Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scam call

Options
  • 25-02-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭

This morning I received a call from a none Irish person saying they where from eircom to fix my trouble with my computer.

I'm not even with ye for boardband or landline.

This is the number that rang me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

cena wrote: »
    This morning I received a call from a none Irish person saying they where from eircom to fix my trouble with my computer.

I'm not even with ye for boardband  or landline.

Hi cena

I can confirm that this is a scam call. If they call again please do not give them any details & hang up. Unfortunately there is nothing to be done to block these calls but this is currently under investigation.

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 39 papajohn12

Thanks for the heads up! It's a scam call indeed. Although I didn't get a call like that yet, I've read a lot of feedback and complaints on that particular scam and it appears to have become prevalent recently. So be wary..

• Registered Users Posts: 39 papajohn12

I also found several feedback posted on www.callercenter.com about calls purporting to be from technical support, registering weird phone numbers on the recipient's caller ID. It is believed that those numbers were spoofed, faked so that the caller's identity and location remains unknown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

papajohn12 wrote: »
    I also found several feedback posted on www.callercenter.com about calls purporting to be from technical support, registering weird phone numbers on the recipient's caller ID. It is believed that those numbers were spoofed, faked so that the caller's identity and location remains unknown.
    Thanks papajohn12.
    the more these are exposed the less people will be affected.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

got a call from 
    today at 10:10am, Eircom support apparently. Now, i have has slow speeds online lately, but am with Vodafone. this scammers must check here for information or people complaints about slow internet.
    well the guy wanted me to download team viewer and take control of my computer. I told him that is there was a speed problem with my internet the correct way to check is to ask me to unplug my phones and router and you run a test on my line.

I then told him he is a scammer! and the language out of him! haha :)

me 1 - scammer 0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

I got a call from the same number the day after I posted this now saying they where from Microsoft

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

i entertained one of these caller earlier  this year.. we spent 45 minutes trying to find My computer icon from my desktop.. after 45 minutes i asked, does it make any difference that im using Linux.. he hanged up immediatly, havent received any calls after that..

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

Whenever I receive one of these calls, I see how long I can string them along before they hang up on me. The most recent one was from a "Microsoft employee" telling me that I had a problem with my computer. After about ten minutes of me spinning him a yarn, he called me a f***ing idiot and hung up on me. It's only a small thing, but it amuses me greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mike_T

I typed in one of the numbers mentioned above in Google and found this thread. I appreciate the isolated calls from scammers can be an opening to "having some fun" at their expense but am concerned to have to report that my 80 year old mum has recently received 20-30 calls from these people rendering her afraid now to answer her own phone. She has caller id and the following is an example of the numbers and frequency of calls in a two day period starting at 9.10am and finishing at 8.45pm on July 1st & 2nd, 2014 : 0098326595 (3), 0906477311 (4), 0766042745 (9), 88627262344 (5), 85697486347 (3), 21266660794 (3) and 7 calls from "Private". I appreciate the opportunity for humour is there but would appreciate any pointers on how to stop this happening altogether.

Mike_T wrote: »
    I typed in one of the numbers mentioned above in Google and found this thread. I appreciate the isolated calls from scammers can be an opening to "having some fun" at their expense but am concerned to have to report that my 80 year old mum has recently received 20-30 calls from these people rendering her afraid now to answer her own phone. She has caller id and the following is an example of the numbers and frequency of calls in a two day period starting at 9.10am and finishing at 8.45pm on July 1st & 2nd, 2014 : 0098326595 (3), 0906477311 (4), 0766042745 (9), 88627262344 (5), 85697486347 (3), 21266660794 (3) and 7 calls from "Private". I appreciate the opportunity for humour is there but would appreciate any pointers on how to stop this happening altogether.

