Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a fair price per square foot for a wood floor?

Options
  • 25-02-2014 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm thinking about getting a wooden floor for my property in Dublin 8 which is 935 square feet. Its over 3 floors and I want it in just about every room in the house.

Can anybody give me a guideline of what's a reasonable price per square foot for this at the moment?

Thanks in advance.

MCS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Solid or semi solid

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mchughs

I would be looking for solid

You can pay anything from 35 up for solid + fitting sq/m
    10 years ago I paid 90 sq/m and it still looks new

Thanks - that's very helpful. My budget is 10k for the entire house so based on your feedback that should do it.

Out of curiosity could you give me an idea what semi solid would cost per sq metre?

You can get it from 22 euro up as far as I know + fitting

• Advertisement

Ok thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

there is no fair price it depends on what material you use and the quality of it. You can easily get it done for 10k but if you so wished you could spend more than that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If getting the entire house done, ensure that there is decent padding under the flooring upstairs, to minimize the footstep noise going downstairs. Also, does the stairs creek much now? It'd be worth getting that sorted now (but sometimes the floorer does that as part of the process).

Yes the stairs are fairly creeky right now. I guess I just assumed a good hardwood floor would sort the issue but that's good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

jsut a personal thing but id think twice about getting the upstairs done OP.

Just in terms of comfort and heat carpets tend to work better in bedrooms tbh.

• Advertisement

It would save me a few bob too - I'm considering this option as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mchughs wrote: »
    Yes the stairs are fairly creeky right now. I guess I just assumed a good hardwood floor would sort the issue but that's good to know.
    Get it sorted first, then. Although a good hardwood will help minimize the creaking, it's best to fix the problem before hand. Look under the stairs, and put a block of wood in the corner. Screw up, and screw across. Then nail down the horizontal part of the stairs to the vertical part. This usually helps with the squeaking. People sometimes put a small amount of self expanding foam between the stairs and the block of wood, to get a firmer grip. Check with the person putting down the stairs if they do this service. Most do, as it saves the customer from having to pull the floorboards at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

Doesn't hard wood laminate look the same is more durable and cheaper.. its about 18 euro a square metre and it 'clicks' together so you can lay the flooring yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property

Yeah I hear what you're saying but from what I gather it will wear and tear a lot faster?

IMO good hardwood is hard to beat and a good quality 1 will always look good (and not cheap like some do)

Advertisement