Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Questions - Meet Tunney MOD WARNING POST 1

Options
  • 25-02-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

Previous threads of this series are:
    Kurt Godel
    littlemsfickle
    BTH
    Green&Red
    Catzweazle
    Dory
    Oryx
    RQ
    Fazz
    Bambaata
    pgibbo
    AKW
    shotgunmcos
    peter kern
    zico10
    joey100
    Couerdelion

So my week is over and I was struggling to find anyone to pick up the baton - Tunney kindly volunteered and I gratefully accepted :)

So I'll start it off -

What's your sporting/triathlon background?

Best ever race (a) from a personal point of view and (b) from a results perspective

Worst ever race (as above)

Favourite Irish Triathlon?

Perfect day, perfect accurate course, 6 months of consistent training - how fast can you go?

MOD WARNING Just a friendly preemptive warning here. Any talk or questions which relate to a poster who has recently closed his account, or his charity work, or similar leading questions, will automatically result in a ban. There will be no second chances. And it won't be a short two day ban either. BTH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Most annoying thing about triathlon? Most annoying thing about triathletes?

Who do you dislike the most- ITU, WTC, Challenge (or other)?

Given the recent rise in the popularity of triathlon, how soon do you foresee the fall happening? Is it already taking place? What, if anything, do you see taking its place?

Perfect day, perfect smooth wall, 6 accurate riflemen- who would be the first 3 people you put against the wall?

What is your favourite movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Well the last one was a great read so hopefully the 2nd edition is as good. I think the last one was around when Eoin was born so things have changed since then in the Tunney household.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Triathlon means having loads of gear. Do you think people spend too much time & money on toys instead of getting stuck in? Do you discourage people spending time and money on unnecessary toys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I know everything apart from, have you ever painted your toenails? :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What's your favourite flavour of crisps?
    How much training are you doing at the moment?
    You say you're going to start concentrating on running after Frankfurt. Have you any run goals set out?
    How good do you think you can be accross 5k/10k/half marathon/full marathon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey!!! That's MY question!!

But if so, what color??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

So I'll start it off -

What's your sporting/triathlon background?

None really. I was played rugby for 6 years in secondary school but only because everyone had to. I was brutal. Played hurling and gaa from 6-10 but again was brutal. Did nothing until early 20s and went back playing with the small ball. I was still sh1t. But I stuck with it and went from fatty to fitty in no small part to the physical trainer that was brought in for the seniors. Mick Dowling. He was all into the running and it rubbed off and I did my first race in about 2001/2002 (ish) a 49 minute 10km and I was chuffed. Stuck with it, got injured, fell into tri, learnt to swim and loved it.
    Best ever race (a) from a personal point of view and (b) from a results perspective
    (a)Lisboa International Half Ironman (4:11). Everything came together. Good travelling group, good room mate, good on course support (thanks Mr Kerns), all came together we the best performance I've ever put together.
    (b) Garadice Lake Sprint tri - one of the handful of races I have won. But this one is 10km from the wife's homeplace so was like a home race.
    Worst ever race (as above)
    (a)Carna Olympic distance. No sleep the night before, freezing cold, huge swell and high high winds (would have been outright cancelled these days). Freezing cold got to 5km on the bike passed my car and thought "My car is just there, I'm cold" Stopped/
    (b) Dunno lots of bad results but usually enjoy races.
    Favourite Irish Triathlon?
    DCT or Kilkee.
    Also love Camlough Sprint tri.
    Perfect day, perfect accurate course, 6 months of consistent training - how fast can you go?
    What distance?

MOD WARNING Just a friendly preemptive warning here. Any talk or questions which relate to a poster who has recently closed his account, or his charity work, or similar leading questions, will automatically result in a ban. There will be no second chances. And it won't be a short two day ban either. BTH

Ahhhh a mod warning on the first post. Seems about right for the last few years
    MrCreosote wrote: »
    Most annoying thing about triathlon?

Triathletes
    Most annoying thing about triathletes?
    Most, not all, forget that on race day its not all about themselves.
    Who do you dislike the most- ITU, WTC, Challenge (or other)?

I like Challenge.
    I like WTC.
    I'm indifferent to ITU.
    Given the recent rise in the popularity of triathlon, how soon do you foresee the fall happening? Is it already taking place? What, if anything, do you see taking its place?

I think it has peaked in terms of the number of people treating it as a long term sport. I think it has a few years left with the bucket list "Team in Training" type of person. I think the "Adventure Racing" and pufter cross country (Hell and Back etc) will be flashes in the pan and then back to marathons. Its all a cyclical thing. Tri was big big in the 80s, then 00s, it will go but be back.
    Perfect day, perfect smooth wall, 6 accurate riflemen- who would be the first 3 peyople you put against the wall?
    Bertie Ahern, Enda Kenny, Jean Claude Trichet
    What is your favourite movie?

The Lego Movie is my recent favourite.
    Starship Troopers and the Matrix I liked too.
    ray o wrote: »
    Triathlon means having loads of gear. Do you think people spend too much time & money on toys instead of getting stuck in?
    Yes. Its not about the bike. A friend came over from the UK, raced a duathlon on my old road bike with box wheels and spanked a load of guys on the latest and greatest bikes with the best of wheels. Its the engine and thats it. I do think however some tools can help build the engine but it depends on the person.
    ray o wrote: »
    Do you discourage people spending time and money on unnecessary toys?

I'll always tell people to get PT paddles and a good pull buoy, and get professional fitted by a good shoe store. After that you don't need much at all. (Yes I have lots of gadgets - I always have even before sports, thats more a reflection on my background than anything else)

I have not painted them. They have been painted for me though.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hey!!! That's MY question!!

But if so, what color??? :)

A glittery pink, water soluble as they belonged to a three year old girl.
    What's your favourite flavour of crisps?
    How much training are you doing at the moment?
    You say you're going to start concentrating on running after Frankfurt. Have you any run goals set out?
    How good do you think you can be accross 5k/10k/half marathon/full marathon?

Monster Munch.
    Not much. Very little really. No cycling, little swimming and a bit of running. Its not to late to save Frankfurt though.
    Concentrating on running...... I was thinking this and then I was told I was concentrating on running. Nothing related to the cvnt thread but more she knows I'm overwhelmed by trying to get back into shape in three sports. Particularly the bike.
    Goals - yes waddle around DCM in 2014. Maybe Rotterdam in 2015 with DCM as well but with a big push for the 5ks and 10ks over the summer. Rejoin a running club in 2015 too. 2016 two more big marathons. I'll still dabble in triathlon and do a few a year but WTC and Challenge won't be getting a sniff of it.

Present pbs are 16:30 for a 5km, 34 for a 10km, 56 for a ten miler, never raced a half nor a marathon (although done both way back)

I think with a 12 month lead in I could do a little better in those three. I had gotten my distance running in order a few years back (43km in 3:05 before work was my Thursday runs, then run at lunch and run home and have no aches the next day). I'd like to get back to that but thats a LONG journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

tunney wrote: »
    What distance?

I guess 140.6 as that's your main aim this season(?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hello again Tunney. :)

I assume you've done a full iron distance race, so...a) how many have you done, and b) what was your best time, including splits?

It appears you don't race much these days, but when you did, would you say your ace in the hole was your mental strength or physical strength?

Did/do you have any pre-race/race superstitions or rituals?

You mention a Mr. Kerns above - is that Peter Kern? If so, did he coach you? If not, did he coach you?

You do a little coaching yourself - do you coach triathletes exclusively?

How many of those you coach have seen the inside of your shed?

Are male and female athletes equal with regard to your approach/time/needs in training? Or does one gender require a little more handholding than the other?

Which Disney character best represents who you are, and why?

Have you any tattoos? If so, how many, where, and what?

What do you feel is your best attribute? And what do you feel is your worst attribute?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

tunney wrote: »
    the physical trainer that was brought in for the seniors. Mick Dowling. ...
    Rejoin a running club in 2015 too.

Sportsworld, or somewhere more local?

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Sportsworld, or somewhere more local?

I never ran with Sportsworld, was always seen locally as "the womens club". Ran with Rathfarnham, moved Northside, still ran with them for a bit just logistically too difficult. The Man with the Tan has been trying for years to get me to join Clonliffe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Hello Tunney,

1. On the 400TT thread you jumped from 7:04 to 6:09 in a month. That's pretty phenomenal- what was different between the two tests?

2. You can have three toys in your swim kit bag- what would they be?

3. What rule changes would you make to Tri in Ireland?

4. Sub 2:40 marathon and shiny finishers medal, or podium Tri finish with proper medal? Would your answer change if your kids were spectating?

5. You keep mentioning your weight recently- any interest in distance OW swimming?

6. I've never met you, but have met a lot of other Boardies who know you, they all say you're a nice guy. Do you try purposely to come across as a bit cranky online?;)

Thanks!

Hello again Tunney. :)

I assume you've done a full iron distance race, so...a) how many have you done, and b) what was your best time, including splits?

Started four, finished three (Austria, Austria, Frankfurt, Roth)
    IM Austria 2010 01:06:30, 4:58, 3:36
    It appears you don't race much these days, but when you did, would you say your ace in the hole was your mental strength or physical strength?

Consistency in training being the main thing.
    Physically I am nerd, a book worm, in my childhood I rathered reading a book than playing or watching football. So certainly not physical
    Did/do you have any pre-race/race superstitions or rituals?
    You mention a Mr. Kerns above - is that Peter Kern? If so, did he coach you? If not, did he coach you?

Yes it is the Germaninator. No he didn't coach me. He was in Lisbon supporting one of his athletes. Believe it or not Peter and myself are friends in the flesh and I'd happily spent a night drinking pints with him.

I've only ever had one coach, albeit for a long time - Rich Brady. He was a full time coach in an academy in the UK and working a Bermudian Olympic triathlete when I started working with him, he then moved onto his own coaching business for a bit before moving to the Welsh Tri Association High performance squad. Sound bloke, his outlook on life was inspiring.
    You do a little coaching yourself - do you coach triathletes exclusively?

Mostly, I do do some running work as well but I prefer triathlon. Running is much much simpler. Run lots, some fast, eat less.
    How many of those you coach have seen the inside of your shed?

Any ones that needed to (not all but anyone who I felt needed to learn to suffer properly in FTP tests, who needed bike repairs done before big races, or who needed bike fits).
    Are male and female athletes equal with regard to your approach/time/needs in training? Or does one gender require a little more handholding than the other?

I have worked mostly with guys. Two women. One didn't last too long too due to linger effects of a severe injury (broken back). One, well lets she how er go there.

No. I don't think one gender necessitates more handholding. Some people are just very very needy and need constant validation and approval. I don't generally like working with people who are ALWAYS like that although everyone is from time to time.

The way its worked is everyone I've coached only three have ever left me, those have been with me a good while I consider good friends.

I don't make any money out of it but I do learn alot about people and I like that.
    Which Disney character best represents who you are, and why?
    Stitch - cause I am so cute and fluffy
    Have you any tattoos? If so, how many, where, and what?

You don't put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari
    What do you feel is your best attribute? And what do you feel is your worst attribute?

Ability to remember and recall things I read.
    Inability to remember what I did yesterday

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Hello Tunney,

1. On the 400TT thread you jumped from 7:04 to 6:09 in a month. That's pretty phenomenal- what was different between the two tests?

I swam once a week. The first test was done off nothing, second a little time in the water.
    2. You can have three toys in your swim kit bag- what would they be?
    PT-paddles
    Band
    Buoy
    3. What rule changes would you make to Tri in Ireland?

Grades of licences
    4. Sub 2:40 marathon and shiny finishers medal, or podium Tri finish with proper medal? Would your answer change if your kids were spectating?

2:40 marathon, these days with so many races on its just a matter of picking the race and away you go (okay not quite that easy but..... )
    5. You keep mentioning your weight recently- any interest in distance OW swimming?

Ultimately I am a runner, and I like being lean. I am doing Frankfurt this year and I will not look out of place. I will be high ten stone or at worst very low 11 stone.
    6. I've never met you, but have met a lot of other Boardies who know you, they all say you're a nice guy. Do you try purposely to come across as a bit cranky online?;)

Thanks!

Nah I'm just excellent at being two faced in person.

1.Why do you think you come across as such a dick online sometimes compared to in real life, why do you set yourself up as the bad guy all the time:)
    2. How many times did you look over your shoulder in Roth on the run and think, fvk the hobbit is coming for me.:pac:
    3. Do you believe you have gone soft now that you are essentially untrained. I am talking, in particular about avoidance of the really tough turbo sessions.

1.Why do you think you come across as such a dick online sometimes compared to in real life, why do you set yourself up as the bad guy all the time:)

The people I meet in real life and who supposedly think I am not a dick. Do my online comments to and about them change in any way to what I say in person?
    2. How many times did you look over your shoulder in Roth on the run and think, fvk the hobbit is coming for me.:pac:
    I had calculated the km that you should have passed me on, paced on both race places and my divergence from mine. You *should* have passed me at 8km. I was watching from 4km and by 21km I knew something had happened. I think you are wrong in the "fvk the hobbit is coming for me". I *wanted* you to pass me. I was upset and disappointed when you didn't.
    3. Do you believe you have gone soft now that you are essentially untrained. I am talking, in particular about avoidance of the really tough turbo sessions.

Yes. I am mentally and physically untrained.

How long can you plank after reading this.

How long can you hold 400 watts after reading this

How long can you run at 3.20km pace after reading this

How many press ups can you do after reading this.

Please report back when all of the above is complete , thank you:)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

As a coach, what is the best trait a wannabe triathlete can bring to their training?
    What is the worst trait?
    Why are you and your family constantly sick?
    Do you feel your online grumpiness is a safety valve for the real life you?
    What one thing have you done in life that you would go back and undo if you could?
    Have you ever impersonated a cartoon character for your kids, and if so, which one?
    Can you dance when sober?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

How long can you plank after reading this.

How long can you hold 400 watts after reading this

How long can you run at 3.20km pace after reading this

How many press ups can you do after reading this.

Please report back when all of the above is complete , thank you:)

and mcos hasn't even gotten here yet. you'll be FF ready by sunday at this rate

Oryx wrote: »
    As a coach, what is the best trait a wannabe triathlete can bring to their training?
    Commitment.
    What is the worst trait?
    Impatience
    Why are you and your family constantly sick?
    A good question. Got the families receipt from the GP for 2013. Glenda wasn't there once so really it must somehow be my fault.
    Do you feel your online grumpiness is a safety valve for the real life you?

Or I could just be grumpy :)
    What one thing have you done in life that you would go back and undo if you could?

Buying our house
    Have you ever impersonated a cartoon character for your kids, and if so, which one?

Not a specific character no, but I do tend to impersonate robots, dinosaurs and aliens alot. Oh wait - Kung Fu Panda, impersonated that one for a while!
    Can you dance when sober?

Does the "Hot Dog Dance" count?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Following on from Oryx, when was the last time you went out on a session and didn't need to have a nap in public?

if one of the people you coached got to kona, would you go?
    any bucket list race?
    Is triathlon a proper example of a polarised sport, those at one end who want to do it just to say they did one, (people walking down the shallow part of the river in the swim leg in athy last year), and those who take it very seriously, changing their lifestyle to fit it in. is it a sport that allows something in the middle?
    do you ever run or bike now just for the love of it? or does everything need to have a purpose?

AKW wrote: »
    Following on from Oryx, when was the last time you went out on a session and didn't need to have a nap in public?

Second February

AKW wrote: »

define session.

this
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeYSGfQ_VnCo7YXlx-BwYSpN-Qy2lfHpbSmb4D76OXuVVPF2-w

or this

How-long-does-alcohol-stay-in-your-system2.jpg

it may be the same answer for both? :D

mossym wrote: »
    if one of the people you coached got to kona, would you go?
    Nope. Pi$$es my mates off who have been or would kill to go but I don't rate Kona that highly - roll downs and lottery degrade its worth. Not a complete joke like Worlds and Euros and I can respect Kona as a goal but I don't get excited about it. It would be great craic to do but perhaps thats me just imaging hot birds in suspenders in the under pants run.
    any bucket list race?
    IM Austria, Challenge Roth, IM Lanza, London Marathon, NYC marathon, Boston Marathon, Norseman.
    Is triathlon a proper example of a polarised sport, those at one end who want to do it just to say they did one, (people walking down the shallow part of the river in the swim leg in athy last year), and those who take it very seriously, changing their lifestyle to fit it in. is it a sport that allows something in the middle?

I don't think you need to be full on to love it and keep at it. I don't think you can combine a lifestyle of excesses with any sport at any sort of a reasonable level. Yes you can go on the lash and play junior D football but the football here facilitates the going on the lash.
    do you ever run or bike now just for the love of it? or does everything need to have a purpose?

I have always and will always run for the love of it. I love running. Its easy to do and clears the mind.
    I enjoy swimming and cycling too and yes I can "just swim" or "just cycle". Its fun.

That being said its more fun when you "flow" while running and can climb like a gazelle and swim "with" the water rather than in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

What, in your opinion, is the most damaging thing that novices do to wreck their chances of doing well at a race?

Again, in terms of training to be your best, what is the stupidest, most harmful trend you have seen in the sport?

One single piece of advice you would give to a novice that would help them improve?

Do you think the TI system of educating coaches is a good or a bad thing overall? Does it lead to a better understanding of how and why we train and what the purpose of individual sessions are? Or, will we end up with a bunch of people with a certificate just rattling off sessions that they read from a magazine and having no idea what their purpose is?

Single best gadget available to help with training?

You always remind me of Clint Eastwood characters with your bluntness and straight talking. Which Clint Eastwood character would you see yourself as, and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dave04

" Ability to recall things I read . " Hi , I wonder If you can remember the old triathlon Ireland website that had a forum on it ? many years ago now , some very entertaining too's and fro's on there!! Just wonder did you ever do a triathlon in Athy??..We've never met , I racked next to you in Kilkenny when I think you podiumed there a few years ago , would have liked to have said hello but bottled it!! power of the net eh!

pointer28 wrote: »
    What, in your opinion, is the most damaging thing that novices do to wreck their chances of doing well at a race?

The week - either cramming in training to get fit not realising that it takes at least two weeks to get benefit of training, or "carb loading" and sitting on their hole doing nothing.
    Again, in terms of training to be your best, what is the stupidest, most harmful trend you have seen in the sport?

Getting married
    One single piece of advice you would give to a novice that would help them improve?

Hurry slowly, take your time, have a five year plan.
    Do you think the TI system of educating coaches is a good or a bad thing overall?

I have been vocal on this matter for years. I think TI has failed in the coaching pathway. I could go on for ages but I think its an unmitigated failure.

Does it lead to a better understanding of how and why we train and what the purpose of individual sessions are?

The TI coaching - from what I have heard from those that did it, and were coached by them. Its pointless "I have a L2 TI badge" great I got a police badge with the Frosties. My question has always been:

What does L1 enable you to do? Health and safety
    What does L2 enable you to do? High level group training only.
    What does L3 enable you to do? Oh right thats still not done since Seb did the L2 course up all those years ago???

To get around this TI have said L1s can "act up" as L2 and, L2s as L3. Confidence inspiring?
    Or, will we end up with a bunch of people with a certificate just rattling off sessions that they read from a magazine and having no idea what their purpose is?

I already see this. Its interesting to hear back what people are doing in other clubs and then when you ask why............

Single best gadget available to help with training?

A weighing scales in the bathroom that does BF%
    You always remind me of Clint Eastwood characters with your bluntness and straight talking. Which Clint Eastwood character would you see yourself as, and why?

Why dress things up? Why mislead people?
    Walt Kowalski - not one for physical violence but more than one way to skin a cat.

dave04 wrote: »
    " Ability to recall things I read . " Hi , I wonder If you can remember the old triathlon Ireland website that had a forum on it ? many years ago now , some very entertaining too's and fro's on there!! Just wonder did you ever do a triathlon in Athy??..We've never met , I racked next to you in Kilkenny when I think you podiumed there a few years ago , would have liked to have said hello but bottled it!! power of the net eh!

Yes I remember it. Back when people thought I actually lived on that forum but didn't realise that unless you explicitly logged out a bug in the forum software showed you as logged in.

I did say remember what I read, not wrote :)

But yes I do remember some "robust discussions on there".

I did race in Athy - although to my mind Athy was set up AFTER those boards were shut down? I raced in Athy once the organising organisation changed. Enjoyed it too.

Should have said hello in kilkenny, even if that was to call be a c0ck :) (Did podium in that race, think third - KILLED that organiser to give me prize money)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hey Dave,
    Favourite meal - 3 courses and plonk to accompany
    What do you do for crust?
    How many hours a week do you work?
    5 dinner guests you'd have around and why?
    Favourite book?
    Boardsie you'd most like to beat in a sprint finish?
    Pick 2 boardsies for a relay team and why them?
    What do you make of the Dave Scott saying Lance should be let race Kona?
    What, in your opnion, is required to get a brick adult learner swimming a sub 6 400TT
    Do you just need to HTFU and SIU Princess for FF or is there more to it?
    Top 5 websites that you reference or read on training and nutrition?

Cheers

P.

Advertisement