Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iZombie [The CW] [** Spoilers **]

• 25-02-2014 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭

Rob Thomas's DC comic adaptation has cast David Anders has the villain according to Deadline

Eliza Dushku should try for the lead as the premise is similar to her show Tru Calling :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

CW has picked up to series

ZOMBIE: A med student-turned-zombie takes a job in the coroner’s office to gain access to the brains she must reluctantly eat to maintain her humanity, but with each brain she consumes, she inherits the corpse’s memories. With the help of her medical examiner boss and a police detective, she solves homicide cases in order to quiet the disturbing voices in her head. Based on the characters created by Chris Roberson and Michael Allred, and published by DC Comics’ Vertigo imprint. Cast: Rose McIver (Liv).

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/08/be...ast-the-flash/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

looking forward to this :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

This sounds so weird and possibly awful but... it actually sounds like the best of the 4 shows The CW has picked up for next year. :)

I like Rose McIvor, she was briefly on Once Upon A Time as Tinkerbell and was one of the few good things about The Lovely Bones.

The CW seems to be attempting to move away from the purely teen focus of their shows, or at least not having all their shows populated by "teens". Who knows, maybe it'll be good. The 100 sounded like the worst show ever on paper but has turned out to be one of my favourite shows right now, so maybe they're on a roll with shows that sound terrible but are actually quite good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,312 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I found out recently, seeing it on Kix, that Rose was the Yellow RPM Ranger. :)

As someone else said, it sounds a bit like Tru Calling, minus the time travel.

But Rob Thomas helps sell it to me anyway.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I found out recently, seeing it on Kix, that Rose was the Yellow RPM Ranger. :)

As someone else said, it sounds a bit like Tru Calling, minus the time travel.

But Rob Thomas helps sell it to me anyway.

Heath Braxton from Home and Away used to be a Power Ranger too, I wonder were they on at the same time?

• Advertisement

Yep, he was the Black Ranger in it.

Must start reading the comics this is based on, though supposedly the synopsis implies it's very loosely based on it.

• Advertisement

mafaa wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the girl that she's replaced was recast on another TV show a few years ago after being on it for a full season. That's gotta suck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Premieres Tuesday, 17th March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Zombie is the new vampire.

The mid season show debuting in March last year was The 100 and it turned out to be the best show the CW has had for years, maybe ever. So maybe this is worth checking out

Rob Thomas is making it so if its anywhere as self aware as Veronica Mars it really could be a treat to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Looks awful. It's pretty typical for American TV though. Take your typical teen drama and wrap it in something popular but ignore everything about the popular thing and just use it as a backdrop to your teen drama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

premiered last night, must say it was pretty good, much better than what i thought it would be, definitely be watching more, i like the coy sense of humour in it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Is this a spin off of that really good film think its boy eats girl, could be off with the name, sort of same concept for alot of parts enjoyed the first episode thought it was good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

i thought this was a teens show too because she looks like a emo teenager but its not,very similar to veronica mars though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Looks like The CW are on to yet another winner... I thoroughly enjoyed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Loved it too. Very very good. Outside of the case of the week stories, I can't wait to see where they go with the bigger zombie origin story (zombie drug, David Anders etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭andala

I actually liked it more than I expected. When I heard about the show I wasn't too keen on it because of all other zombie shows but this one is definitely different and I'll be sticking with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭Melodeon

I quite liked the "Cagney & Pasty" and "Dirty Debbie Harry" lines :)

I think CW is the network that I watch most series for - Supernatural, Flash, Arrow, 100 and now this.

Really liked the first episode and deinitely gonna keep watching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think CW is the network that I watch most series for - Supernatural, Flash, Arrow, 100 and now this.

It just seems like the guy in charge of The CW these past 2 seasons has his finger on the pulse and actually listens to the fans - for years the execs kept trying to aim the network at females 18-35 and it clearly wasn't working, and when Mark Pedowitz took over he just said "Supernatural and Arrow are easily the most popular shows, so we should do more of that sorta stuff and just aim for an adults 18-35 rather than gender specific demographic"...

