Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive thru coffee

Options
  • 25-02-2014 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Why is there no drive thru coffee establishments in Dublin?

I would really find it handy... thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would imagine they would not get planning for it unless they could provide adequate space for cars to queue. Queuing on the public road for coffee during rush hour would cause traffic chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

How much easier or quicker would it be compared to running in a grabbing one. The set up cost versus the increased revenue stream would just not add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sonic2

some mornings its cold and im late for work.. i just need a coffee, i really dislike the effort and quality of petrol station coffee..

maybe its a planning thing as they are all over america.. would it really be that not worthwhile.. must not be as there are none.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is a planning thing on a massive scale. (some) American cities are designed around the motor car and all the planning is focused on getting people from A to B in the car. They have lots of land over there and wide open spaces which along with being the wealthiest country on Earth allows them to use land in an inefficient manner. Dublin on the other hand predates the motor car. Planning focus has been anti car and space is at a premium in the city centre therefore we do not have the space for drive through coffee, ATMs etc etc. The few exceptions seem to be fast food places which use non public roads for queuing during peak times.

yeah id say the massive investment and planning would be the problem..

am i on my own in thinking there is a market for this service though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can't see how it takes any length of time to pop in somewhere for a coffee as opposed to sitting in the car waiting for it. Then again I would either allow time to buy a coffee or just do without if I was running so late. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

McDonalds

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Dublin City forum - apologies mods, please move if this is best suited somewhere else.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Sonic2 wrote: »
    some mornings its cold and im late for work.. i just need a coffee, i really dislike the effort and quality of petrol station coffee..

maybe its a planning thing as they are all over america.. would it really be that not worthwhile.. must not be as there are none.

Would you not just make your own coffee and bring it with you in one of those mugs with a lid on, or would that mean you would have to get out of bed a whole three minutes earlier :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

yeah id say the massive investment and planning would be the problem..

am i on my own in thinking there is a market for this service though?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

All the McD's/BK/KFC drive-ins sell coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Plus the mcd coffee is nice

the point i was trying to make is the coffee is not great out of garages/mcds etc..

i know i would stop at lets say a drive thru insomnia etc especially if i was late and knew id be in traffic..

like everything would have to be location dependent.. surprised not more agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

Plus the mcd coffee is nice

And cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

the point i was trying to make is the coffee is not great out of garages/mcds etc..

The coffee from the McCafes is surprisingly quite decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

i know i would stop at lets say a drive thru insomnia etc especially if i was late and knew id be in traffic..

like everything would have to be location dependent.. surprised not more agree

I agree it would be handy, yes. However would it be a viable business in Ireland, no.

This works, as do a lot of other business ideas, in the states as has been said before due to the amount of land they have. Land is cheap over there so to have a donut and coffee shop that takes up a 10-20000 square feet is easy as your overheads in terms of rent etc wouldn't be to high.
    There's no way of having a coffee shop with that amount of land (which would be required for queuing etc) anywhere in Dublin (including suburbs) and making it a viable business unless your charging €10 for a coffee...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The coffee from the McCafes is surprisingly quite decent.

Snobs 'tend to overlook McD's coffee.. One of my first choices for a coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Snobs 'tend to overlook McD's coffee.. One of my first choices for a coffee.

I know. I feel like I'm letting down the coffee snob side!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Many people have mentioned "planning" as a reason. I wonder what they mean by that term, because as far as I can see there would be no planning impediment to building a drive thru cafe. Just look at McDonald's...

I'd say it's a market thing tbh. We don't have coffee chain penetration as much as in the US, so it would be seen as a risky bet by any of the big chains. In addition, it seems as though most new cafes are opening up in urban areas with little space. Suburban cafes with lots of land around them just aren't the norm here.

im sure it could work in certain spots.. just not as local as id like :(

building a secure structure buying land etc now i think maybe its not such a great idea!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Irish Times got a coffee expert to review all coffee for sale in Dublin City and Im pretty sure McDonalds was the best. I think McDonalds coffee is too hot and I can barely drink it for the first 30 mins. But it is constant and I have never had a ****ty McDonalds coffee. I have had my fair share of coffees so undrinkable from Starbucks and Insonmina that I have asked for them to remake it.

