Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do mostly only hippies and yuppies buy organic food

Options
  • 25-02-2014 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Shouldnt we all be eating organically its better for everyone and everything.. But when I went to these food markets its mostly the hippy posh crowd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Because it costs a fortune most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Shouldnt we all be eating organically its better for everyone and everything

Debatable
    But when I went to these food markets its mostly the hippy posh crowd

I know what you mean. In my experience, it's like that stupid Trinity joke about self important gits. How do you know someone only eats organic food? They tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Shouldnt we all be eating organically its better for everyone and everything.. But when I went to these food markets its mostly the hippy posh crowd

I'd say because the "hippy" crowd think more about the earth/living sustainably/ethics.

I would class myself as part of the hippie crowd and most people I know that aren't part of that crowd don't really think about those kinda things and they think organic is some sort of scam to charge more.

Your average Joe is concerned primarily with cost. They want as much as they can get for as little as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Shouldnt we all be eating organically its better for everyone and everything..

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Short answer would be that they have either the cash to spend extra on their veg or the sincerely held belief that organic is better for them to justify spending the extra money on organic.

I don't think I'm a yuppy and I'm definitely not a hippy & the reason I don't buy organic pretty much ever is because I have have big reservations about the term organic (to the point that I struggle not to put air bunnies around organic at times, especially when it's organic processed food or organic Tesco food) and whether it's any better for you healthwise or better for the environment or whether people actually know what is meant by organic on a packet and if I was spending extra would much prefer to go for locally produced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

I'm not a hippie or a yuppie and I don't go out of my way to buy organic meat as I feel that the organic system's blanket "no drugs" approach to preventative animal healthcare, while well-intended, is potentially counter productive. I am happy to be vaccinated to reduce the risk of infectious disease, likewise I vaccinate and worm my animals to prevent them getting ill. I don't feel this is overuse of "chemicals".

I would have serious ethical reservations about letting calves and lambs out to graze in a wet summer and not be in a position to treat them with wormers until they become ill with liver fluke, hoose or the like. I don't think this makes sense. I believe in evidence-based healthcare i.e. combine excellent animal husbandry with veterinary and drug intervention where necessary (preferably before the individual becomes ill). I do not consider the use of "homeopathic" wormers in organically farmed animals to be in the best interest of the animals' welfare.

I think people attach on to the organic label and see it as "good" or "better than" conventional food. The reality is a lot more subtle and nuanced than this: like most things in life! :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm not a hippie or a yuppie and I don't go out of my way to buy organic meat as I feel that the organic system's blanket "no drugs" approach to preventative animal healthcare, while well-intended, is potentially counter productive. I am happy to be vaccinated to reduce the risk of infectious disease, likewise I vaccinate and worm my animals to prevent them getting ill. I don't feel this is overuse of "chemicals".

I would have serious ethical reservations about letting calves and lambs out to graze in a wet summer and not be in a position to treat them with wormers until they become ill with liver fluke, hoose or the like. I don't think this makes sense. I believe in evidence-based healthcare i.e. combine excellent animal husbandry with veterinary and drug intervention where necessary (preferably before the individual becomes ill). I do not consider the use of "homeopathic" wormers in organically farmed animals to be in the best interest of the animals' welfare.

I think people attach on to the organic label and see it as "good" or "better than" conventional food. The reality is a lot more subtle and nuanced than this: like most things in life! :-).
    but unfortunately, lots of producers routinely use antibiotics as a preventative medicine. There are responsible and irresponsible people on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I saw some program and wherever it was it was saying if the "organic animals" were treated with drugs then they had to be off the drugs for a longer amount of time before slaughter to make sure most was gone from their system. This made sense to me.

Some people seem to think organic food is grown with no pesticides of fungicides at all, but in most places they can use "natural" fungicides & pesticides. It would not surprise me if some of the natural ones were worse for humans than the usual ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

"forks over knives" is a great documentary. It covers all this stuff really well. Its a must watch imho because we know so much more about food nowadays that's not known in the mainstream. If you watch it you will change your mind about a lot of things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭danish pasterys

"forks over knives" is a great documentary. It covers all this stuff really well. Its a must watch imho because we know so much more about food nowadays that's not known in the mainstream. If you watch it you will change your mind about a lot of things :)

Thanks for the tip, I will watch it as I seen a brillant must watch doc recently called FOOD MATTERS which has me wanting to go the organic way.. But you really dont know whats what anymore, I seen a free range chicken factory that just opened a little door for an hour a day so they could label it free range and the chickens wouldnt even go out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 goosey5

rubadub wrote: »
    I saw some program and wherever it was it was saying if the "organic animals" were treated with drugs then they had to be off the drugs for a longer amount of time before slaughter to make sure most was gone from their system. This made sense to me.

Some people seem to think organic food is grown with no pesticides of fungicides at all, but in most places they can use "natural" fungicides & pesticides. It would not surprise me if some of the natural ones were worse for humans than the usual ones.

Yes ur right ! 18days and under the withdrawal time is tripled and over 18 its doubled !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

cross between a hippie and a yuppy?

a huppie :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement