Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trapezius Strain

• 25-02-2014 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭

First off, I'm not looking for medical advice or anything of that nature. I've been to the doctor and i know what's wrong and how to rest it.

I pulled a ligament/tendon in my trap up near my occipital bone yesterday while bench pressing. It's like a constant headache in the back of your head :D. How i did this i have no idea. I've been benching long enough and never had such a strain/reaction.

Any ideas how i manage to do this? Is it common?

(Doing 3x5 heavy sets)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

thats a new one for me, you probably bounce the bar off your chest, and raise your head, to flatten your arch, to allow for greater bounce. thats the only way i can think of

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

Id guess from your description that you are driving your head into the bench during the press. Easy thing to do without meaning to when benching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I took the week off to rest and stretch it and went back last night.

Could feel some pressure on it but probably because i was paying extra attention to the area.

Keeping it slow and steady for now. Will try lift heavy next week and see how i get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Never a bad time to point this out, but warming-up properly is so damn important. I never used to warm up as well as I do now (in my 30's so I have to), and I haven't even had a niggle since getting back into it a few months ago. Compare this to my early 20's when I always had some sort of ache or pain, taking much less care with warm up's.

I'm pretty obsessive about it now taking roughly 7-8 warm-up sets. Could be worth looking at.

Advertisement