Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekly Questions - Meet Tunney MOD WARNING POST 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

tunney wrote: »
    Anything to excessive is fine.

I think alot of people have invented lactose and gluten intolerences.

I like milk and cheese and would never recommend avoiding them unless allergic. Allergic being defined as anaphylactic shock from ingestion or IgE testing. Makey up tests and new age cr@p don't cut it with me :)

I'm not allergic, I have an intolerance. A pretty bad intolerance to dairy and a lessor intolerance to wheat.

New age crap or me being a ginger pussy??

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What makes you angry?
    What makes you laugh?
    Has a film ever made you cry?
    If you could make coaching pay, would you consider it as a full time job?
    Describe your favourite sessions in each s/b/r discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BTH wrote: »
    I'm not allergic, I have an intolerance. A pretty bad intolerance to dairy and a lessor intolerance to wheat.

New age crap or me being a ginger pussy??

The anaphylactic aspect was tongue in cheek. If there is an evidence based diagnosis then fine.

Actual issue with dairy and wheat and being a ginger pussy are not mutually exclusive by the way.

Oryx wrote: »
    What makes you angry?

Bad parenting. Why would people treat any kids, but especially their own, as badly as some people do.
    What makes you laugh?
    My kids playing. And The Lego Movie
    Has a film ever made you cry?

Yes. Only two or so. Strangely enough "Run Fat Boy Run" was one.
    If you could make coaching pay, would you consider it as a full time job?

I'm rather good at my day job (well my old role, still finding my feet in my new one). I'd have to charge alot more to make it pay. Plus if it was bread and butter I could not be as selective in who I work with.
    Describe your favourite sessions in each s/b/r discipline.

Swim : start off with PT/sw work, then into fast 50s and then threshold 200s
    Bike : Hour of Power
    Run : Hill reps in Howth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

you have young kids, round same age as mine i think, which means less time for training than you used to have
    do you look forward to getting back into it more seriously when they are older ( teens ) or do you think that far ahead..
    have they any interest in sport / triathlon yet..

• Advertisement

woody1 wrote: »
    you have young kids, round same age as mine i think, which means less time for training than you used to have
    do you look forward to getting back into it more seriously when they are older ( teens ) or do you think that far ahead..
    have they any interest in sport / triathlon yet..

Yes Aoibhe 4, Eoin 2 - much less time for training. Peak time used to be 6-8 for training. Which is now the only time I get to see the kids.

No I'm not looking forward to having more time as I am enjoying spending my time with the kids. I will look back on these years always with fond memories. In a few years I'll be "the auld pr1ck". Right now I can do no wrong :)

She does swimming lessons in Alsaa.
    He has amazing hand eye co-ordination.

I'll never put them into triathlon. Its not a sport for kids. They'll play with the small ball and the big ball with Na Fianna, run with Clonliffe and do swimming lessons. Then they can pick what they do long term wise. I think team sports are essential for so many reasons.

look forward was possibly the wrong way to say it, more do you think youl get back into it when their bigger ..but obviously not..

i know that i cant / wont even contemplate an ironman until my kids are much bigger...( we wont get into whether id be able for it ) youve been there and done that so different situation... and i work 20hr week and have the kids rest of the time so different situation there too

i was more asking do they have any interest in what your doing training wise, go to races , or would they be complaining at the mention of it..

my 3 year old loves it, watches me on the turbo / sits on his own bike and pedals away, helps me find gear whilst im getting ready , will sit and watch cycling/tri on the telly,loves going to races. 5 year old , whilst active enough, wants nothing to do with it,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'll never put them into triathlon. Its not a sport for kids.

Do you think this is a problem for the future of triathlon as a sport? Triathlon and athletics/running both get lots of people taking it up as adults, often after they drop team sports. But in athletics they're joining an existing structure (or some of them are) of juvenile athletics, and athletes who have been in the sport as juveniles. Can triathlon develop that club structure without a juvenile base, and if it doesn't, will it always be something that most people wash in to for a few years and wash out of again?

woody1 wrote: »
    look forward was possibly the wrong way to say it, more do you think youl get back into it when their bigger ..but obviously not..

i know that i cant / wont even contemplate an ironman until my kids are much bigger...( we wont get into whether id be able for it ) youve been there and done that so different situation... and i work 20hr week and have the kids rest of the time so different situation there too

i was more asking do they have any interest in what your doing training wise, go to races , or would they be complaining at the mention of it..

my 3 year old loves it, watches me on the turbo / sits on his own bike and pedals away, helps me find gear whilst im getting ready , will sit and watch cycling/tri on the telly,loves going to races. 5 year old , whilst active enough, wants nothing to do with it,

Ahhhh got you.
    When I have more time that I can spend on myself I will do so!

