Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The extra madness of GW31

• 25-02-2014 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭

While GW29 is all about scraping to field a team, the weeks following will be focused on GW31. Seems to be tough to keep track of the DGW's and it could be a make or break week for some people with City, United, Hull and West Ham all guaranteed doubles. Planning should really start now, the more info you have before the weekend the better.

Confirmed DGW matches in GW31
    Manchester United Vs Manchester City
    West Ham Vs Hull City
    Liverpool Vs Sunderland

Games that could be played in GW31
    Everton Vs Crystal Palace (doubtful)
    Arsenal Vs Swansea (possible)
    Newcastle Vs Everton (likely)

Arsenal I have no idea about. There's nothing stopping them playing it in GW31.

There's some great analysis here which discusses the above in a lot more detail, and discussed the permutations for GW34 and GW37. I would assume the focus will be on Liverpool, Everton and City for these.

Bring on the madness!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Liverpool v Sunderland is going ahead in GW31. Announced by Premier League a few moments ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

That was unexpected. Will edit the initial post.

I wonder if that means Everton v Newcastle goes ahead?

Not great news tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Liverpool v Sunderland is going ahead in GW31. Announced by Premier League a few moments ago.
    Reduces Mannone's (immediate) appeal since his first DGW is Norwich A and Liverpool A. Means that Liverpool have a very appealing DGW of Cardiff A and Sunderland H; I'll have to get Studge in now....

I'm looking at Gerrard, Henderson or Sterling for the DGW. 3 Liverpool players a must imo

roryc wrote: »
    I'm looking at Gerrard, Henderson or Sterling for the DGW. 3 Liverpool players a must imo

+1. 3 attacking Liverpool players is a must. They have no other competitions to play in and are completely focused on the League.

• Advertisement

From another forum:
    Yes, Liverpool v Sunderland will be LIVE on Sky Sports on the above date.

Unless Hull v Sunderland in the FA Cup ends in a draw, so their replay will be on the above date, therefore the said league game will be cancelled for a second time and rearranged for another date.
    I doubt this is true though; they could have the replay on Monday 17 March as precedented by yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

So glad I have my WC! Currently have 2FTs to navigate the next couple of blanks then fire up the wildcard to load up on GW31 prospects! Could be a season defining few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

jimmii wrote: »
    So glad I have my WC! Currently have 2FTs to navigate the next couple of blanks then fire up the wildcard to load up on GW31 prospects! Could be a season defining few weeks.

Well done for your patience on keeping it so long. Puts you in a very sweet position for the doubles and in the run up to season end.

Planning for this is a nightmare. I'm doing my two free transfers this week to get rid of Yaya and Zab, and then worrying about it once the fixtures are set in stone. Times like this I was I was a casual player.

Well done for your patience on keeping it so long. Puts you in a very sweet position for the doubles and in the run up to season end.

Sure does before last season I had never managed it! Having said that I was top 900 when I fired up the WC around the same time last season and then going into GW38 I needed a decent green arrow to secure a top 10k finish so it doesn't always work out well!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Wonder when the FPL site will update to show this, as not yet showing Liverpool v Sunderland. Only shows 12 fixtures so far.

Could be a massive points haul, without deductions, especially if playing a reduced side in GW29.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Anybody if Aguero is likely to be fit for GW31? My transfers this week are dependent upon his potential return.

qwabercd wrote: »
    Anybody if Aguero is likely to be fit for GW31? My transfers this week are dependent upon his potential return.

Unless he has a set back in training its practically certain. I would imagine we will see him get 90 minutes somewhere before then too.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9182459/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Aguero is key for me. If he looks like playing and all goes well I hope to have a Suarez, Sturridge and Aguero front line that week.
    But Suarez's position in my team in very much under review. Last chance saloon Luis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭G1032

If Arsenal do have their DGW in Week 31 I might hold off on Kompany and stick with Kos for that week. Need to have a proper look at this tonight.

Looks like I'm going to have to decide between Nolan and Aguero for this GW. Cant afford both.

Terry and Ince in this week. Evra in next week. Aguero in the following week. Would give me seven for the DGW, although I would likely take a 4 point hit to get Nolan in for Lallana. Hopefully Everton Vs Palace also goes ahead and I would have 11 DGW'ers :)

Would mean resting Terry, Azpil and possibly Hazard who are up against Arsenal, although I would likely play one of them over Colback. Terry out at a hit for Kompany is also an option.

29qjrl2.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Holy Sh*t..........I didn't see this coming so soon!

