Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Questions - Meet Tunney MOD WARNING POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »
    Hey Dave,
    Favourite meal - 3 courses and plonk to accompany
    Starters :
    Trio of Fois Grais : Terrine, Freshly cooked, and 100% fois grais pate
    Glass nice sauterne

Main course :
    In season wild fowl with some sort of veg and gratin potatoes
    A nice deep red

Desert :
    Creme Brulee
    Either more sauterne or a nice chablis
    What do you do for crust?

Development manager for a software company that develops data quality and data management solutions.
    How many hours a week do you work?
    50 ish
    5 dinner guests you'd have around and why?
    Can we make it six?
    My mates (tri and otherwise) and their partners. Why? Cause I get on with them and enjoy their company.
    Favourite book?

More of a series - the Arthur C Clarke Rama series for sheer enjoyment
    Willard Price's Adventure series for education. Ever wondered why you knew what a Narwhal was? or what a stone fish was and where it lived? Education disguised as entertainment. Will be getting the kids them too.
    Boardsie you'd most like to beat in a sprint finish?

Emmmmm no real opinion. Bambatta cause then that would mean I was back in shape.
    Pick 2 boardsies for a relay team and why them?

jackback for the swim and mloc for the run. Only way I'll get them to do those discplines.
    What do you make of the Dave Scott saying Lance should be let race Kona?

Don't really care. Would Lance be the only doper in the field?
    What, in your opnion, is required to get a brick adult learner swimming a sub 6 400TT

Tell ya when I can get the last 9 seconds knocked off mine :)
    Do you just need to HTFU and SIU Princess for FF or is there more to it?
    Both plus reform the habits

Top 5 websites that you reference or read on training and nutrition?

More of a book and research paper man. Websites tend to be unsubstantiated opinion dressed up as fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

tunney wrote: »
    Why dress things up? Why mislead people?
    Walt Kowalski - not one for physical violence but more than one way to skin a cat.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that bluntness and straight talking were a bad thing, in fact I think we could do with a lot more of it.

What do you make of the Dave Scott saying Lance should be let race Kona?

From "The Real Starky" :
    Dave Scott thinks Oscar Pistorius should be allowed to race Kona as long as we remove the bathroom door from his hotel room.

Dave Scott thinks Osama Bin Laden would be great for triathlon if he were still alive.

Dave Scott thinks they should let OJ Simpson race Kona.

From "The Real Starky" :
    Dave Scott thinks Oscar Pistorius should be allowed to race Kona as long as we remove the bathroom door from his hotel room.

Dave Scott thinks Osama Bin Laden would be great for triathlon if he were still alive.

Dave Scott thinks they should let OJ Simpson race Kona.

Dave Scott thinks a lot of top athletes would drink chocolate milk, even if they weren't being paid. @GotChocoMilk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Development manager for a software company that develops data quality and data management solutions.

Which one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

What club are you a member of

Zebrano wrote: »
    What club are you a member of

Phoenix TC

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

This is probably a bit advanced for me at the moment
    Is there a club you would recommend in north dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Present pbs are 16:30 for a 5km, 34 for a 10km, 56 for a ten miler

What sort of mileage were you putting in to hit those times? Say average for the previous 3 months. Also % speedwork?

Was fatigue an issue when you were training at your hardest? I ask as someone who struggles with fatigue, eat well, sleep well but end up physically fatigued (completely flat) more often than I'd like. (Not just lazy and 'tired'. Can run that off :) )

Oh - and where did that time place you in Lisbon?!

Zebrano wrote: »
    This is probably a bit advanced for me at the moment
    Is there a club you would recommend in north dublin

I hear Fingal are good. Piranha too. 3dtri as well.

• Advertisement

Basster wrote: »
    Present pbs are 16:30 for a 5km, 34 for a 10km, 56 for a ten miler

What sort of mileage were you putting in to hit those times? Say average for the previous 3 months. Also % speedwork?

Was fatigue an issue when you were training at your hardest? I ask as someone who struggles with fatigue, eat well, sleep well but end up physically fatigued (completely flat) more often than I'd like. (Not just lazy and 'tired'. Can run that off :) )

Oh - and where did that time place you in Lisbon?!

Going to have to wait until near PC with WKO to get that data for you.

So back to the question that a few have asked.
    Seemingly there is a perception on here of me being mean.
    Seemingly this perception is not always shared by those meet me.

So how do I reconcile these two statements. Made more difficult by the entirely unnecessary mod warning in post 1.

I will try.......

Go back over my posts from the last few years. With a few notable (but not mentionable) exceptions there has been very little unsolicited training or event related advice. Very little on posts from people I don't know. Much less than there would have been 4-5 years ago.

When I ask a question on any forum its because I want advice, opinion and fact from those who have experience in the area I am asking about. I want to be told if something is feasible, sensible and recommended. Historically I assumed others behaved in the same way. What I have learnt is that alot of people just want to be told they are great, their ideas are great and their approaches are great.

With this revelation I scaled back massively my unsolicited and unwanted responses. With a few exceptions - why I feel the urge to disagree and argue with Peter the whole time I do not know. I shouldn't but I do. The other way I tend to get involved and be an ar$e is if unprovoked personal abuse is directed at me. Then I will pay attention to posts and blogs from the abusers and call them out on their bullsh1t, but I won't "fire first" so to speak. If people choose to get offended at solicited and wanted advice from other posters so be it. Ignore me, put me on the ignores list, whatever lets you live in your own little bubble. But vicious and highly personal abuse, that's going to get my attention.

Now if you were a mod you could go back over my PMs, what you will see is the complete opposite. People asking me for help with training and event advice - and me responding in detail. I'm happy to help all and sundry, just not publicly really as the abuse I get from people who have nothing to do with the threads is too much. PMs or tunney@gmail - always on, always happy to talk. (With one notable exception that I have failed to help but am aiming to rectify)

So why do people think I'm a d1ck on boards. A spade is a spade and I used to have no problem in telling people what they didn't want to hear. I have realised that people want agreement and placations rather than opining and discussion, so that might help in the future. Am I any different in real life? Well that's for others to comment on.

Perfect day, perfect accurate course, 6 months of consistent training - how fast can you go?

Given the context has been clarified as IM this is a very good question.

6 months is not enough time to prepare for an IM.
    Newbies to the sport should be on a five year plan to IM. Anything less is a bad idea. (Paul you've been on a five year plan you just didn't know it so calm down). People returning from significant lay offs (like myself) need somewhere between a 3 and 5 year plan to do one right.

Given just 6 months I could do a 9:58
    Given 3 months probably 10:30 (I'm hoping)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

PT-paddles

Crap, I can't get these anywhere, apparently FINIS are releasing a new version in a few months.

Do you find a large benefit of these PT Paddles over a closed fist drill?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Crap, I can't get these anywhere, apparently FINIS are releasing a new version in a few months.

Do you find a large benefit of these PT Paddles over a closed fist drill?

Yes huge.

They did this 5 years ago as well (well finis bought the company).

There are other anti-paddles that are recommend by people I trust but I have never tried them - a search for anti-paddles should work and if you find ones in stock I'm happy to advise as to whether they are any good or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

Base 2 Race had one set of PT paddles yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Mandatory dinner with Garth Brooks or Michael Flatley, after which you must sit through a performance?
    Is it true that after the LOONNNNGGG drive to Belmullet last September that you had a sleep in the van while your travelling companions did a short & absolutely pointless run?
    What do you say about the rumours that before the 2008 Lisboa Half that someone lied to you about the severity of hills on the course so that you would stop annoying them by faffing with your gears?
    Is it possible that that the very tired male person you made bring you to the hospital in Austria 2009 was assumed to be your life partner by the doctor?
    Is it true that in Lisboa 2008 you had a 3rd dessert & half a bottle of wine the night before the race?
    Can you confirm that in Wimbleball 2008 you indulged your self righteous white van driver alter ego?
    Is it possible that you laughed while your travelling companion went over the handlebars into a puddle while lost in Belmulllet in October 2010, having lodged his front wheel in a drain gate?

LCD wrote: »
    Mandatory dinner with Garth Brooks or Michael Flatley, after which you must sit through a performance?

Flatley - hot dancers dancing with him
    Is it true that after the LOONNNNGGG drive to Belmullet last September that you had a sleep in the van while your travelling companions did a short & absolutely pointless run?

It was freezing cold, very windy, I was tired and really it was the least of my problems for that race.
    What do you say about the rumours that before the 2008 Lisboa Half that someone lied to you about the severity of hills on the course so that you would stop annoying them by faffing with your gears?

Yes, thankfully I ignored said c0ck and fixed my gears anyways cause I needed the 25
    Is it possible that that the very tired male person you made bring you to the hospital in Austria 2009 was assumed to be your life partner by the doctor?
    HAHAHAHA I had forgotten this. This was the same lad who rode the hotels sit up and beg high nelly commuter bike in normal clothes but while wearing an aero helmet. He also did this while not realising that he might look like a twat.
    Is it true that in Lisboa 2008 you had a 3rd dessert & half a bottle of wine the night before the race?
    No. I had the wine and a dessert.
    Can you confirm that in Wimbleball 2008 you indulged your self righteous white van driver alter ego?

