Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get good coal for stove?

Options
  • 25-02-2014 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi lads. Where and what kind of coal are you getting for your stove in Sligo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

I tried just about every different coal going for my stove fire and failed miserably with it all until I tried a bag from pet stop on Sligo Retail Park that worked a treat. Its called Eco Bright or Eco Flame, forget the exact name but its 17 euro a bag and worth every cent in my opinion. It might seem a bit pricey compared to some but there is virtually no ash from it, the heat it throws out is mighty and it stays lit for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭pitero1

whatswhat wrote: »
    I tried just about every different coal going for my stove fire and failed miserably with it all until I tried a bag from pet stop on Sligo Retail Park that worked a treat. Its called Eco Bright or Eco Flame, forget the exact name but its 17 euro a bag and worth every cent in my opinion. It might seem a bit pricey compared to some but there is virtually no ash from it, the heat it throws out is mighty and it stays lit for days.
    You mean that one in green bag? I used it over the christmas and...in my case I have to put oil on fpr an hour otherwise it's taking ages to heats up radiators...thanks for reply:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

There is 2 of them in green bag- eco glow and "regular" coal. I have the glow - good enough but i still find it better to heat with oil as i have only fireplace with back boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Also Connaught Gold in Deepwater key will give 1 bag free with every 10 purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭pitero1

Lads I was burning "columbian" from pet stop...and I'm very sorry for it. My flexi flue had fire soot after 3 weeks of using it!!! Hard to belive but when I pullied out I was nearly cryieng....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

pitero1 wrote: »
    You mean that one in green bag? I used it over the christmas and...in my case I have to put oil on fpr an hour otherwise it's taking ages to heats up radiators...thanks for reply:)

No, its definately a white bag and the coal itself is shaped like cosy glow stuff that Arigna produce. Now from scratch it did take a good few hours to get the radiators up to speed and I did pack the stove to capacity with coal but that done, by turning the stove down low through the day and using 2 shuttles of coal in the evening to top up, it ran 24/7. All the rads stayed luke warm throughout too even on low, so the house didnt get as cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

pitero1 wrote: »
    Lads I was burning "columbian" from pet stop...and I'm very sorry for it. My flexi flue had fire soot after 3 weeks of using it!!! Hard to belive but when I pullied out I was nearly cryieng....

Interesting...I was using columbian for a good while...and noticeably there there very, very little waste, ash or dust left after the fire, obviously the ash/creosote was going up the chimney.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

I use Arigna EcoBrite in my stove (a Charnwood Country 16B MF).

I bought in bulk in September - 50 bags of 20kg each, plus my father-in-law and his brothers all got the same - the 200 bags worked out at around €7.75 a bag (I think it was bought in Beatty's Fuels, Ballinamallard, Co. Fermanagh, but I'm not too sure as my father-in-law did the deal). I still have (I think) 17 bags left, and I've lit the stove practically every day since mid-October.

I also use a bit of Anthracite some evenings, I got 8 bags (40kg each) of that too, but I forget the price of them. There's fierce heat from that, I can't use more than a coal shovel or two at a time, or I'd be afraid of my stove overheating. I don't use it too often, but when I do, I'd put it on later in the evening on top of the EcoBrite and it'll keep great heat in the rads and around the house for hours. Cozy!

The one thing I'd recommend is to shop around, there is great variety in prices, and if you can go in with a neighbor or family member to buy in bulk (and have the storage space, obviously) you'll get better bulk deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Boscod

Anyone know of bulk deal for Ecobrite in Dublin region?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Boscod wrote: »
    Anyone know of bulk deal for Ecobrite in Dublin region?
    Thanks.
    Try the Dublin forum. You're on the Sligo one here!

• Advertisement
Advertisement