What they think training wise?

Mammy runs and goes to the gym. This is just normal. If she leaves the house without the kids while not wearing running/gym gear then there are floods of tears.

I think they think I work with bikes. Fixing bikes is something I just do and they help. They actually do help, a grubby cassette, some warm water and 30 minutes and my cassette is sparkling. Chains not so good at. They refer to my cycling gear as "Daddy's work clothes". I met them for lunch one day and was dressed in work attire "DADDY DADDY WHERE ARE YOU WORK CLOTHES YOU ARE MEANT TO BE IN WORK!!!???!?!?!?!?"
    A bike on the turbo is part and parcel of the house and if they are bored they can always find a wheel or two in the shed to roll around the garden.

So yes sports and exercise are part and parcel of their life and long may it continue

RayCun wrote: »
    Do you think this is a problem for the future of triathlon as a sport? Triathlon and athletics/running both get lots of people taking it up as adults, often after they drop team sports. But in athletics they're joining an existing structure (or some of them are) of juvenile athletics, and athletes who have been in the sport as juveniles. Can triathlon develop that club structure without a juvenile base, and if it doesn't, will it always be something that most people wash in to for a few years and wash out of again?

See my previous post on coaching in Ireland :)

But apart from the complete lack of infrastructure there are other issues. One being the antisocial nature of triathlon in general, another being cost.

Ultimately triathlon is and will remain a MAMIL sport.

If my kids said "Dad, we've done the swimming, running and GAA, can we try triathlon?" Then of course but its not a sport people start in.

• Advertisement

If she leaves the house without the kids while not wearing running/gym gear then there are floods of tears.

So yes sports and exercise are part and parcel of their life and long may it continue

same as that, my youngest was at my parents house whilst i went out cycling and he was grand, told granny he doesnt miss daddy when hes cycling only when hes gone doing other things,

dont think triathlon is for kids / young teens anyway.. too much to keep on the go with the three disciplines.. il have my 2 able to swim and thatl be an advantage to them if they want to get into it when their bigger

if you had gotten into it younger , particularly swimming ,do you think you couldve been much more competitive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

You've posted on Boards for ages, so-
    What's the best thing about this forum?
    What's the worst thing?
    What would you change if you were a moderator?
    With your running focus, do you wish the MAMILs and the joggers were still on the one forum?
    How often have you been banned? What % of them were deserved?
    Who is (or was) your "must-read" poster, and why?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    You've posted on Boards for ages, so-
    What's the best thing about this forum?

Its a bit of craic, a decent way to stay in contact with people and thrash talk.
    What's the worst thing?

Very very little discussion or content. There are a few I'd like to discuss things with but everything ends up being shouted down with a "I've done two sprint tris I know the best way" or a sales pitch for XYZ coaching.
    What would you change if you were a moderator?

Nothing now, if you asked me a few weeks ago I could think of something.

Seriously though the no medical advice thing should be looked at again. Not from a view of removing it but extending it to "that idea is absolutely stupid and people entertaining it will result in serious injury".
    With your running focus, do you wish the MAMILs and the joggers were still on the one forum?

Nope, even when/if I return to pure running I'm unlikely to ever go there.
    As bad as this board can be that one is a fecking disaster.
    How often have you been banned? What % of them were deserved?

Who knows how many, quite a few. I was suggested as a mod for the board but my banning/warning history precluded me for consideration.
    With the exception of one brutal mod some years ago - can't remember his name, last about a year, was a total c0ck - the mods are fair and anything I've gotten is deserved.
    Who is (or was) your "must-read" poster, and why?

Hunnymonster was one when she was active in tri. I'll read most posters threads, some I avoid but most I'll read.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Yes Aoibhe 4, Eoin 2 - much less time for training. Peak time used to be 6-8 for training. Which is now the only time I get to see the kids.

