If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Music System - Wired or Wireless

Options
  • 25-02-2014 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi
    would be grateful for advice
    I am in the early stages of building a house. I am trying to decide whether to go wired or wireless for a home music system. Let me say at the outset I am not a techie and I am new to this !!

I am leaning towards wireless (Sonas) for the following reasons
    1) Flexibility - I can play radio in one room wile children play their music in another
    2) ability to source music from my pc and internet

I would be grateful for any advise as I will only get one shot at this and don't want to make a bags of it !

You might advise on what systems you recommend if wired is the preferred option and price range

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Can I just check with you, before I reply, that we haven't been in touch by email ?

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bouli73

Can I just check with you, before I reply, that we haven't been in touch by email ?

ATB

Dave
    Hi.
    No I haven't spoken to you before?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Bouli73, that's spot on, just I have a customer on email asking (and worded) exactly the same question.

Could you PM me a contact number and a suitable time to call you and I'll maybe call to discuss as it would be faster and may make more sense if discussed ?

Many thanks

Dave

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

bouli73 wrote: »
    Hi
    would be grateful for advice
    I am in the early stages of building a house. I am trying to decide whether to go wired or wireless for a home music system. Let me say at the outset I am not a techie and I am new to this !!

I am leaning towards wireless (Sonas) for the following reasons
    1) Flexibility - I can play radio in one room wile children play their music in another
    2) ability to source music from my pc and internet

I would be grateful for any advise as I will only get one shot at this and don't want to make a bags of it !

You might advise on what systems you recommend if wired is the preferred option and price range

thanks
    Bouli73,

really apologies for the delay getting back to you :o

I would always recommend that is you have the opportunity to install a wired system - thats the best option and I would ALWAYS go down that route - however you may decide subsequently to use a wireless system, but at least you will always have the wired option.

The main reasons to go for a wired system??

1. Better Audio & Video Quality.

2. Much more stable delivery of content

3. Safer? Lots of people are starting to become concerned about the sheer amount of 'radio' in their domestic atmospheres.

4. Choice - if you have a wired system, then you can choose between almost any wired system AND most wireless systems also include network inputs which almost all manufacturers recommend as the best option.

Why not to opt for a wired system:

1. Cost, of course the prime reason cost - however most wired systems use a combination of CAT5/6 data cable and speaker cable, both of which are really relatively inexpensive.

If you are considering Sonos - I would highly recommend it - however even Sonos does have network inputs and it works far better if its wired - also if you intend to 'build-in' your speakers ie into the ceiling, then you will have to run some speaker cable back to a central (or room) hub anyway.

If you really only want to source your music from Radio or PC then Sonos will suffice - if you have any legacy sources ie CD / DVD / TV etc then you will probably have to look at a wired system as Sonos is limited to a single 'line-level' input.

If you want to house evertyhing centrally ( which is the way forward if you are building from scratch) then I'd recommend the Sonos ZP120 which has a built in amp and house them all together to keep the rooms clutter free, and wire out to in-ceiling or on wall speakers remotely in each room..

If you need any info on any specific products or pricing or you need a hand with the cable planning please drop us a line and we will do our best to assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew 

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.