Bit of a disaster I terms of having the edge over people that aren't planning as much! Trying not to say the C word :P Casuals ;)

Anyone thinking of Jelavic for the DGW... from the little I've seen of him, he could be a nice differential that scores as well as other strikers, but allows a really strong MF for the DGW.
    Maybe I'm reading a bit into the last game a bit too much but I really like seeing a striking partnership playing together like himself and Long.

Thinking it will be Sturridge and RVP up front with him. A RVP to Suarez move is definitely on the cards though, if I have a decent GW 28 - 30 I may need to get a bit safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

PARlance wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of Jelavic for the DGW... from the little I've seen of him, he could be a nice differential that scores as well as other strikers.
    Maybe I'm reading a bit into the last game a bit too much but I really like seeing a striking partnership playing together like himself and Long.

Thinking it will be Sturridge and RVP up front with him. A RVP to Suarez move is definitely on the cards though, if I have a decent GW 28 - 30 I may need to get a bit safer.
    He isn't a bad option at all when you just consider him on his own merits. But with Suarez, Sturridge, Rooney, Van Persie, Aguero and Negredo all having DGWs too, I couldn't consider him, I'll be figuring out my best possible combination from those 6, and to be honest I'm not sure I'll have huge difficulty in doing so.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    He isn't a bad option at all when you just consider him on his own merits. But with Suarez, Sturridge, Rooney, Van Persie, Aguero and Negredo all having DGWs too, I couldn't consider him, I'll be figuring out my best possible combination from those 6, and to be honest I'm not sure I'll have huge difficulty in doing so.

I was just editing my post as you posted.

Jelavic isn't Option 1,2,3.... at present but I'm still looking for differentials and while I don't think he would outscore many of the big guns, he mightn't be too far off (Relatively decent fixtures for Hull for the DGW).

Where it might pay off is in the 5-6m that might be invested in MF for the DGW.

Anyway, just a thought, you lads up the leaderboard don't need these differentials/gambles.

Terry and Ince in this week. Evra in next week. Aguero in the following week. Would give me seven for the DGW, although I would likely take a 4 point hit to get Nolan in for Lallana. Hopefully Everton Vs Palace also goes ahead and I would have 11 DGW'ers :)

Would mean resting Terry, Azpil and possibly Hazard who are up against Arsenal, although I would likely play one of them over Colback. Terry out at a hit for Kompany is also an option.

29qjrl2.png

No Yaya?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

The games are added for GW31 now on the fpl website.

G1032 wrote: »
    No Yaya?

It's either Yaya or Aguero.

Still no news on Everton Vs Palace? Makes a massive difference for me.

I think I'll try to get them both but I'll be selling Lallana for Yaya.

I'm not willing to dump Suarez or Sturridge when they have a DGW. And it would be tough to afford all three of them, Aguero and Yaya

I think it will depend on if Arsenal v Everton goes to a replay. That would need to be played March 25/26 since Tottenham v Arsenal is Sunday the 16th ruling out Monday the 17th for a replay.

I think it will depend on if Arsenal v Everton goes to a replay. That would need to be played March 25/26 since Tottenham v Arsenal is Sunday the 16th ruling out Monday the 17th for a replay.

Cheers, good point. So if either team win the Everton Vs Palace game goes ahead?

I am waiting to hear back about a potential job today or tomorrow.... lets just say I am way more concerned with my front three and stockpiling for GW31 than I should be today.

Can just imagine how it'll go down when I get home:
    Missus: "Well.... any news?"
    Me: Ah complete disaster, not the news I was looking for at all... Liverpool Sunderland reshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttteeeeeee..... no, no news on the job front yet darling. Hopefully I'll hear back tomorrow (will the Everton game be included in GW31)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

PARlance wrote: »
    I am waiting to hear back about a potential job today or tomorrow.... lets just say I am way more concerned with my front three and stockpiling for GW31 than I should be today.

Oh well this is awkward, did nobody give you the memo yesterday? The position has already been filled :pac:

So
    Week 28
    Out - RVP, Silva
    In - Ade, Ince

Week 29
    Out - Bruce
    In -Evra

Week 30
    Out - Ade
    In - Aguero

Week 31
    Out - Lallana
    In - Toure

Ade will have just a short stay but can't afford to leave RVP on the bench while Ade plays Cardiff this weekend.

