Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men, triathlon and their wive's permission: Excuse.

Options
  • 25-02-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Why is it that so many men who compete in triathlon use the excuse of needing their wives permission to train, take part in events?
    Almost every man on this forum has at some stage used 'the wife' as a cop out when the reality is us wives do not give a damn!!! If you need an excuse for a crap performance or just simply being lazy then how about thinking of something more original:D:D

If CW gets in to Norseman then I'll be his support if he square it away with my good wife :pac
    Trig1 wrote: »
    i'd be up for it as long as its not too far away and i dont do the run or the swim and the other half allows me :D:D:rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

when the reality is us wives do not give a damn!!!

ah you're saying that as someone training yourself.

my other half very much gives a damn if i'm around or not. sure who is she going to give out to if i'm gone all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I think you'll find in my our house that its a case of each supporting the other in training and racing but also that deference is needed to ensure that a particular race / training / commmitment suits the rest of the household.

May also be a throw back to the old days of 'herself indoors' being the ruler of the roost.

I know if I went home and said: "I'm going to train hard for the next year to do *insert race* and then I'm heading off with the lads on a training camp" I know she'd be a great help packing my bags, permanently!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Why is it that so many men who compete in triathlon use the excuse of needing their wives permission to train, take part in events?
    Almost every man on this forum has at some stage used 'the wife' as a cop out when the reality is us wives do not give a damn!!! If you need an excuse for a crap performance or just simply being lazy then how about thinking of something more original:D:D

To be honest its more a commentary on the state of the complainers marriage.

Some wives do complain, some wives do kick up a fuss, some wives do use triathlon and training as an excuse to get up on their high horse.

Growing up I always put that type of girl in a specifc bucket labelled "cvnt" and avoided having anything to do with them long term wise.

Some men married "cvnts" :)

Devils advocate post:

Some trains <10 hours a week and wife complains = bull**** or cvnt

After that things like number of kids, jobs, working arrangements etc etc can make it valid to complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ha good job I didn't answer that comment on Dorys log or I would be blacklisted in Shell to Runs eyes as well :p

Heres hoping she doesn't go through any of my older posts......gotta go I hear the wife coming up the stairs :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well I married a saint. Never complains about how our lives are organised around my 14 hr + training weeks, all the time I spend talking, reading, talking, day dreaming, talking about races and training.

Maybe it's because he gets the chance to watch as much sport on TV as he likes while I'm out of his hair :D

seriously, kids have a lot to do with it. before we had kids, my wife would have been happy for me to do 20 hours a week, she'd have been off doing something herself. my biggest mistake was i wasn't into all this training back then

after kids though, it's a different matter. it's not the hours you are away, it's the hours they then have to entertain the kids alone. if i could take the kids on some of the training with me i'd say my wife would be happy for me to bump up the hours

Like AKW, i've mentioned at times a (very) long term goal of some day giving IM a shot, at which my wife has made it very clear i'd better get used to looking after myself cause she won't be there for it. I'm at my upper limit for training (which luckily exceeds tunney's cut off point for my wife being a *&^*), and as she is so good about the time i am gone then i don;t push it any more than that. Happy balance

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Lets face it, any of our partners are pure saints to put up with the excessive training and copious amounts of money some of us throw at our habit.

I think the issue is when you refer to needing permission from your other half as if they were your mammy doling out pocket money!

I do have friends who get sh1t from their wives and partners about the amount that they train.

"You know they go out with the girls and go shopping more than you train?"

I get sh*t about it, I just choose not to mention it here. I think it would be abnormal if it didnt p*ss him off.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    I get sh*t about it, I just choose not to mention it here. I think it would be abnormal if it didnt p*ss him off.

"Do you want a fat wife/girlfriend/OH or not?"

tunney wrote: »

Without getting too personal, yes.

Good job Glenda is ok with the training, you cant really use that line ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

But I also think some of the "complaining" on boards is literary license for amusement. Or maybe it's just me being amused by it....either way, I factor in the dynamics of the writer and then take the need for permission to be granted with a grain of salt. (how am I doing, cw? ;))

Dory Dory wrote: »
    But I also think some of the "complaining" on boards is literary license for amusement. Or maybe it's just me being amused by it....either way, I factor in the dynamics of the writer and then take the need for permission to be granted with a grain of salt. (how am I doing, cw? ;))

No Dory - I am afraid Mrs C is a bi1ch :(

Shes just too practical for my liking

"You are going to pay for the flights for you me and the kids, one mother and a bike to one of the most expensive countries in the world, hire a RV for a week and enter a race because you want to win a black t-shirt that you have feck all chance of earning?

