Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HFT, FT

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Has hasn't been online in 8 years, and as the sport he is proposing is target shooting outside an authorised range i'd imagine it never made it off the ground.

SI 622/2011 outlines what is required to build and run a range. What that shooting does would not conform to any acceptable range standard.

Could be wrong now, but i've never even heard of the discipline being discussed let alone shot. Pity too as it looks like fun.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

Cass wrote: »
    Has hasn't been online in 8 years, and as the sport he is proposing is target shooting outside an authorised range i'd imagine it never made it off the ground.

SI 622/2011 outlines what is required to build and run a range. What that shooting does would not conform to any acceptable range standard.

Could be wrong now, but i've never even heard of the discipline being discussed let alone shot. Pity too as it looks like fun.

Thanks for the reply Cass. It's a potty as it does look like great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's done north of the border quite a bit AFAIK, but it never took off down here, probably because our laws then and now do not encourage people to go for smaller calibres or airguns - if it's the same licence for a .177 single shot air rifle as for a .308, most people seem to think they might as well get the .308 instead of picking the best firearm for the job in hand (no, I don't quite understand why either).

And as Cass said, starting it up down here now would be a right pain, unless you got airguns off the definition of firearm. A fixed firing line, fixed target line range is hard enough that at least three have either failed to get going or been scuppered by planning permission in the last couple of years (and it's not like we get people trying to start ranges every other week). A field target range, where the firing positions, target positions and so forth are all variable, would be a nightmare to push through the current legislation. You'd potentially have to have the firearms range inspector come out and inspect the place every week before you went shooting. Your only hope would be to deregulate airguns so that the 4A range licence wasn't necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Many of the modern innovations - mostly British, it has to be said - in the design and development of airguns has been because of the popularity of this great leisure shooting sport, now almost worldwide. The Americans have taken to it like crazy, too, and do very well in the world-class competitions shot.

With suitable airguns in the UK limited to 12ft lbs, the sport is a genuine test of skill for shooters at all levels and ages. Two distinct classes, PCP and springers - mean that only the best of the best in each class will win, and comps are hard-fought-over. The great thing about it is that anybody can take part, no matter what level of skill they bring to the venue, and shoot what they brung.

I'm certain that Irish shooters from the RoI, well-used to outdoor shooting in all kinds of weather, would do well if they ever got the chance. No competition stops for rain!

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

• Advertisement
Advertisement