Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best tent out there?

Options
  • 25-02-2014 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭

I have a Vango Force 10 Mark 5.

It's the cats pyjamas at keeping you the right temperature and dry.

a little bit on the heavy and bilky size tho.

You need at least two people to carry it any sort of distance with food and equipment.

Any other good tents?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

depends how much you can spend the
    Hilleberg Nallo gt2 is fantastic
    or for one man that akto
    exped mage great tents.
    the american tents mostly free standing check out REI for great bargains.
    msr hubba hubba/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB84FkXTbZo.

have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I have a Vango Force 10 Mark 5.

It's the cats pyjamas at keeping you the right temperature and dry.

a little bit on the heavy and bilky size tho.

You need at least two people to carry it any sort of distance with food and equipment.

Any other good tents?

The Vango Force 10 Mark 5 is a classic tent, going by the positive reviews that it has got. It weighs over ten kilos though. That's a lot, even for two people.

I don't know what the best tent might be, but if I had to hazard a guess, I would think along the lines of the mountain tents that have served people well before, maybe brands such as Marmot, Mountain Hardware, North Face.

Unsure if North Face still deserves its previous reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

If you stick with the older well proven Force Ten design (do they have anything to do with vango anymore?) then the lightest two man is the 6.3kg Classic Cotton Nylon Mk3 and if you want a cotton flysheet you always used to be able to buy it as an extra so you had both options depending on conditions.

That would be about the heaviest tent (at 6.3kg) that I'd want to use on a two man camping trip. I'd want sherpas if I had a Mk5 at 10.1kgs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

If you stick with the older well proven Force Ten design (do they have anything to do with vango anymore?) then the lightest two man is the 6.3kg Classic Cotton Nylon Mk3 and if you want a cotton flysheet you always used to be able to buy it as an extra so you had both options depending on conditions.

That would be about the heaviest tent (at 6.3kg) that I'd want to use on a two man camping trip. I'd want sherpas if I had a Mk5 at 10.1kgs :D

I'll weigh it when I get home, but I definitly think it's well under 10kg.

Advertisement