Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corporation tax guide

Options
  • 25-02-2014 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

Is there any clear guide to how you can estimate corporation tax liability. The basis for this tax is that it is due on profits but I need more detail on what is considered profit.

i.e. income minus Wages paid minus Purchases = profit.

But what purchases are not considered for this. i.e. my business bought 2 vans. Am I correct that these cannot be used in the equation above?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

CT is charged on Net Profits

Sales - COS (Purchases) = Gross Profits

Gross Profits - Admin Expenses (Wages, Light & Heat etc) = Net Profits

The purchase of a Van is considered a purchase of an asset and does not come into the Profit and Loss account straight but rather over a number of years (i.e. depreciation/capital allowances). For the purposes of taxation, Revenue allows a rate of 12.5%.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Is there any clear guide to how you can estimate corporation tax liability. The basis for this tax is that it is due on profits but I need more detail on what is considered profit.

i.e. income minus Wages paid minus Purchases = profit.

But what purchases are not considered for this. i.e. my business bought 2 vans. Am I correct that these cannot be used in the equation above?

I would sit down with an accountant and ask for their advise.

Van would be considered a capital item. You can't claim them as an expense but rather capital allowances over 8 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Thanks for advice. I will be meeting with accountant- just needed some grasp beforehand for my own piece of mind.

Is all plant and machinery considered as capital items?

For example -A construction company can hire a digger to complete excavation on a project and it is considered a purchase so is tax deductible. If the same company buys a digger to do the same excavation it is then considered a capital purchase and is not tax deductible. This seems contradictory?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

Thanks for advice. I will be meeting with accountant- just needed some grasp beforehand for my own piece of mind.

For example -A construction company can hire a digger to complete excavation on a project and it is considered a purchase so is tax deductible. If the same company buys a digger to do the same excavation it is then considered a capital purchase and is not tax deductible. This seems contradictory?

No it is tax deductible the cost of the asset is just put against profits over a 8 year period (Capital Allowance rate of 12.5%). So if you buy a digger for €1,000 you're allowed to offset €125 against your profits each year for 8 years (or until you sell the digger).

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Most purchases of plant & machinery would be considered capital items. Some companies will have a policy of capitalising only items over a certain amount e.g. Items over €500

Hire of machinery would be an admin expense

Purchasing equipment through finance leases/operating leases & hire purchases would also have varying tax and accounting treatments.

Cost of hiring digger = fully tax deductible in year of hire
    Cost of buying digger = 12.5% of cost is tax deductible over next 8 years

• Advertisement
Advertisement