Plus he has expressed interest in doing another Star Trek Spin-Off, so the guy is kinda a hero.

• Advertisement

Just watched it there now. I'm not 100% sold. I like Rose McIver anyway and Liv seems likable enough. Not sure about the constant voice over, is that going to be a permanent thing? Case of the week shows can get pretty boring too. If there's an overarching story line though maybe it'll be fine. I know it was only the pilot and they barely had any screen time but I'm not sure I care for any of her family/friends. I could never get into Veronica Mars, I kind of hated it, to be honest, so I hope the comparisons are few and far between.

All in all I'd say I liked it enough to watch more but not so much that I'm counting the days until the next episode.
    It just seems like the guy in charge of The CW these past 2 seasons has his finger on the pulse and actually listens to the fans - for years the execs kept trying to aim the network at females 18-35 and it clearly wasn't working, and when Mark Pedowitz took over he just said "Supernatural and Arrow are easily the most popular shows, so we should do more of that sorta stuff and just aim for an adults 18-35 rather than gender specific demographic"...

Plus he has expressed interest in doing another Star Trek Spin-Off, so the guy is kinda a hero.

I'm not disagreeing with you but it's insulting to suggest the rubbish they were putting out for years was aimed at that specific demographic. Most of what they were showing was, at best, suitable for 14-16 year olds. Teen drama, while all very real when you're a teen, is not something that anyone over the age of about 20 should be entertained by. If they thought they were making content for women up to the age of 35 they must not have been doing any research at all. I know they don't break the demographics up that specifically, they're very vague and wide ranging but yeah... I'm losing my train of thought here..... basically, for the first time since they relaunched as The CW they've actually got some pretty decent shows aimed at the age group they claimed to be aiming at all along, if not the specific gender.

I think Nikita deserves some credit for this change of pace too. It didn't last long but it was the first decent show they had on for ages and was way more adult in it's content than the other shows they were showing at the time.

Funny too that the only show I never hear anyone mention when talking about the new and improved CW is the one that won it a Golden Globe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I really enjoyed that one. A new take on an old genre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

David Anders playing a zombie again after the excellent film The Revenant

Enjoyed the second episode just as much as the first. David Anders is brilliant - think he could take on a Spike (Buffy The Vampire Slayer) type role...

another top episode, looks like we might have another good CW shows on our to watch list, their on a roll,

loved when liv was eyeing up yerone, she looked like she wanted to take her there and then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

"Just tell me what colour shirt he is wearing"
    "Cerulean" :)

Didn't expect them to go that direction with David Anders' character. I thought he'd be the brooding big bad guy who would pop up every few episodes. Looks like he is having a blast with that role.

• Advertisement

Watched the 2nd episode there. I'm not really feeling it. There are a few elements I like but there seem to be more that bother me. I will try and give it the old 4 episode try but so far it's not grabbing me.

I do like Liv and her boss, Robbie is it? The zombie side of things seems more interesting to me but unfortunately that seems to be the B plot each week and the case of the week is taking the A plot. Also all the humans, bar Robbie, are pretty bland to me.

Something else I noticed is it's all men? I know it's based on a comic or graphic novel and so they probably lifted the characters straight from that but other than Liv's roommate, who has had maybe 2 minutes of screen time over 2 episodes and is, as far as I know, only a "guest star" Liv is the only female. The other main characters, boss, detective, other zombie and ex fiancee are all men. I'm not looking to burn bras or anything here but would it have been so hard to have a second female character in the main cast?

Sure when you look at the series this is mostly compared to being from the same guy, Rob Thomas, Veronica Mars was pretty much 1 girl surrounded by all guys until Tina Majorino came into it. And it's only now I realised that. I guess as long as she's a main character and not of the damsel in distress type, then it's not as obvious.
    Think the roommate is main cast and after what happened in this episode I'd say we'll see less of Major.