Week 28 - 9 players (Bruce unlikely to play for Hull)
    Week 29 - 9 players

Week 31 - 7 DGW players (9 if Palace play)

22290bd38009e6206eee493229298be6.png

This talk of having a 10mil player on the bench doing nothing has had me thinking, and have been looking at a plan that will avoid having Yaya sitting on the bench for GW28 and 29. Will involve seeling him for an Arsenal player for GW28, Arsenal player to Mata for GW29 as I think I should have Utd cover, then back to Yaya for GW30. Based on his current value, I should be able buy him back what I sold him for assuming people continue to ditch him and he hits this drop.

Now if I can get Aguero in for GW31 as simply, and maybe a cheaper Utd player or Nolan, I'll be quite happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I think we will know by Friday.My theory on the hold up is Everton play swansea on gw 31 on the sat mar 22 and would then play palace at home on the tuesday mar 25 as it cant clash with the liverpool home game on the wednesday. However, if swansea win on thursday against napoli they will then have a europa league game the thursday mar 20 forcing the everton swansea game to switch to sun mar 23 meaning tues mar 25 is out for everton palace. Which will in turn see everton play newcastle away on the wed perhaps.

I think we will know by Friday.My theory on the hold up is Everton play swansea on gw 31 on the sat mar 22 and would then play palace at home on the tuesday mar 25 as it cant clash with the liverpool home game on the wednesday. However, if swansea win on thursday against napoli they will then have a europa league game the thursday mar 20 forcing the everton swansea game to switch to sun mar 23 meaning tues mar 25 is out for everton palace. Which will in turn see everton play newcastle away on the wed perhaps.

You're definitely the man to speak to this year about fixture congestion! Shows how ridiculous the game is... I'll now be cheering on Napoli on Thursday as it affects me having THREE extra players in GW31.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Disappear for a busy day at work and return to this madness. My team at the minute is:

Mannone Adrian
    Terry Ivan Coleman Ward Mertesacker
    Hazard Lallana Noone Yaya Mata
    Ade Suarez Sturridge

So at present, without making any transfers, I have 4 DGW players (Mannone/Adrian, Yaya, SAS). I'm only counting my keepers as 1 as I can only play one. If Everton Palace goes ahead that week I'll have six.

Planned transfers are still Yaya to Ince/Snodgrass, Mert to cheap defender (perhaps Chester).

I have a transfer banked so that leaves me with 3 free for GW30 and 31.

Will have to look at transfers and values but my ideal ones would be Ince/Snodgrass back to Yaya, Ade to Aguero and Hazard/Lallana to Gerrard.

Will just go as planned for the next two weeks and judge it all then. Will have my three transfers and can make a fourth if needed.

Yaya and Aguero are vital IMO. 9 games to every other players seven/six at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

I'm going to give Silva one more chance I think with the DGW. Getting Aguero and Sterling and maybe Kompany are further up my list of priorities than switching one City midfielder to another. I've gone this far without Yaya, I can go a little further :pac:

I am planning to have Adrian, Kompany, Silva, Mata, Sterling, Suarez, Aguero and Sturridge with doubles that week.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Disappear for a busy day at work and return to this madness. My team at the minute is:

Mannone Adrian
    Terry Ivan Coleman Ward Mertesacker
    Hazard Lallana Noone Yaya Mata
    Ade Suarez Sturridge

So at present, without making any transfers, I have 4 DGW players (Mannone/Adrian, Yaya, SAS). I'm only counting my keepers as 1 as I can only play one. If Everton Palace goes ahead that week I'll have six.

Planned transfers are still Yaya to Ince/Snodgrass, Mert to cheap defender (perhaps Chester).

I have a transfer banked so that leaves me with 3 free for GW30 and 31.

Will have to look at transfers and values but my ideal ones would be Ince/Snodgrass back to Yaya, Ade to Aguero and Hazard/Lallana to Gerrard.

Will just go as planned for the next two weeks and judge it all then. Will have my three transfers and can make a fourth if needed.

Yaya and Aguero are vital IMO. 9 games to every other players seven/six at that stage.

Just realised I have Mata as well so have five for the DGW.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

You're definitely the man to speak to this year about fixture congestion! Shows how ridiculous the game is... I'll now be cheering on Napoli on Thursday as it affects me having THREE extra players in GW31.

At the start of each season I get one of those free fixtures guides the newspapers give out which includes all domestic and european cup dates. When the CL is drawn Id fill in all games alongside league fixtures also it helps me work out when teams will miss games for Fa cup games/ carling cup etc and when these games can be possibly rearranged. I find it a great resource as I feel all games and when they are played effect player performance/ team selection etc.
    Im an old school Fantasy football manager( I write my team on the back of a cigarette box:D) Id spend more time looking at this fixture booklet each week than the likes of FFS and total FPl.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Lukaku could be an interesting differential come GW31 too or even the week before...I know I'm a genius :) Lukaku would never dare to burn anyone's dreams.

