Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIGS Positives and Negatives

Options
  • 25-02-2014 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

What are the benefits to living in digs near ucd and what is bad about living in digs? Would it suit a final year? I really have no clue about them and was contemplating digs for next year as the on campus place im in now is a party central and its impossible to get a good nights sleep every night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Mr.Fun wrote: »
    party central and its impossible to get a good nights sleep every night

Most ironic username ever :pac:

But seriously, DIGS will be quieter, nearly always cheaper and more than likely more physical room / freedom. Downside is the commute I suppose. I've never lived in either but I'd choose my own rent over on-campus any day based on the feedback of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

Pros - nice, warm clean house, get dinner cooked.

Cons - you've to live under someone else's roof, have to go home at weekends, kind of still like living at home with your mam.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

I tend to stay up every second weekend, so with digs this would not be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

Depends on the digs, but most of the ones I've seen advertised are a family letting out a spare room Sunday - Thursday/Monday - Friday. The SU keeps a list of people offering digs, check it out with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

You'd be better off renting a room in a house with a professional digs are weird its like living with a stranger its completely their space, having your dinner cooked for you what if you don't like the food. Its weird.

• Advertisement

Rachiee wrote: »
    You'd be better off renting a room in a house with a professional digs are weird its like living with a stranger its completely their space, having your dinner cooked for you what if you don't like the food. Its weird.

And would professionals be willing to live with a quiet student?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Some digs offer dinner, others don't, so if you could find yourself somewhere where you'll have use of the kitchen it'd be better and have more freedom than having to come home at 'dinner time'. You'd be able to stay up every second weekend in some digs, but you'd have to ask if it was possible.

I'd say you'd be hard pressed to find a professional to stay with a student. And just because they're professional doesn't mean they'd be quiet.

Would there be digs available where there isnt a family but maybe a single person who is looking to rent out a room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Would there be digs available where there isnt a family but maybe a single person who is looking to rent out a room?

Yea a lot of the time it's just people with grown up children living on ther own who offer digs

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Vorophobe

why don't you just rent somewhere then? just look on daft.ie under "sharing"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

And would professionals be willing to live with a quiet student?

Any professional in a position worth talking about is probably ran off their feet Mon to Friday anyway so a party life is not on.

Advertisement