That was Reville.
    Is it possible that you laughed while your travelling companion went over the handlebars into a puddle while lost in Belmulllet in October 2010, having lodged his front wheel in a drain gate?

I may have wet myself on that one. I did make up for it by ordering a Bulmers Berry for the lad in a rough enough mans pub. "Bulmers Berry????? Here is a Guinness"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Which boardsie you've never met would you like to go for a beer with, and why? And would take care of the tab or would it be Dutch treat?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Which boardsie you've never met would you like to go for a beer with, and why? And would take care of the tab or would it be Dutch treat?

Yourself. You seem like an interesting character - and sure haven't I already promised you a pint after DCM.

To be honest I have met alot of boardsie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Will you ever go back to Lisbon for another go?

If you went tomorrow, what time could you do? (cracking course, didn't get to even see the run section last year due to sickness but definitely going back soon......)

Why haven't you answered my PM from weeks ago? ;)

EC1000 wrote: »
    Will you ever go back to Lisbon for another go?

If you went tomorrow, what time could you do? (cracking course, didn't get to even see the run section last year due to sickness but definitely going back soon......)

Why haven't you answered my PM from weeks ago? ;)

On the PM - I've nothing in my inbox from you?

No I would never go back to Lisbon. Nothing could top that day and I would not like to sully the memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

On the PM - I've nothing in my inbox from you?

No I would never go back to Lisbon. Nothing could top that day and I would not like to sully the memory!

Hmmmmm, on checking my sent messages your story checks out. Couldn't be arsed typing it again - was about Garmin and HR issues!

EC1000 wrote: »
    Hmmmmm, on checking my sent messages your story checks out. Couldn't be arsed typing it again - was about Garmin and HR issues!

Assuming I can guess your question:

Basically the original straps from the 310xt era (hard and premium) were told junk. The only way to get meaningful data was to use a polar soft strap and put the garmin transmitter in there.

The ones that came out with the 910xt weren't any better. A few iterations later and they are alot better, which is good as Polar have stopped making the top end straps and have gone to the same approach as Garmin. That being said with the latest from each you should get good data *most* of the time. Both are still very susceptible to static.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

How many athletes do you coach?

Have they mostly some connection with you through Phoenox Tri? Or what would be the general makeup of your clientele?

Out of the athletes you coach, whose performance most impressed you?

Is the satisfaction you take from one of your athletes doing well comparable to doing well yourself?

Do all your athletes have PMs? Would you coach someone without one?:)

zico10 wrote: »
    How many athletes do you coach?

This year more than I like - eight. I replaced some that had said they were going solo or I suspected were going solo. They either didn't go or asked to come back and since by and large everyone I've worked with became a friend I couldn't say no. Eight people. I make nothing from it really. I either charge nothing (although tend to get wine at the end of the season cheers Ray, best I've had in a while), or very little. Its a labour of love. Its not a business, I suppose I started it to train/race vicariously when I wasn't.
    Have they mostly some connection with you through Phoenox Tri?

None. Two sub-sequentially became members.
    Or what would be the general makeup of your clientele?

Mostly male. Other than that nothing in common. Some long course. Some short course. Some back of packers, some race winners. I do enjoy reading clubs singing the praises of the merits of their club training based on the performances and improvements from some of their members and then chuckle to myself that "if only they knew......"
    Out of the athletes you coach, whose performance most impressed you?

Not my place to name or elude to who I coach. People are free to say I work with them but not my place to say who I work with.

Some have massively impressed with one offs, some I can see where they are going and if they stay the course..........
    Is the satisfaction you take from one of your athletes doing well comparable to doing well yourself?

Yes. Without a doubt. Also sucks when they do badly though.
    Do all your athletes have PMs? Would you coach someone without one?:)

50/50 pms to not.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Are you planning to do DCM this year? If so what's the goal time?

ray o wrote: »
    Are you planning to do DCM this year? If so what's the goal time?

I don't know if I am. I don't want to jump from big event to big event never really getting properly fit. I have some reflection and discussion in my near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

What are your thoughts on dairy and the avoidance of it regardless of lactose intolerance?

• Advertisement

ray o wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on dairy and the avoidance of it regardless of lactose intolerance?

Anything to excessive is fine.

I think alot of people have invented lactose and gluten intolerences.

I like milk and cheese and would never recommend avoiding them unless allergic. Allergic being defined as anaphylactic shock from ingestion or IgE testing. Makey up tests and new age cr@p don't cut it with me :)

Advertisement