No I'm not looking forward to having more time as I am enjoying spending my time with the kids. I will look back on these years always with fond memories. In a few years I'll be "the auld pr1ck". Right now I can do no wrong :)

She does swimming lessons in Alsaa.
    He has amazing hand eye co-ordination.

I'll never put them into triathlon. Its not a sport for kids. They'll play with the small ball and the big ball with Na Fianna, run with Clonliffe and do swimming lessons. Then they can pick what they do long term wise. I think team sports are essential for so many reasons.

until you buy them a car you will never have time to yourself again, soccor,rugby, hurling, ballet,swimming,guitar,sowing,set dancing etc,etc... just to mention a few of the kids afterschool activities:D:D:D, silly o'clock sessions are the norm till they move out:)

if one of the your kids was to excel in any sport, what sport would you like that to be and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Hey tunney,

What would be your dream bike set up?

You say you do a bit of bike fitting in your shed, what's the biggest problem you see with people's fits? Saddle too high?

From following your log you seem to sick a fair bit of time, do you put this down to the kids or is something that seems to follow you? Ask this because I've gone from an office with 2 women with kids under 3 to a office with a fella who has no kids and I haven't been sick since. Starting to think I was catching everything of the mothers who seemed to try to outdo each other with who had the sickest child.

Again from reading your log you seem to know a good bit about a lot of stuff (Don't mean that in a bad way btw), and you say you can remember stuff you read fairly handy, did this make you good in school or is it more in stuff you have an interest in?

joey100 wrote: »
    Hey tunney,

What would be your dream bike set up?
    TT : Cervelo P5, Durace, SRMs, Lightweight disc, Hed H3D
    Road : Cervelo RCA, Durace, SRMs, Lightweight wheels
    You say you do a bit of bike fitting in your shed, what's the biggest problem you see with people's fits? Saddle too high?

Thinking lower is faster.
    Getting fitted in shops.
    From following your log you seem to sick a fair bit of time, do you put this down to the kids or is something that seems to follow you? Ask this because I've gone from an office with 2 women with kids under 3 to a office with a fella who has no kids and I haven't been sick since. Starting to think I was catching everything of the mothers who seemed to try to outdo each other with who had the sickest child.

Kids do make things worse illness wise. The majority of my sniffles are lifestyle related. I have not lived a healthy lifestyle in a few years and that leaves me open to infection.
    Again from reading your log you seem to know a good bit about a lot of stuff (Don't mean that in a bad way btw), and you say you can remember stuff you read fairly handy, did this make you good in school or is it more in stuff you have an interest in?

I was good in school. I used to read a book a day from an early age. Science and non fiction as well as fiction. So that helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Yourself. You seem like an interesting character - and sure haven't I already promised you a pint after DCM.

^^Can we make this Jagermeister and dancing then?

(Because I don't believe you answered this from before....) Any pre-race/race rituals or superstitions?

What are three things you bring to an athlete as his/her coach that he/she might lack without you?

Best pickup line you've ever used? And did it work?

Most embarrassing moment in a race?

Favorite color?

If I were to hop in your car with you right now, what would be playing on the radio? And would your car be a mess and/or smell bad?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    ^^Can we make this Jagermeister and dancing then?

Of course
    (Because I don't believe you answered this from before....) Any pre-race/race rituals or superstitions?

Nope. Just the warm up. You are prepared or you are not.
    What are three things you bring to an athlete as his/her coach that he/she might lack without you?

Effective use of time.
    Accountability.
    Focused, purposeful training
    Best pickup line you've ever used?

Fancy a shag?
    (only good cause it worked)
    Most embarrassing moment in a race?

Voiding my bowls 6km into the run in a bush in Ireman in 2008 (food poisoning)
    Favorite color?

Green
    If I were to hop in your car with you right now, what would be playing on the radio? And would your car be a mess and/or smell bad?

Mess yes, smell no.

90s hardcore - live at fantasia or the like

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Why are you hated so much by certain race organisers?

:pac:

mloc123 wrote: »
    Why are you hated so much by certain race organisers?