At the start of each season I get one of those free fixtures guides the newspapers give out which includes all domestic and european cup dates. When the CL is drawn Id fill in all games alongside league fixtures also it helps me work out when teams will miss games for Fa cup games/ carling cup etc and when these games can be possibly rearranged. I find it a great resource as I feel all games and when they are played effect player performance/ team selection etc.
    Im an old school Fantasy football manager( I write my team on the back of a cigarette box:D) Id spend more time looking at this fixture booklet each week than the likes of FFS and total FPl.

Think you deserve your own fixture guru thread next season...

• Advertisement

Lukaku could be an interesting differential come GW31 too or even the week before...I know I'm a genius :) Lukaku would never dare to burn anyone's dreams.

It has to be Aguero, Suarez and Sturridge up front for me.

My dream midfield and attack for that week would be:

Mata Yaya Gerrard Ince
    Aguero Suarez Sturridge

With a bit of jigging around, I reckon I might be able to afford it. Could mean getting rid of Hazard and Lallana.

If the Palace or Everton games go ahead, I'd already have a DGW back three of Ward, Chester and Coleman. Would leave me with:

Adrian
    Ward Chester Coleman
    Mata Yaya Gerrard Ince
    Aguero Suarez Sturridge

Subs: Terry/Ivan (whichever I keep), another cheap defender, Noone.

For now, I'll go ahead with my transfers as planned for the next two GWs and see how the madness is lining up.

Lemlin wrote: »
    It has to be Aguero, Suarez and Sturridge up front for me.

My dream midfield and attack for that week would be:

Mata Yaya Gerrard Ince
    Aguero Suarez Sturridge

With a bit of jigging around, I reckon I might be able to afford it. Could mean getting rid of Hazard and Lallana.

If the Palace or Everton games go ahead, I'd already have a DGW back three of Ward, Chester and Coleman. Would leave me with:

Adrian
    Ward Chester Coleman
    Mata Yaya Gerrard Ince
    Aguero Suarez Sturridge

Subs: Terry/Ivan (whichever I keep), another cheap defender, Noone.

For now, I'll go ahead with my transfers as planned for the next two GWs and see how the madness is lining up.

I'm very close to the same team plan for GW31

Would you consider keeping Hazard and getting Sterling or Henderson for Ince/Noone?

Would you consider keeping Hazard and getting Sterling or Henderson for Ince/Noone?

I don't rate either tbh. I've always wondered what the fuss is about Sterling. Not logged into the site now but is his points return not fairly brutal?

He is a woeful finisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I've found in previous seasons that Everton are always a bit of a let down come a DGW. I know its completely different matches and a different team but Im still weary about bringing them in for DGW this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Likewise. Reassuring to know I'm on the same page as you lads.

My only question remaining is whether it's worth it to sell Hazard for Gerrard at a hit.

Depends if I want him back as he's one of only two players I have big money tied up in.

I think a good topic for your debate thread next week would be 'with the double game weeks and fixtures remaining ia it time to sell Hazard? '

For me, GW 31 is just emphasising something that has been apparent in my mind but less to the forefront, all along.

Ripping up your team in prep for GW 29 is not a good idea. The likes of Yaya, Sturridge, Suarez need to stay IMO even in the weeks they don't play. My plan is to say goodbye to Gnabry, Brown and Koscielny (can't see myself needing him back until GW 34), players that are going to be less important going forward, getting in players to cover me for GW 29, while still having my babies for GW 31.

There are 7 gameweeks after GW 31 and it will be equally crucial to have a super strong team coming out of the mayhem, without having to take too many hits in the process.

For me, Yaya, Silva (a risk I know but with all the DGWs and no Champions League I hope he'll be ok), Sturridge, Suarez are going nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

also suarez sturridge guaranteed to play all games. not aguero he could play 1 game out of 2 in a DGW

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    also suarez sturridge guaranteed to play all games. not aguero he could play 1 game out of 2 in a DGW
    I think if there is one player in this game worth that risk it is Aguero, if he plays 120 minutes during a DGW he is still a huge advantage. For me, the big winner front 3 from GW 30 (arguably 31 with Liverpool having United) is Suarez, Sturridge, Aguero.

Yaya is 100% on the way out for me.

Yaya is 100% on the way out for me.
    Who is your replacement?

• Advertisement
Advertisement