Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does the term "up to 70Mhz" actually mean?

Options
  • 25-02-2014 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I've ordered efibre but it now appears that the term "up to 70Mhz" doesn't guarantee any lower limit but does set the monthly cost... In the event of the download speed never exceeding (for example), 30Mhz, will I be billed for the 30Mhz service?

Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

I've ordered efibre but it now appears that the term "up to 70Mhz" doesn't guarantee any lower limit but does set the monthly cost... In the event of the download speed never exceeding (for example), 30Mhz, will I be billed for the 30Mhz service?

Mike

Hi michaelotoole

The term is up to 70MB and the term 'up to' means speeds of a maximum of 70MB. If you experience average speeds of 30MB the price does not change as it still falls under the terms of 'up to'. Before ordering you will be given an indication on what speeds to expect however this indication would not be a specific guarantee.

The is industry terminology and procedure as speeds will vary from user to user depending on distance from exchange or Cabinet in the case of fibre.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭michaelotoole

Thanks for that Al...

Just realised I typed Mhz in stead of MB... even engineers make mistakes... ;)

It appears there's a cabinet ~200 meters away, so looking good...
    Mike

Thanks for that Al...

Just realised I typed Mhz in stead of MB... even engineers make mistakes... ;)

It appears there's a cabinet ~200 meters away, so looking good...
    Mike
    Hi michaelotoole

I've made much worse mistakes myslelf so no worries on that ;)

Yes, 200 meters is a good sign

Al

Spotted a new cabinet 20 meters from me...  it appears to be an eFibre type as identified by the picture in the first post of the "Eircom Fibre Rollout Mapping" thread.... a classic case of 'wood for the trees' ;)

Mike

Installed this morning and working a treat.... 67MB/17MB so pretty close....

Now if we only had fibre to the door... Attainable Net Data Rate: 28.804 Mbps 96.232 Mbps (was over 100MB on first test)...

Complements on the installation crew... nice bunch of guys...

@Alan... can I ask two quick questions via PM?

• Advertisement

Installed this morning and working a treat.... 67MB/17MB so pretty close....

Now if we only had fibre to the door... Attainable Net Data Rate:     28.804 Mbps       96.232 Mbps  (was over 100MB on first test)...

Complements on the installation crew... nice bunch of guys...

@Alan... can I ask two quick questions via PM?
    Glad to hear this Michael

Sure PM away :)

Al

When viewing connection status/system monitor in browser, my connection drops out regularly... only for a second or two but nevertheless it happens... Is this normal?

Sorry for bothering you, I would have posted in general forum if I cold find one specific to eircom  broadband | fibre...
    It's not a major concern but if you get some a chance...
    Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Hi michaelotoole

The term is up to 70MB and the term 'up to' means speeds of a maximum of 70MB. If you experience average speeds of 30MB the price does not change as it still falls under the terms of 'up to'. Before ordering you will be given an indication on what speeds to expect however this indication would not be a specific guarantee.
    Alan, please remember that speeds are not measured in MB (Mega Bytes) but Mb (Mega bits). 70Mb broadband is about 9MB. 

It's my mistake... I could blame the keyboard but it's just me forgetting things... I rarely deal in bits so I automatically use MB for both... from now on I will use Mb for bits... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

It's my mistake... Alan's already mentioned that... I could blame the keyboard but it's just me forgetting things... I haven't come across the abbreviation too often so I automatically use MB for both... from now on I will use Mb for bits... ;)
    It was Alan's mistake. People sometimes mistake the capital B (byte) for the small b (bit). Megabits is usually a measure of bandwidth, and MegaBytes is a measure of data transfer. 

Since there's typically 8 bits in a byte it looks better in advertising to use Megabits because you can use a bigger number. (70 instead of 9) :)

• Advertisement

Actually that a very good point.... I never though of that... it does look a lot more...
    But I should know better I'm an old engineer who still get confused when it comes to Mhz, MB and Mb ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's fairly certain that "up to X" in an ad means "definitely less than X"

for any company, offering any service or good. 

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Philm_12

I'm paying for "up to 24 Mb" Broadband Advanced Unlimited. 
    Speed test this evening - 3.50 Mbps
    I think that in most businesses, this would be called misleading marketing.   

3366716672.png
    After dark and early morning (when most people sleep), mine almost makes the 70Mbs so I best not complain... (efibre 70Mb unlimited)...

That was the best yet but all other tests averaged ~67Mb
    I estimate I'm about 175 meters from the cabinet...

Advertisement