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi Mike_T[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]I can fully understand the concern you feel - especially considering the circumstances.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]I could recommend a call blocker (details here: http://www.eircom.net/accessories/phones/cordless/callblocker/ ) however as the calls are coming from different numbers all the time this would prove ineffective in your circumstance as the blocker can only block the number you request it to block.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Unfortunately the only way I can recommends blocking these calls effectively is by changing the number itself - however even doing so cannot guarantee that the scammers will not get this (although it would be mindful to make the new number ex directory for minimise the possibility).[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Thanks[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Al[/font]

• Advertisement

Hi Mike_T

I can fully understand the concern you feel - especially considering the circumstances.

I could recommend a call blocker (details here: however as the calls are coming from different numbers all the time this would prove ineffective in your circumstance as the blocker can only block the number you request it to block.

Unfortunately the only way I can recommends blocking these calls effectively is by changing the number itself - however even doing so cannot guarantee that the scammers will not get this (although it would be mindful to make the new number ex directory for minimise the possibility).

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Al, I think that we will proceed with the idea of changing her number as, given her age, she would have some difficulty in managing a call blocker. Additionally, we would be able to communicate her change of number fairly easily as her list of contacts is relatively low. Can you advise how we would proceed with such a change of number ?

Hi Mike_T

I can fully understand the concern you feel - especially considering the circumstances.

I could recommend a call blocker (details here: however as the calls are coming from different numbers all the time this would prove ineffective in your circumstance as the blocker can only block the number you request it to block.

Unfortunately the only way I can recommends blocking these calls effectively is by changing the number itself - however even doing so cannot guarantee that the scammers will not get this (although it would be mindful to make the new number ex directory for minimise the possibility).

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Al, I think that we will proceed with the idea of changing her number as, given her age, she would have some difficulty in managing a call blocker. Additionally, we would be able to communicate her change of number fairly easily as her list of contacts is relatively low. Can you advise how we would proceed with such a change of number ?

Hello Mike_T

That's probably your best option - but make sure to make it ex directory. To arrange a change of phone number please contact eircom accounts on free phone 1901 where an agent will be happy to arrange this for you.
    Let me know how this goes if you can please.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Mike_T

Thanks
    Al

Hello 

That's probably your best option - but make sure to make it ex directory. To arrange a change of phone number please contact eircom accounts on free phone 1901 where an agent will be happy to arrange this for you.

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Al,
    Just off the phone from customer services. Very efficient handling of my request and new number issued there and then, ex Directory as requested. Fingers crossed that it works ok and she regains her peace of mind in answering her phone. Thanks for your insights and recommendation. Regards, Mike_T

Hi Mike_T

Thanks
    Al

Hello 

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Al,
    Just off the phone from customer services. Very efficient handling of my request and new number issued there and then, ex Directory as requested. Fingers crossed that it works ok and she regains her peace of mind in answering her phone. Thanks for your insights and recommendation. Regards, Mike_T
    I'm glad I could help Mike_T :)

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mikofo

Just had a call from this number  this morning looking to fix computer

mikofo wrote: »
    Just had a call from this number  this morning looking to fix computer
    HI mikofo

Sorry to hear this - it really is best just to hang up on such calls.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 3 corneliafaust

cena wrote: »

I'm not even with ye for boardband  or landline.

Sounds suspicious, the phone number doesn't look valid. It looks more like a random code assigned to calls made from a computer. Besides, there's no way for a caller to know what's happening on your computer. What the caller said was obviously a bluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 corneliafaust

It's best to report such calls to Callercenter.com too, to share a warning. You never know when the info you shared might save someone from falling victim to the scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MichOS

I've had several of these scam calls, despite having a number that's always been ex-directory. I only give my (eircom) landline number to family and friends and don't enter it online. Where are these scammers getting my details from? It can't be random, the last one knew my name and address!

MichOS wrote: »
    I've had several of these scam calls, despite having a number that's always been ex-directory. I only give my (eircom) landline number to family and friends and don't enter it online. Where are these scammers getting my details from? It can't be random, the last one knew my name and address!
    Hi MichOS

We are unable to see how these scammers are getting the phone numbers & names from but if you have any concerns please contact eircoms malicious calls bureau on free phone 1800689689 

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement
Advertisement