:pac:

Any interesting emails to your work recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I work with programmers on a daily basis - every single one of them over the years have conformed to a certain stereotype. Irritable, moody, arrogant, never deliver on time and always go out sick once any semblance of pressure is applied to them - I think it comes with the territory would you agree or disagree with this opinion

I am highly suspicious you are a public school boy - blackrock?

If so - is it right that the tax payer should be supporting them?

Have you ever questioned your methodology with Jackyback - he hasn't performed in many of his A races why?

You seem to have finally resigned yourself to not being as good as you were 5/6 years ago - is there an element of frustration at ill luck coming when you were at your peak for your ironman races - would you ever have gone sub 9

What Irish triathlete would you most like to coach and why?

How do you think Shane Scully will do in Sweden

catweazle wrote: »
    I work with programmers on a daily basis - every single one of them over the years have conformed to a certain stereotype. Irritable, moody, arrogant, never deliver on time and always go out sick once any semblance of pressure is applied to them - I think it comes with the territory would you agree or disagree with this opinion

People that match that stereotype exist no doubt. I have never had the misfortune of working with that type though.
    I am highly suspicious you are a public school boy - blackrock?

Nope - Templeogue, we still tried to play rugby but as a normal school didn't have the resources to compete.

If so - is it right that the tax payer should be supporting them?

Nope not at all correct, 100% fee paying or no fees, one or the other
    Have you ever questioned your methodology with Jackyback - he hasn't performed in many of his A races why?

I'm happy to discuss myself until the cows come home. Others no. I don't think there is much wrong with the methodology and I do know what is wrong but thats not my place to discuss.
    You seem to have finally resigned yourself to not being as good as you were 5/6 years ago - is there an element of frustration at ill luck coming when you were at your peak for your ironman races
    - would you ever have gone sub 9

Some slight annoyance. In 2009 I was much strong on the bike, in the pool and on the run. Would I have gone sub nine, god no, but I would not have been far behind Dolan that year, 20 minutes.
    What Irish triathlete would you most like to coach and why?

Happy with who I have and am unlikely to take any more on.
    How do you think Shane Scully will do in Sweden

I know the name but thats it I am afraid. North Tipp organiser. Refreshingly honest. Fraid I know little more about the lad.

Nope - Templeogue, we still tried to play rugby but as a normal school didn't have the resources to compete.

Finishing in what year?

RayCun wrote: »
    Finishing in what year?

Did the Leaving in 1997. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

For your average MOP person, what would you say is the key session they should aim to hit in each discipline across the 4 distances (Sprint/OLY/HIM/IM)? I know it's hard to generalise but say your average Joe that does around 8 to 10 sessions a week.

Have you ever tried campag or SRAM? You seem to be a big dura ace fan.

Any PROs that you like to keep track of or follow?

Macca or Lance as a dinner guest? :D

Have you ever lived outside Dubland?

Did the Leaving in 1997. Why?

I was Templeogue too (Leaving in 89) and so was my brother (Leaving in 94?)

pgibbo wrote: »
    For your average MOP person, what would you say is the key session they should aim to hit in each discipline across the 4 distances (Sprint/OLY/HIM/IM)? I know it's hard to generalise but say your average Joe that does around 8 to 10 sessions a week.

Long bike, long run, hard bike, hard swim.
    Have you ever tried campag or SRAM? You seem to be a big dura ace fan.

I have Campag on my fixie :) Nice brakes

No been Shimano since I was 12.
    Any PROs that you like to keep track of or follow?

I more follow pro cycling to be honest, as clean as pro tri, but more entertaining.

I do like Faris though.
    Macca or Lance as a dinner guest? :D

Dine alone.

Have you ever lived outside Dubland?

Bar summers in West Kerry and visits to the in-laws no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Any interesting emails to your work recently?

I just got the phone calls to my work and my mobile, never got the e-mails. I feel left out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Long bike, long run, hard bike, hard swim.

How long should people build up to in your opinion for the bike and run for OLY & HIM & IM? Or do you think it should be time based, particualrly for the run?

I know from experience that having only ran 10 miles once and not running more that 7 apart from that one 10 miler is not advisable for a HIM :pac:

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    I just got the phone calls to my work and my mobile, never got the e-mails. I feel left out :pac:

yes alot of people nearly lost their jobs over those phone calls, some did. Nice race organiser.

Advertisement