Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain Water Harvesting Scheme Farming

Options
  • 25-02-2014 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Was chatting to a friend in Dept of Agriculture & they said that just 94-97 farmers applied for the RWH scheme..this seems like very little in my opinion. Could anyone shed some light on this? Have any farmers out there applied for the RWH scheme..if so why? Farmers who did not apply..what were your reasons in not doing so? most of the farmers who applied were dairy farmers - makes sense. I'm from a farming background (grew up on a farm as a kid, no longer involved anymore but brother has a few cows, nothing too big – he enjoys it more than anything else). For me RWH seems like a good environmentally friendly option…although maybe not cost effective at the moment. The RWH scheme grant did not appear to be big enough for farmers to take a huge interest..Any thoughts...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

Never really seen anything about it, maybe i just missed it in the press
    but nothing stood out and grabbed my attention about it anyway
    We have the old style concrete tank in our yard which we use for different things so we are probably half doing it unknown to ourselves anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JHolland88

I've heard of the Grant but didn't see any one doing it. Any link to see what's it all about??

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Onslo

F.D wrote: »
    Never really seen anything about it, maybe i just missed it in the press
    but nothing stood out and grabbed my attention about it anyway
    We have the old style concrete tank in our yard which we use for different things so we are probably half doing it unknown to ourselves anyway

Just curious F.D. Are you a dairy farmer? and have you a well by any chance? Most other farmers I've spoken to said they had a well, so the added cost of the RWH system would not make sense - the fact they have a well.
    It sounds like you are certainly collecting rainwater - I think its a great idea. Also takes the pressure off the mains.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Onslo

JHolland88 wrote: »
    I've heard of the Grant but didn't see any one doing it. Any link to see what's it all about??

Quite a few people I spoke to hadn't heard of it either...just wondering why the Dept of Agriculture didn't advertise it further..
    here's a link :

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/farmerschemespayments/farmbuildings/rainwaterharvestingscheme/

The scheme was first introduced in March 2011 & ran until Dec 31st 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

Onslo wrote: »
    Just curious F.D. Are you a dairy farmer? and have you a well by any chance? Most other farmers I've spoken to said they had a well, so the added cost of the RWH system would not make sense - the fact they have a well.
    It sounds like you are certainly collecting rainwater - I think its a great idea. Also takes the pressure off the mains.

Have a well and not a dairy farmer, but when its there in the tank we use if for little jobs around the place, it was very handy when the pipes froze a few winters ago we could still break the ice on the tank and get water
    the older generation that built these old farm yards were no fools either
    dont get me wrong it would not keep the shed of cattle going for long but you could fill a sprayer a few times with it or use the water to wash things

• Advertisement
Advertisement