Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your first road trip!

• 25-02-2014 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

So,

Ive been riding a year and a bit now. Thinking about heading down to Limerick during the next week just for a few days. Just wondering what our your thoughts ?

Ive never really driven over an hour on a bike so Im not really sure what its going to be like and if Ill enjoy it although Ive wanted to do something like it for a while. I wouldnt be going on the motor ways would probably use the national roads.

Is there anything that I should bring/plan for ?

Also what was your first long-distance road trip

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

I did Dublin to Sligo last Halloween, probably on the bike about 7 months. Horrendous weather! I learned the limitations of my "waterproof" textile trousers. Also my "waterproof", "winter" gloves didn't really hold up and I had great difficulty getting coins out for the toll on the way home, didn't give a crap about holding up a few cars, I really couldn't move my fingers!

My commute is only about 20 mins and any spin would have been around the hour mark so this was something new for me. Especially on a Fri night after work.

I'd say expect to get uncomfortable on the bike, I found my neck got awful tired on the way back from the wind in my face. And the arse got fairly numb ha. I'd say I probably didn't enjoy it a whole lot but glad of the experience. I'm sure half decent weather would have tipped it the other way. It was still great to get out for a real long trip and I felt I learned a lot more about the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Go out on a few sunday spins with the lads from here, they last anywhere from 2 to 12 hours (no Joke). During the summer I have often left my house at 9am and got home that night at the same time.....the craic was mental.

But it will get you used to being in the "saddle" for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Its great in good weather.
    This time of year wrap up warm. When you think your warm enough put some more on.

If you don't have some seriously warm gloves get some. The worst bit of your body to get cold is your hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Advice, wait for the weather to change or it'll break your bloody heart and there's no pleasure in riding wet & cold.

Plus unless you've something in mind for Limerick its a dull enough journey, however Limerick has some GREAT bars :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

When I was about 18 I drove an nsr 80 back from limerick to kildare in the freezing cold and pissin rain. It was bloody horrible! Made Worse by the fact my mates were in a nice warm car driving with me..... ah man that Wasn't a good night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Sligo to Mullaghmore. A distance of about 26km. Felt like an epic trip to a 16 year old me on the moped I'd bought the week before.

What a summer that was!

M450 wrote: »
    I'd say expect to get uncomfortable on the bike, I found my neck got awful tired on the way back from the wind in my face. And the arse got fairly numb ha. I'd say I probably didn't enjoy it a whole lot but glad of the experience. I'm sure half decent weather would have tipped it the other way. It was still great to get out for a real long trip and I felt I learned a lot more about the bike.
    Hugely dependant on the bike. I do that trip and return the same evening quite regularly during the league of Ireland season. Was slightly uncomfortable on the last bike I had but the current one you'd barely notice it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

As the lads say plenty of layers and proper wet gear. Muffs are brilliant for warmth and keeping your gloves dry. And you don't have to do it in one go! Stop for coffee when you start feeling uncomfortable, the most enjoyable coffee I've ever had was from a shítty spar in blanch after driving through the rain for the whole day, I must have put six sugars in and it tasted like muck but jesus it hit the spot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Go out on a few sunday spins with the lads from here, they last anywhere from 2 to 12 hours (no Joke). During the summer I have often left my house at 9am and got home that night at the same time.....the craic was mental.

But it will get you used to being in the "saddle" for a while.

Oh yeh ? Were do I find out about them ? Wouldnt mind meeting up with a few like minded folk! Most of my friends dont ride so I dont really have a chance to chat to anybody about them!
    AgileMyth wrote: »
    Hugely dependant on the bike. I do that trip and return the same evening quite regularly during the league of Ireland season. Was slightly uncomfortable on the last bike I had but the current one you'd barely notice it.

well id be doing it on a CB250 nighthawk. I only bought it about two weeks ago, Im just eager to do something like this! fed up of sitting around at home and blowing my 20s away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I find after an hour or so on the bike I start to feel a bit numb so stop for fuel and something to drink. The more long runs you do the more distance you'll be able to cover without breaks.

Don't forget ear plugs.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    I find after an hour or so on the bike I start to feel a bit numb so stop for fuel and something to drink. The more long runs you do the more distance you'll be able to cover without breaks.

Don't forget ear plugs.

An hour!!!! Are you serious....lol.

