for more.

Link

I was in fact replacing a lost license. I agree you can download, my misunderstanding was due to misinformation at an earlier stage. Still, it should be possible to get forms at other than the NDLS, especially in towns away from the NDLS centres. If the Guards can't cope, have them in libraries or post offices.

I got the form in the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Thanks for the replies, I haven't heard much good things about the place .
    Where is lisduggan?

Behind the wit, before the entrance to the industrial estate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bump for this - I need to get mine renewed, I'm planning on going down without booking ahead as I'd like to get this done tomorrow - first how are queues and second I take it they accept CC/DC payment?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Bump for this - I need to get mine renewed, I'm planning on going down without booking ahead as I'd like to get this done tomorrow - first how are queues and second I take it they accept CC/DC payment?

Cheers

I got mine replaced 2 weeks ago. I went around 2 o clock and there was no one there. Yes they do accept CC/DD. I found them very helpful. I had my Licence back within a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just was in there - two others already at the hatches and me.

Advertisement