Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Debit

Options
  • 25-02-2014 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I got a huge over-estimated bill from Air Tricity which is not possible to pay at the moment. I am happy to pay what is due.  The payment is due on 2nd March. I phoned Air Tricity on Monday with proper reading.  The lady gave me a big long number beginning with IE & told me to go to my bank & they would sort me out regarding the DD.  The guy there didnt know was he able to do it or not, anyway he took a copy of the Bill & I had a signed note written out. I still dont know will the proper amount come out of my account on the 2nd.  What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi hillbloom,

Thanks for getting in touch.

It's possible for you to make this type of request online by selecting the SEPA Direct Debit Services option in BOI 365 Online's Online Service Desk. Alternatively, the required form can be downloaded here and posted to the address on the form. The 'Refuse Specific Direct Debit Payment' form is the one you need as this will not completely cancel your direct debit to Airtricity.

Hope this helps but if you do have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Hi hillbloom,

Thanks for getting in touch.

It's possible for you to make this type of request online by selecting the SEPA Direct Debit Services option in BOI 365 Online's Online Service Desk. Alternatively, the required form can be downloaded here and posted to the address on the form. The 'Refuse Specific Direct Debit Payment' form is the one you need as this will not completely cancel your direct debit to Airtricity.

Hope this helps but if you do have any other questions, please feel free to ask.
    Tara
    Thanks Tara for your very quick response.  Can my branch not do this for me?  I have it left with the guy in BOI & I will know on 2nd of the outcome.  As I said he didnt seem to know how to handle it.  Using the post, it would end up too late. All I do know Tara is a friend had the same problem a few weeks ago.  She is with AIB & was told by the bank to go in at least 1 day before the DD is due & tell them the amount you want to pay & thats all. Boards is a good service. Thanks again.

Hi hillbloom,

You're more than welcome. As you've already provided your branch with the instruction, you don't need to take any further action on this particular request. The SEPA Direct Debit requests need to be submitted one working day before the payment is due to present, if you should need to make any further requests.

Thanks for your kind feedback,
    Tara

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

hillbloom wrote: »
    I got a huge over-estimated bill from Air Tricity which is not possible to pay at the moment. I am happy to pay what is due.  The payment is due on 2nd March. I phoned Air Tricity on Monday with proper reading.  The lady gave me a big long number beginning with IE & told me to go to my bank & they would sort me out regarding the DD.  The guy there didnt know was he able to do it or not, anyway he took a copy of the Bill & I had a signed note written out. I still dont know will the proper amount come out of my account on the 2nd.  What do you think?

Just for the record:

"You can request your bank to refuse a direct debit payment on your account up to close of business the day before the direct debit is due to be paid from your account"

http://www.ipso.ie/section/section/YourRightsasaPayer

This is now a legal right.  It is disappointing to read that bank staff are apparently not aware of such an important matter.

Be careful that Air Tricity dont try to impose an administrative charge on you for exercising what is a legal right.

Hi Tara I am so annoyed now, I discovered that guy in BoI CANCELLED the DD.  As I said in the 1st posting here the guy wasnt certain of what he was doing & said to me leave it with him.  I got a text a few days later to say "your request has been processed".  Only a few hours ago I logged into my Air Tricity account to find DD is cancelled.  How stupid was he!!  I never mentioned CANCELLING.  If he couldnt do it all he needed to do was telephone & at least let me know.What will I do now?  I am so upset!!

• Advertisement

Hi hillbloom,

We're sorry to hear this has caused you upset. Can I ask, have you contacted Airtricity to clarify that the mandate has been completely cancelled? It may be that the message you received online refers to the specific payment being refused. 

If you contact your branch a representative will be more than happy to look into this for you and clarify exactly what action has been taken on your request.

Thanks
    Tara

Hi hillbloom,

We're sorry to hear this has caused you upset. Can I ask, have you contacted Airtricity to clarify that the mandate has been completely cancelled? It may be that the message you received online refers to the specific payment being refused. 

If you contact your branch a representative will be more than happy to look into this for you and clarify exactly what action has been taken on your request.

Thanks
    Tara
    Yes Tara the stupid fellow cancelled it. I was in contact with Air Tricity & I think I got it sorted. Oh, I rang my BoI Branch to speak with this guy & the call went straight to Dublin, the branches are no longer talking calls.  Actually only a couple of week ago I had reason to call the local AIB & I was able to do so.  Is this only BoI. Cant lodge coins only on certain days , no phone calls to local office, do our own lodgements, get our statements on-line. What are the staff doing. Once upon a time one could have a chat with the staff about ones family ie school/college or even the weather, that day is gone!! That message " your request has been processed, thank you for banking with BoI".  & he making a right mess for me!!!Its not your fault Tara but .........

Hi hillbloom,

We understand your frustration and would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused due to your request not being carried out correctly.

The calls for our branches are answered by Bank of Ireland Customer Services and this has been in place for several years. Customer Services have access to the same systems as staff located in a branch. They are more than happy to transfer a call to a specific staff member, send a detailed message to the branch requesting they call you or provide you with a direct line if required. Branch staff are also encouraged to provide customers with their direct line, should a customer have specific requirements.

If you would like us to forward the details of your experience to the branch, please pm us with your name and account holding branch. We would be more than happy to send this on to the Customer Service Manager for feedback for the branch staff.

Thanks
    Tara 

Advertisement