The hey baby heres some money go and buy yourself something nice didn't work this time

Ironman UK or Wales for me at this rate :rolleyes:

catweazle wrote: »

"You are going to pay for the flights for you me and the kids, one mother and a bike to one of the most expensive countries in the world, hire a RV for a week and enter a race because you want to win a black t-shirt that you have feck all chance of earning?

The hey baby heres some money go and buy yourself something nice didn't work this time

Wow, cw, I'm so sorry to hear.....that's near spousal abuse if you ask me. I'll light a candle for you.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Wow, cw, I'm so sorry to hear.....that's near spousal abuse if you ask me. I'll light a candle for you.
    Shiit Dory, you get me every time. Spat at the screen. :P

The big N is overrated anyway cw. Wales is where its at, I hear, and I gorra be honest, getting a car ferry to a race is so damn easy, its got a lot going for it.

"Jimmy John Joe is having a foreign stag. Norway. Only a few days"

Oryx wrote: »
    Shiit Dory, you get me every time. Spat at the screen. :P

The big N is overrated anyway cw. Wales is where its at, I hear, and I gorra be honest, getting a car ferry to a race is so damn easy, its got a lot going for it.

I hate the Taffies, although Tenby in fairness looks like a great spot
    "Jimmy John Joe is having a foreign stag. Norway. Only a few days"

Who goes to Norway on a stag Sir David Attenborough and his mates? Thats just not realistic! Perhaps I will feign interest in Astromony and suggest I have always wanted to see the Northern lights

Who goes to Norway on a stag Sir David Attenborough and his mates? Thats just not realistic! Perhaps I will feign interest in Astromony and suggest I have always wanted to see the Northern lights

Play the long game. Make up a Norwegian mate. Talk about him non stop for a few months. Then announce he got engaged, then the stag. Then they split up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

You have married a saint if you have full time jobs kids under the age of 7 and can still train 10 times a week imo. Jobs have a lot to do with it as well. If u work long hours in a inflexible job that is going to play a role as well. My wife turned 40 today and im in lanzarote training. She is a saint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

You have married a saint if you have full time jobs kids under the age of 7 and can still train 10 times a week imo. Jobs have a lot to do with it as well. If u work long hours in a inflexible job that is going to play a role as well. My wife turned 40 today and im in lanzarote training. She is a saint.

If I did that on my wife's 40th I'd be single!!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MaryB30

I don't know if its reverse psychology or what. But I get suggested races to go to, and surrounding accommodation for other half and 3 kids!!!! All presented in folder form, like I accidently went into a travel agent accidently on my way home.

Also told it was cheaper when I was on the drink and ciggies.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Anyway everything is AOK as long a we bring the Entourage. €€€€€€€€€€

MaryB30 wrote: »

Anyway everything is AOK as long a we bring the Entourage. €€€€€€€€€€

that was pretty much my OH's exact response when i told her i wanted to do a race in lanzarote last november.

told her i was doing kilkee this year and not so much. go figure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Having played poker semi pro for a few years and being away every weekend around Europe i don't think the missus minds me doing a bit of training instead:)

I picked a good un.

A wise man once said "if you OH isn't complaining then you aren't doing enough"

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

OK so there I am usual Tuesday night track session, two 'husbands' having a chat about what races they hope to do this year and guess what - one of them hopes to do Limerick marathon, thats if he gets the go ahead from the cvnt!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

When does the 'want to escape train 20 hours' kick in? I'm a recent addition to the husband tribe and have never been fatter...

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Heres hoping she doesn't go through any of my older posts......gotta go I hear the wife coming up the stairs :eek:

Very interseting serach in your log.............
    catweazle wrote:
    So the long and short of it - I have permission to race more as even the missus thought 3 races in a year was pretty pathetic.
    catweazle wrote:
    Some of us have to work!! However, I will be at TriBugh* *currently outline planning permission is granted, but possible it could be rescinded.
    catweazle wrote:
    An Ironman is still "hoped" for but I have to be careful with it, I still have the permission as I don't think Mrs C has really grasped how much this will cost.

Need I say more:pac:

• Advertisement

Very interseting serach in your log.............

Need I say more:pac:

<lights second candle.....>

Advertisement