Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing email address

Options
  • 25-02-2014 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭

I have moved ISP and I want to change my email address to one provided by my new ISP. The problem is that I have a number of accounts set up that are linked to my old email address.

Is there any simple way of changing these to my new email address or do I have to contact everyone individually? What really brought this home to me was an email I got today from Ryanair about a change in flight time. This was sent to my old email address. There does not appear to be any option on the Ryanair website to change the email address attached to my booking.

If anyone can advise on how to deal with the general issue and how to handle the specific Ryanair issue (I also have flights booked with Aer Lingus under my old email address), I'd be very grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

can you set a rule on your old email to auto forward all email received to your new address? You'll have to change the major services that you use manually - facebook, twitter, boards.... but you always run a risk of having forgotten about something or something from years ago will try to contact you on the old address. Thus, if you can auto forward all email from the old account to the new one it would be preferable. You can do it with gmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

abff wrote: »
    I have moved ISP and I want to change my email address to one provided by my new ISP

Seeing as you're planning to change email addresses, just use one of the well-established mail providers, i.e. Gmail or Outlook.com etc. When you change ISP's you'll just have to go through this process again.

Your ISP may provide you with an email account, but you don't have to use it for anything other than dealing with your ISP (maybe).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I wonder if it's worth the hassle to be honest. The email you have isn't going anywhere and if you change ISPs again it wouldn't be worth the effort doing it all over again. It's only an opinion but I think you may as well stick with what you got. Furthermore, some email providers close accounts that haven't been logged into for a while, so if you forward mail log in every once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

It depends on your old ISP whether you need to change or not. For example, UTV Internet are no longer providing free email to non-customers who have moved elsewhere and old accounts will be shut down very soon AFAIK.
    I don't know if other ISPs do the same, but they could in theory, so you might find yourself shut out without much warning. I think it's best to begin the process of moving to an account like Gmail or GMX while you still have the time to keep checking for 'straggler' emails on your old account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭abff

Teagwee wrote: »
    It depends on your old ISP whether you need to change or not. For example, UTV Internet are no longer providing free email to non-customers who have moved elsewhere and old accounts will be shut down very soon AFAIK.
    I don't know if other ISPs do the same, but they could in theory, so you might find yourself shut out without much warning. I think it's best to begin the process of moving to an account like Gmail or GMX while you still have the time to keep checking for 'straggler' emails on your old account.

That's why I want to change my email address. It's currently with UTV Internet and I moved to eircom quite a while back, but retained my old email address for the reasons mentioned in other responses. However, this caused problems with some intended recipients because there was an inconsistency between my email address and the server from which my email was being sent. I had to use a gmail account to make contact with these recipients.

I'm using Outlook and currently have both email addresses running in tandem. If I send a new email, it goes from my eircom address. If I reply to an email sent to my UTV address, it uses my UTV address. The UTV address will no longer be available from Friday unless I pay an additional subscription to them, which I would prefer not to do. I don't think the option of sending an automatic response advising on my new email address when my old address is contacted is available.

I have already contacted most of my friends telling them my new address and have also changed my address on a number of providers. I haven't been able to figure out how to change my Ryanair bookings so that any notifications of schedule changes will come to my new address. I have a number of flights booked over the next few months and two of them have recently had schedule changes, so I am concerned that there may be others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,740 ✭✭✭abff

I contacted the online helpdesk in Ryanair and they told me how to change the email address. You go into manage my booking, view itinerary and then enter the details and request an email. A box pops up allowing you to change your email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ryan Hare

Reviving an old thread here…

As of 2024, you can't change your email address for a Ryanair account. What you can do is sign out and create a new account with your new email address. Then choose "retrieve my booking" and enter the booking numbers of any flights you've booked, plus the email address you booked them with. They will then show up in your new account.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So you can take over the bookings of anyone else, once you have the booking numbers?

Advertisement