Speaking of, who names their kid Major? And is he better than Captain Awesome?

So I think Episode 1 was to set up the premise, episode 2 introduced Zombie Anders, so going forward I'd say we'll see more of Liv's personal life(death?)

Sure when you look at the series this is mostly compared to being from the same guy, Rob Thomas, Veronica Mars was pretty much 1 girl surrounded by all guys until Tina Majorino came into it. And it's only now I realised that. I guess as long as she's a main character and not of the damsel in distress type, then it's not as obvious.
    Think the roommate is main cast and after what happened in this episode I'd say we'll see less of Major.

So I think Episode 1 was to set up the premise, episode 2 introduced Zombie Anders, so going forward I'd say we'll see more of Liv's personal life(death?)

No one is better than Captain Awesome... He is a God!

Devon-Woodcomb-captain-awesome-32086512-500-281.png

What it actually reminds me of, in more ways than one, is Tru Calling, if anyone remembers that? Eliza Dushku played Tru and she worked in a morgue and would relive days when she touched murder victims... or something like that. Anyway, she was surrounded by guys except for her "best friend" who never really had anything to do in any of the episodes.

Again, I'm not looking to burn bras or anything and it's great to have a well developed woman as a lead character, assuming Liv is well developed, but it's nice to have female relationships explored on screen too. Obviously it's only been two episodes so it may be too soon to say whether the room mate will have more to do but it doesn't look like it.

Looks like she was willing to explore a female relationship on that couch when they were talking to the wife. :p

• Advertisement

when i look at either zombie, im wondering what its like to wear that much make-up, whats it like when they sweat

when i look at either zombie, im wondering what its like to wear that much make-up, whats it like when they sweat

How long they have to be in makeup before shooting starts and what time does that mean they have to wake up at in the morning?

this is noting compared to other shows, imagine a star trek alien, theyd take 6 hours sometimes,

the theme tune is the second half of a great song, 'Stop I'm already Dead' by the the Deadmen and the Elephantmen, looked them up and listening to them on Spotify they are like a grungier White Stripes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I'm a few episodes into this and enjoying it well enough. I love Rob Thomas and Veronica Mars is probably my favourite tv show ever. It has little things in common with VM (voiceover) but it's a very different feel.

Few criticisms:
    The makeup is a little distracting. Liz just looks really unwell most of the time and it might sound mad but I think the lack of definition and normal colour in her face and mouth stifles her expressions a bit and makes the acting less effective.

Jumping right into taking on the character traits of her donors is a nice plot device and is obviously meant to broaden Liz' horizons and experience of life but it's hard to differentiate between what Liz would do and what the donor would do when you barely know Liz in the first place.

Major and Liz: There is zero chemistry there. She had more chemistry with
    that mistress of the dead painter
    and that was for comedic effect.

It has its moments and some nice lines. I like her colleague and Babineau. As someone mentioned, there's a decent Spike-esque villian who is good fun.

I enjoy it but I'm not desperate to watch each episode, if you know what I mean.

A really good episode this week.

I really hope
    Ravi doesn't become a Zombie though I did like it came as a total surprise and I wasn't expecting it.

Renewed for Season 2... http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/05/06/izombie-renewed-by-the-cw-for-second-season/400376/

Brilliant news. It's really picking up now, and falling into the Must See TV category for me...

Was a strange use for Erica Cerra this week, since only really heard her voice. And took me a while to recognise Chief Tyrol.

And took me a while to recognise Chief Tyrol.

Yeah it took me a few minutes to twig who he was. He looks very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Was a strange use for Erica Cerra this week, since only really heard her voice. And took me a while to recognise Chief Tyrol.
    It's only reading this I knew he was in the episode. Wow, he looks incredibly different.

Enjoyed the most recent ep.

• Advertisement
Advertisement