Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zumba class keep on texting

Options
  • 25-02-2014 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for advice - I attended a zumba class once and gave my details to be alerted to classes coming up etc. After receiving a few texts and no longer having any interest in it, I asked for my details to be removed. I then received 2 more texts so asked again. Then more texts to I called the "owner" as such. He apologized and said it would be removed.
    Another text - I replied and told him to remove or I would take further, he replied and was quite rude. I let that go on the hope it was the last I would ear from them
    This morning - another text.
    Question - how can I take this further? I don't think ComReg can get involved as this guy is not a registered business I'd imagine. Any advice??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

block the number. Very easy to do with modern day smart phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Simple yet effective! Thank you, don't know why I didn't think of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've had this happen from a few company's

A response telling them that I would be reporting them to the data protection commissinor for miss-use of my personal information quickly gets them to stop and apologise.

If you think he's not a "legit" business then perhaps making revenue aware of them might be no harm either, just to make sure he is also tax compliant.

I've blocked the number and have sent an email to Data Commissioners. Worst part is, I already warned them I would do this and they still persist. I really think this guy is not very smart.
    Reason I didn't go back to the class was they spent 20 mins after class pushing some miracle diet shake and giving us samples. Oh and if we introduce 2 friends to the diet and get them to buy it, we would be free. Pyramid anyone??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Phars

Body of V, multi level marketing is how they call it these days, of course he keeps texting, his sale tatrgets are very high. He just uses his Zumba contacts for the brain wash session.....I hope the Data protection solves your ptoblen!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hanalei

Reply with the word "STOP" and that should be the end of it. Open to correction here but I think they are legally bound to remove you from their list once you do that.

Phars wrote: »
    Body of V, multi level marketing is how they call it these days, of course he keeps texting, his sale tatrgets are very high. He just uses his Zumba contacts for the brain wash session.....I hope the Data protection solves your ptoblen!!!!

That was the bloody thing they were pushing!!! It was actually scary, the sales pitch was cringe worthy. They were handing out shake samples, I told them I thought it was horrible and they nearly jumped me!!
    For a Zumba class, I have never seen such an out of shape bunch of "instructors" in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hanalei wrote: »
    Reply with the word "STOP" and that should be the end of it. Open to correction here but I think they are legally bound to remove you from their list once you do that.

I'm pretty sure that's how the larger companies work their opt out process, as the 'STOP' works as an instruction to automatically remove your number on their system.
    In this instance, informing the sender is enough and they should manually remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

The Data Protection Commissioner should be able to resolve this for you. Just make sure you keep a record of any communication - it'll make it easier for them to follow up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Phars

The likes like Avon and Tupperware are Multi Level Marketing companies but they are not too pushy, I was invited to a Body of V meeting so I decided to educate myself before taking up the invitation. Its very American and they are extremely agressieve in their sales technique. If you meet a certain target you can get a car, the car is leased on your name, theynpay the monthly lease and the moment you don't meet the target you are stuck paying for that lease. The shakes are tested by several independent companies and the nutritional facts are quiet scary, they even say its damaging long term. The 90 day challenge is fairly long term to survive on shakes.
    As the zumba teacher probably use his own mobile phone to text, just the word STOP might no do the trick. Probably your number is put in a web text group and it might be hard to locate your number. So data protection might be a solution, I hope they take it up.
    And you are lucky you just gotten away with annoying texts, at least you are not poisoning yourself with some weird chemical shakes and you don't have to worry about making a nuisance of yourself to family, friends and neighbours as you don't have to meet any sales and recruit targets :-)

Advertisement