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Oh yeh ? Were do I find out about them ? Wouldnt mind meeting up with a few like minded folk! Most of my friends dont ride so I dont really have a chance to chat to anybody about them!

well id be doing it on a CB250 nighthawk. I only bought it about two weeks ago, Im just eager to do something like this! fed up of sitting around at home and blowing my 20s away!

There are Sunday spins every week, not always people off here but are open to everyone who just wants to shoot the breeze with no egos and have fun while learning. Where would you be coming from I can put you in touch with lads from your direction?

There are Sunday spins every week, not always people off here but are open to everyone who just wants to shoot the breeze with no egos and have fun while learning. Where would you be coming from I can put you in touch with lads from your direction?

Would be heading from blanch. Need to find out if Im working this sunday or not. Should find out this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

My first long spin was London to Yorkshire on a naked moped at 16, took two days to get there and to this day I don’t remember the return journey. It put me off bikes for 15 years! So make sure you have the right gear, cause if you're cold wet and miserable you're not going to enjoy it and won't want to repeat it.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

If you're not used to distance riding my advice is to stop off at garages etc., when you can for a coffee & a smoke.

You'll be amazed how much the simple things will lift the spirits when you're cold & damp.

Good luck with your venture, it's not an endurance test, so enjoy the ride, the road awaits ;)

Would be heading from blanch. Need to find out if Im working this sunday or not. Should find out this evening.

Ahh no probs....we have 2 lads in ashbourne and two in Navan so a short spin into Navan to meet up and on out the usual roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

An hour!!!! Are you serious....lol.

My tank is only good for about that range and regardless I'm long past the point of putting myself in danger unnecessarily. Once you start getting uncomfortable or tired you need to stop.

Managed to make the guts of 1000km in a day stopping every hour or so.

Del2005 wrote: »
    My tank is only good for about that range and regardless I'm long past the point of putting myself in danger unnecessarily. Once you start getting uncomfortable or tired you need to stop.

Managed to make the guts of 1000km in a day stopping every hour or so.

Was not having a pop at you, relax. I was just thinking it would take an age on a long trip to arrive......and how is driving for more then an hour dangerous? Everyone has different fatigue levels and different fitness levels.

If you are uncomfortable and tired that's different, and very different things too. Some lads are uncomfortable on super sports bikes after 30mins.

Don't expect to be too comfortable so but its doable at the same time. A 250 will keep up with traffic for the most part. The one problem you will find is when you're sitting behind someone whos just going slightly slower than you'd like, you won't have the extra power to get past.

Can't see any reason not to go for it. Why Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Good gear is important like the guys all say. Stop when you feel the need to. There's only a few lay-way spots on the M7 and those are all near Limerick. If you feel the need then pull into one of the many towns 5 mins off the motorway then hop back on when you're ready.

I'd advise against wearing jeans under your waterproofs. Something comfy like track suit bottoms will save your ass!

Regards the tolls, there's only one in Portlaoise unless you're planning on going all the way around Limerick city and taking the tunnel. Sellotape some coins somewhere on your bike then hand the coins over, sellotape and all :). Sellotape under the coins as well to prevent scraping paint and place them somewhere that won't catch too much wind.

• Advertisement

Ahh no probs....we have 2 lads in ashbourne and two in Navan so a short spin into Navan to meet up and on out the usual roads.

Cool cool! And where do yous normally head or does it depend ? Kinda limited with the provisional and no motorways etc.

Ermm Limrick! Have a friend down there in college who I havnt visited since he started and that was 4 years ago! haha! Just too get away as well!

The coin thing is brilliant advice don! dont think ill be using the motorway though was look at the N54 I think it is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

Last year I headed for bikefest in Killarney from Galway late on the friday evening (my first spin longer than 30 mins), I had the gear packed and ready to go earlier during the week but changed my mind...but the sun was splitting the rocks on the friday so i just went for it on my trusty little gsx 400... about 2 hours into the ride though i started to wonder why the bike was vibrating so bad... turned out it was me, not the bike, i was bloody freezing and didnt even know it! The importance of correct gear was underestimated by me, instead of going for the correct gear, i went for the cool gear... that lesson was fast learned, that being said, its amazing what a difference a newspaper tucked inside the front of the jacked can make.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Try and make it interesting, for example do Edenderry-Tullamore-Birr-Portumna and down the far side of Lough Derg, rather than shadowing the M7. The 250 would be well able for those roads, and plenty of places to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

my first road trip, 8 week, 12000km

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=198267

Second road trip, Galway to Sligo, mayo inc a 10 day stay in Sligo general, but that another story altogether.............

Advertisement