Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use a Pessoa?

• 25-02-2014 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi all,

Any opinions on the pessoa training aid?

What are the benefits compared to just regular lungeing with side reins?

Looks a bit fiddly and you need to know what you're doing with them, but are they beneficial?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

I have the John Whitaker version but they are the same. I have it a good few years, and I can honestly say I love it and would never go back to side reins.

It's brilliant for youngsters in teaching them how to carry themselves and therefore making them more balanced. The pessoa encourages the horse to use its hind which in turn develops a lovely topline & a strong behind. This also encourages the horse to go correctly onto the bit. No more 'U' shaped horses with ironing board necks and bad backs :-)

It's also a great workout for the older schooled horse, especially when they're coming back into work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

definitely prefer it to side reins. I find side reins can make them lock their necks and not work properly through. The pessoa really makes them work from behind. Saying that there seems to be a new preference for the equiami as it keeps a better contact. I've never used one so im not sure how they differ

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Heydeldel

Thanks for that. Looked at the equami there.

Looks good from the video, can really see the horse stepping underneath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Much prefer to side-reins or any form of "head-only" lunging aid if you know what I mean. Bit fiddly in the beginning but once you get used to it not complicated to put on or use. They encourage the horse to use their hindquarters to push from behind and carry themselves correctly working over their back - would highly recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

To echo the above, I like Pessoas too but if used improperly, can be quite destructive in their results.
    For example, if they are not introduced properly, a youngster (or older horse) could easily freak out at the sudden restriction and contact behind their legs and I've heard of some flipping over in an effort to escape it. Also, if both sides are not the same length, the you will have a crooked horse. And thirdly, they're quite exhausting on the horse and over use can turn a horse bitter, never mind the muscle damage.
    But if used correctly, they're a great training aid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭dave66

My daughter uses a Pessoa occassionally and she finds it has really helped the horse. She only uses it for a short lunging session 15-20 mins and the horse is very happy in it. As her horse is good for working in outline anyway, she keeps things fairly loose so that her head is not being forced down. So like sup_dude says, a good training aid if used correctly.

Note: I am not a rider, and offer the above based on my observations and from what I've learned from my daughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

I'd borrow one first! My horse absolutely hates it. He's a calm sane type but a worries a bit underneath and it absolutely terrified him. Tried a few very short sessions with it very loose and it got no better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

I rarely use mine, and yet I wouldn't sell it! Good bit of kit, especially if you need to work a horse that can't be ridden.

Like any piece of tack, it can be abused though. I've never had the need to use mine on anything but the lowest setting.

Advertisement