Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

antivirus

Options
  • 25-02-2014 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭

Hi, hope this thread is in correct forum.

I want to use my laptop for purchasing stuff.

I have a free anti-virus program at the moment.

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced anti-virus program that will protect me when purchasing online.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

This gets good writeups. Also it's regularly on sale DealPage.ie

http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/what_anti_virus_program_should_i_use.html

Best of luck.

J

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

JOSman wrote: »
    This gets good writeups. Also it's regularly on sale DealPage.ie

http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/what_anti_virus_program_should_i_use.html

Best of luck.

J

Thanks JOSman, I bought Avast antivirus last night. I was already using Avast free antivirus so I thought it would be easier to upgrade than wiping one and installing another. I am not very techy so went for what I thought was the easier option. Also there was an offer of more than 50% off.

I just wasn't happy with free version and think the peace of mind was worth the 19.99 euro I paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

avast is very good btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Antivirus programs are helpful, but always keep in mind that there's better protection than constant vigilance

Botulism wrote: »
    Antivirus programs are helpful, but always kep in mind that there's better protection substitute for constant vigilance

When you say "vigilance" I understand I can be careful with my laptop and credit card. What other type of vigilance can I improve on?

I would appreciate any info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    When you say "vigilance" I understand I can be careful with my laptop and credit card. What other type of vigilance can I improve on?

I would appreciate any info.
    Always trying to make sure the website you're on is credible and reliable. Not much more to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Thanks JOSman, I bought Avast antivirus last night. I was already using Avast free antivirus so I thought it would be easier to upgrade than wiping one and installing another. I am not very techy so went for what I thought was the easier option. Also there was an offer of more than 50% off.

I just wasn't happy with free version and think the peace of mind was worth the 19.99 euro I paid.

Been using Avast free since 2005...not a single virus.

Don't see why you would buy the retail version.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Been using Avast free since 2005...not a single virus.

Don't see why you would buy the retail version.

As I said, peace of mind. five cent per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

download malwarebytes too

install the browser SRWare Iron, get security extensions like Ghostery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

hi i bought avg ,upgraded from the basic free one,about e38,and its ok,not the best,but alongside my free anti malwayre bytes ,its keeps the little devils at bay,hope this helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement