Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capybaras in Ireland

• 25-02-2014 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

Slightly strange request, but I've some friends coming to visit next week and one is a bit obsessed with these fellas. I thought it would be fun if we could go somewhere she could see some, possibly even interact with them? Would they have any in Dublin Zoo or Foto Island? Or are there any other places that may have them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Not sure about Dublin Zoo but Fota definitely had them (up until last summer anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They have them at Belfast Zoo too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Going back 15yrs they used to have them wandering around Dublin Zoo freely but that isn't allowed anymore. Last time I was there (4 years ago), there were I think just three of them in their own enclosure.

None in Dublin zoo but they have them in Fota

http://www.fotawildlife.ie/animals-plants/view/capybara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Last time we went to fota my daughter shared her lunch with one and a peacock, capybara had baby spinach and other salad greens, peacock stole her potato salad while she was feeding the capybara. (By leaving leaves on the ground and backing up a few steps)
    They were all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

Dont think they do in Dublin, but loads in Fota, I love them :)

Advertisement