McDonalds is destroying Starbucks in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Mc d's coffee is alot nicer then insomnia/starbucks and I would be a coffee snob.
    You want drive thru coffee there is your answer.
    Id say the start up costs on building a drive thru anything is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

McD's coffee is pretty decent, especially for the money.

The big problem with this in a city centre would be managing the traffic queues. I can't see it happening in the city centre. It's feasible in further out locations (like McD's existing locations) where there is more space. When working in the US, I'll often try to stop for a coffee at a Starbucks drive-through in the morning, and the queues can be mental at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

The reason there is no drivethru is simply that you could not sell enough coffee to stay in business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Petrol station coffee is a joke and should not cost more than 20cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Petrol station coffee is a joke and should not cost more than 20cent.

What about mcdonalds coffee ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

There's no drivethrough anything in the city centre. Suppose you need a bigger premises to have a drivethru and that space would be to valuable to use as a driveway up to a window.
    But +1 on mcdonalds coffee, I get it the odd day from the drive thru on the naas road and it's fairly nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I don't get the lack of coffee drive thru's here either. McDonalds and Burger King have them and they can make them work, with parking and space for cars queuing and what not? Why can't the likes of Starbucks do the same? Most Starbucks in the US have a drive thru facility as well as a regular walk in cafe and, they work just fine.

Not everyone wants to sit for hours over a cup of coffee, or use the free wifi, or enjoy the "experience" in comfy sofas or whatever. They just want to get their shot of java juice and get the heck outa there. Being able to do it from the comfort of your car is sooooooo much easier. You don't have to find a parking space, gather up all your stuff, unbuckle the kids, trek in the rain to a premises, stand in a queue for years and then carry all your stuff back out to your car. Surely, having a drive thru to facilitate those people would be good for business?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If you managed to assure planners you have enough space leased or bought to accommodate large queues of cars without affecting the normal traffic (nobody queuing/blocking on road to get in) it might be doable. However your customers will have to be happy to pay over €10 per coffee to cover that sort of city rent, the convertion and initial layout on building, city rates, staff etc...

Out of interest, what cities have these in the states?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

John_Rambo wrote: »
    If you managed to assure planners you have enough space leased or bought to accommodate large queues of cars without affecting the normal traffic (nobody queuing/blocking on road to get in) it might be doable. However your customers will have to be happy to pay over €10 per coffee to cover that sort of city rent, the convertion and initial layout on building, city rates, staff etc...

Out of interest, what cities have these in the states?

Disagree. McDonalds don't charge anymore for a drive thru Big Mac, than if you walked in and bought one at the counter. Why shouldn't Starbucks be able to do that too? Nor do they have to charge exorbitant rates for their products, just because they have a drive thru. I know that Starbucks coffee drinks are not cheap, but Dunkin Donuts operate drive thrus in their US outlets too. Their food and drink items are a lot cheaper than Starbucks ones are, yet they are still a very, very profitable company.

I used to live in the US and every single city I lived in or visited has a multitude of drive thrus. You don't find them in city centre locations where the shops and restaurants would be in a row, with little access for cars, but there are loads of them out in the suburbs, where there is more space. I don't really see how having a drive thru would lead to excessively higher rates, or rents, or staff costs, or conversion costs. The increased business from the drive thru traffic would pay for them.

A coffee drive thru wouldn't even need the extra parking spaces that the likes of McDonalds have...you know, the parking bays that they make you wait in if there is a delay in making your order and, they don't want you holding up the queue. The likes of Starbucks don't need that extra space, as making coffee drinks is a lot less complicated and can be done quicker, than serving food.

Advertisement